[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elector Changes His Vote - To Bernie Sanders

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: bernie-laugh.jpg (39KB, 905x480px) Image search: [Google]
bernie-laugh.jpg
39KB, 905x480px
lol

Entire article at:
http://www.salon.com/2016/12/19/maine-electoral-college-voter-defects-from-hillary-clinton-to-bernie-sanders/
MONDAY, DEC 19, 2016

Maine Electoral College voter defects — from Hillary Clinton to Bernie Sanders
One elector has followed his conscience instead of bowing to party politics. He's a Democrat who jilted Hillary

Since Donald Trump’s upset victory on Election Day, many of his critics have been calling upon members of the Electoral College, the official body assigned by the Constitution with electing the president, to refuse to cast ballots on his behalf, even if a majority of voters in their respective states had done so.

Thus far on Monday, as electors meet in the 50 state capitals, Trump has had no defections. His former opponent Hillary Clinton, however, suffered her first one early in the day in Maine, where elector David Bright cast his ballot for the man Clinton beat for the Democratic presidential nomination, Bernie Sanders.

In a statement posted to his Facebook page, Bright said that he was casting his vote to fit with the wishes of Maine Democrats, who had voted in their party caucuses for the Vermont senator by a margin of nearly 2-to-1: “I am not a Clinton elector, I am a Democratic elector. I do not represent Democrats all over the country, I represent the Democrats in Maine.”

Bright, who ran as a delegate seeking to represent Sanders for the Democratic National Convention, said that he would have cast a ballot for Clinton if there had been a chance of Trump losing the Electoral College vote. He didn’t see that as likely, however.

“If my vote today could have helped Secretary Clinton win the presidency, I would have voted for her. But as the Electoral College meets all across this nation on this day, I see no likelihood of 38 Republican electors defecting from their party and casting their ballots for Secretary Clinton.”

cont.
>>
>>93059

Update 14:55 ET. Another elector in Minnesota tried to defect from Clinton.Muhammad Abdurrahman, a former Sanders DNC delegate, cast a ballot for the Vermont senator but was removed from his office and replaced by an alternate who voted for Clinton as per Minnesota law before the state’s official totals were submitted.

Update 15:02 ET. After Bright cast his first ballot for Sanders as he described beforehand, he switched his vote to Clinton on a second ballot after his initial vote was ruled out of order. Clinton won the state’s popular vote on Election Day.

Update 15:15 ET. In Colorado, one elector attempted to cast a ballot for Ohio governor John Kasich but his vote was invalidated by Colorado Secretary of State Wayne Williams. The vote for Kasich was an apparent nod to the “Hamilton Elector” strategy of getting both Democrats and Republicans to cast votes for an alternative Republican candidate. Clinton won the state’s popular vote on Election Day.
>>
>>93061
>his initial vote was ruled out of order. Clinton won the state’s popular vote on Election Day.

because bernie wasn't on the fucking ballot. is this proof that voting doesn't matter? I sure think so.
>>
>>93059
>“I am not a Clinton elector, I am a Democratic elector. I do not represent Democrats all over the country, I represent the Democrats in Maine.”
Whatever your qualms may be with the Democratic party, this is an admirable position to take.
>>
>>93096
This is the position the electors are, ideally, supposed to take.
>>
>>93096
>Whatever your qualms may be with the Democratic party, this is an admirable position to take.

No, electors in all states should be required to vote however their state went in the Electoral College.

The President serves ALL the People of the U.S.A. and no state should be able to just do whatever the fuck they want in a national election.
>>
>>93100
>however their state went

gonna need to be more clear. for intents and purposes, the electives are the state. Do you mean the people living in the state?
>>
>>93059
The electoral college exists both to ensure that states are relevant, and that retarded plebs can't vote for an insane nutbag.

The latter has become impossible with electors chosen solely from the ranks of partisan loyalists in 9 out of 10 cases, but the former is still a valid reason for it to exist.

Clinton losing more votes than Trump is still funny as fuck, though.
>>
>>93108
> > however their state went
> gonna need to be more clear.

ALL electors must required vote for the candidate who won that state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

>>93127
>that retarded plebs can't vote for an insane nutbag.

By "retarded plebs", you mean the American People?
>>
>>93145
Wrong. Maine is a split state.

At least try to learn how this works.
>>
>>93154
>Wrong. Maine is a split state.

No shit Sherlock, the point is that all electors SHOULD BE REQUIRED to vote for the candidate who won that state.

This is a Federal election for President, individual states shouldn't be allowed to make up their own rules.

For in-state elections such as for governor or dog catcher, the individual states should be able to do what they like but not for national elections; everybody has to be on the same page.
>>
>>93157
>no I wasn't wrong, you just didn't understand what I meant to write!

You need to write better posts you illiterate retard.

Either way, it doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. Split state vote is better than winner takes all, and your argument of "they need to all be on the same page" is both vague and fruitless.
>>
>>93163
> I can't read for context

Either way, you're a moron;

> Split state vote is better than winner takes all

Which completely subverts the entire point of the Electoral College, which is to insure the President represents the ENTIRE United States of America, not just NYC and LA.
>>
>>93176
>Which completely subverts the entire point of the Electoral College, which is to insure the President represents the ENTIRE United States of America

The Electoral College doesn't even do that.
>>
>>93176
>the entire point of the Electoral College

The entire point, if you read what the founders actually wrote, is to prevent the possibility of the majority from voting in a populist demagogue. State laws binding electors to their popular votes (which are arguably unconsitutional btw) kind of defeat that purpose for about half the states.

We do seem to have a well-informed electorate now that many or most of the original arguments for the EC are obsolete though, but I suppose the Founding Fathers also didn't predict that a 90% educated 90% literate population can still be swayed by a populist demagogue.
>>
>>93539
>We do seem to have a well-informed electorate
laughingtomcruise.jpg
>>
>>93562

Compared to the late 18th century that is most certainly true. We have mandated secondary education, the entire population is literate, and most have a bevy of news sources available to them at the mere press of a button. Compare to the past, where the average subsistence farmer has maybe a primary education at best, can barely write his name and needs to dictate letters to a notary, and his only news source is a single newsletter if he lives near a major city or just the town crier riding in on horseback if he doesn't. Sure the modern voter might eschew all of that and act like an idiot, but it's still a far cry from the past where these things simply weren't available to the common man.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.