[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Germany's Wildly Complex Fusion Reactor Is Actually Working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: wendelstein7-xtorushall-2011[1].jpg (122KB, 810x540px) Image search: [Google]
wendelstein7-xtorushall-2011[1].jpg
122KB, 810x540px
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a24172/fusion-reactor-working/
>The Wendelstein 7-X reactor, which uses a complex design called a stellerator, is performing just like it was predicted to.

http://interestingengineering.com/germanys-new-machine-brings-us-leaps-closer-nuclear-fusion/http://interestingengineering.com/germanys-new-machine-brings-us-leaps-closer-nuclear-fusion/
>Germany’s New Machine Brings Us Leaps Closer to Nuclear Fusion

http://www.ibtimes.com/nuclear-fusion-germanys-wendelstein-7-x-stellarator-operating-expected-2456267
>Currently, the approach toward testing the viability of nuclear fusion involves using either a tokamak or a stellarator. A tokamak — one of which is currently being tested by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Plasma Science and Fusion Center — is a doughnut-shaped device that can contain high-energy plasma using two-dimensional magnetic fields created by a ring of magnets. On the other hand, the stellarator — whose design is still largely untested — performs the same function using twisted, 3D magnetic fields.

>The world’s largest stellarator is currently being operated by the Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics in Germany, and researchers have now revealed that the extraordinarily complex device is functioning as expected.
http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13493
>Confirmation of the topology of the Wendelstein 7-X magnetic field to better than 1:100,000
>>
We're saved. I was losing hope.
>>
>>90143
physics fag here. Plasma physics is probably the most difficult of all of the fields. It's absolute insanity

You have to be a god at math up to advances subjects in topology, you have to be extremely proficient in Thermo, extremely proficient in Emag, and extremely proficient in fluids.

It's an absolute clusterfuck that you'd have to go to school for 28 years to even begin to understand.
>>
>>90162
>It's an absolute clusterfuck that you'd have to go to school for 28 years to even begin to understand.

Dear science,

Make me immortal, and I'll do it with pleasure.

t. brainlet
>>
>>90162
When I first saw this, I thought it was either fake or some sort of meme:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/7SQA7.jpg
>>
I hope it blows up and kills us all
>>
>>90171
Well I certainly deserve it, I don't know about "all"
>>
>>90171
Why would it do that? The worst it can do is not do what it's supposed to. This is not at all like fission. It's mostly safe and clean. One of the reasons we're pursuing it.
>>
>>90171
Fusion reactors really don't blow up, they just stop working. Might fuck up the insides if that thing fails but no explosion.
>>
>>90172
no

>>90213
>>90275
a man can hope
>>
we may yet be saved from dependence on extractive energy.
thankfully an intelligent population with sensible government and economy as the germans are inherently more impervious to oil cartel propaganda
>>
>wildy
>Actually
>Working
Im sick of this clickbait shit that talks to me like im a mentally deficient 12 year old girl
The people that write these shlock headlines should be Guillotined
>>
>>90162
>>90162
>you'd have to go to school for 28 years to even begin to understand
One of my profs once said that one lifetime isn't enough for a career in physics.
>>
>>90285
Right?

>Germany’s New Machine Brings Us Leaps Closer to Nuclear Fusion
Fusion has been happening for a while now.
>>
>>90404
fuck
i was hoping to begin mine at the age of 40

oh well time to an hero
>>
>>90414
It's easy to say 'boy cried wolf' when you don't really have any real comprehension by how much this brings us closer to realizing it.

People these days all expect that if something hasn't happened yesterday it will never happen. Turn off your dumbphone.

Luckily, hard-working people continue to make useful contributions despite plebs jeering at them from their cheeto dust-covered battlestations.
>>
>>90417
A few years ago i would have told you to go for your dreams. Now that i'm in my second year of a phys masters i can confidently say that it probably isn't worth it to start now. I'm 23 and feel like i'm nowhere.
>>
>>90435
>feel like i'm nowhere
it depends, really. especially on how much you pay attention
or is your name Jon Snow?
>>
Hope still rides along, good to hear that there is progress despite the oil and coal lobbies pulling out all the stops.
>>
>>90435
Explain
I want a future degree in physics
>>
>>90165
I also want to submit myself to that, if I was immortal. Really most of our research should be going towards life extension and regeneration.
>>
>>90143
What's it powered from?
The souls of 100 dead kids?
>>
>>90417
There were people who got their claim to fame at a later age. However that was back then when things were less established and newer.
>>
>>90477
Social unrest. Why do you think Merkel got all those refugees into Germany?
>>
>>90165
genetics is probably your best bet for that.

its also hilarious easy compared to physics.
>>
>>90479
Also less complicated maybe. That could be the reason why there are no more inventors, and anything worthwhile gets invented by teams of researchers.
>>
>>90566
You just have to build upon the foundations of prior efforts and discoveries to make something new and/or improved.
>>
>>90576
please explain how something can be new AND improved?
>>
>>90598
Just like fusion, I cant explain it. I can only point to it and say "yea, thats it".

http://5hourenergy.com/2015/01/introducing-5-hour-energy-shots-new-improved-taste/
>>
>>90598
Toothpaste is a good example. It's new and improved like every other week. How do they do it? Science is truly amazing.
>>
>>90663
>>90669
Are you some kind of bot?
>>
>>90417
to be fair, every science professor I met in uni said that. I think that's just the kind of attitude you need to be a career scientist
>>
>>90482
if we could generate power from social unrest we could solve the energy crisis to infinity
>>
>>90517
everyone says their field is more complicated than everyone else's
t. butthurt geneticist
>>
>>90421
/thread
>>
why are germanics so good at nuclear physics?
>>
>>92230
Maybe that's where the gov focuses their research bucks? Like how the brazilians are really good at topology.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.