[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever wondered what happens to all the poo on a cruise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/01/503982205/princess-cruises-hit-with-largest-ever-criminal-penalty-for-deliberate-pollution

>Princess Cruise Lines will pay a $40 million fine for "deliberate pollution of the seas and intentional acts to cover it up," according to the Department of Justice, which calls it "the largest-ever criminal penalty involving deliberate vessel pollution."

>The California-based cruise operator also agreed to plead guilty to seven felony charges over illegal practices on five ships dating back, in at least one case, to 2005.

>The Justice Department said in a statement that Princess illegally dumped contaminated waste and oil from its Caribbean Princess ship for eight years — a practice that was exposed by a whistleblowing engineer in 2013.

>The engineer quit his job over the dumping when the ship docked in the U.K. and alerted British authorities, who notified the U.S. Coast Guard. He said other engineers were using a device called a "magic pipe" to bypass the ship's water treatment system and unload oily waste into the ocean.

>Then, other engineers attempted to hide the evidence of illegal dumping before British investigators could board the ship, according to the Justice Department. The statement read: "The chief engineer and senior first engineer ordered a cover-up, including removal of the magic pipe and directing subordinates to lie." This continued during a subsequent investigation led by the U.S. Coast Guard.
>>
>>88983
So what are they supposed to do with it instead?
>>
>>88984
Store it to be treated on land?
>>
>>88985
Is that a question or an answer?
>>
>>88986
It's an assumption.
>>
>>88987
Thank you.
>>
It's good to hear they caught one. I doubt it will have any lasting effect though, nobody gives a shit (only literally) about the ocean.
>>
you wanna guess what navy planes do right before they land on carriers?

Also, if they dumped it in international waters,
it's fucking international waters and the dept of Justice can go suck its own dick
>>
>>89881
sorry

"Some discharges likely took place within U.S. waters, the Justice Department says"

but they probably can't prove it did
>>
>>88983
as long is its just piss and shit it would probably do more good than harm, thats a lot of free food for algae and plankton

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140203-the-hidden-power-of-whale-poo
>>
>>88983
>whistleblowing engineer
Ha ha! Time for firings.
>>
>>88983
I work in the merchant marine. They weren't disposing of shit, they were dumping oily water. That's why it's illegal. Effluent they dump right into the water provided it's over like six miles offshore or something.
>>
>>89934
Isn't it the point of the "magic pipe" bypass mechanism that it mixes the two so that the oily water spills over with the effluent?
>>
>>89890
Notnot when it's cruiseline cuisine
>>
>>89936
Okay, I'll be honest, I'm on the deck side so anything I've heard about the magic pipe was in school or from engineers on board. So you might be right about how it's disposed. I was under the impression it could go off by any means, but with the effluent sounds the most realistic. I just thought I'd chime in because of the thread title. When I worked on the Great Lakes we'd just go into Canadian waters to dump and wash down because the USA won't let us lol.
>>
>>89890
Except it's engine oil and carburized debris as well as shit
>>
>>89890
With the amount of shit we pump into the oceans I would rather worry about eutrophication.
>>
>>89890
General rule of thumb for the environment, if you're introducing something new, the environment probably isn't set up to handle it

Also it's not just poo it's oil and other waste
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.