[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

India unveils the world's largest solar power plant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

>The facility in Kamuthi, Tamil Nadu, has a capacity of 648 MW and covers an area of 10sq km.

>This makes it the largest solar power plant at a single location, taking the title from the Topaz Solar Farm in California, which has a capacity of 550 MW.

>The solar plant, built in an impressive eight months, is cleaned every day by a robotic system, charged by its own solar panels.

>At full capacity, it is estimated to produce enough electricity to power about 150,000 homes.

>The project is comprised of 2.5 million individual solar modules, and cost $679m to build.

>The new plant has helped nudge India's total installed solar capacity across the 10 GW mark

>As solar power increases, India is expected to become the world's third-biggest solar market from next year onwards, after China and the US.

>Despite the fast-growing solar power industry, India will still need to increase its take-up of solar panels if it is to achieve the ambitious targets set by the government.

>By 2022, India aims to power 60 million homes by the sun. It is part of the government's goal to produce 40 percent of its power from non-fossil fuels by 2030.

>This aim has been praised by environmental groups and is hoped will also help reduce the country's problem with air quality. At the beginning of this month, the pollution level in the capital New Delhi reached its worst levels in 17 years.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a24063/worlds-largest-solar-plant-india/
>>
>>88609
Numbers time
>India's energy usage is around 940 TwHr
>This is 0.7 GwHr or 0.0007 TwHr
>So they'd need 940/0.0007 of these, which is 1.3 million
>That's a land usage of 10 * 1.3 million or 13 million sq km of Panels
The above is using some generous rounding up as well, the real numbers would be worse.
Pretty sure Solar Thermal towers would be 1000x better in terms of production vs land usage.
>>
>>88609
super pooper power
>>
>>88615
beat me to it
But seriously, how can one of the most populous country use so much space for solar panels? Are their population growth decreasing?
>>
>>88610
It would also be more expensive to build up rather than out, assuming one is not constrained by land area. Most of India's solar capacity is decentralized photovoltaic cells on rooftops.

>>88618
I'm not certain what you're implying. It's a large power plant; but India is vastly larger than it.
>>
>>88618
Most countries don't have uniform population density, anon. I'm sure most of the Indian population lives in a few cities, just like in every other country on the planet.
>>
>>88610
>This is 0.7 GwHr or 0.0007 TwHr
648MW, not MWh. Or in other words, power, not energy. 940TWh is how much ENERGY India consumes per year.

Assuming an average production at 90% capacity, 12h of sunlight per day and 65 cloudy days with negligible production, the plant would produce about 2 TWh of energy per year.
>>
>>88689
>>88610
FFS, thank you.
So 2TWh then
>940/2 = 470
>470*10 sq km
>4700 sq km of Solar Panels
Much less retarded than my original numbers.
>>
Going to be a shame when their citizens start shitting all over the panels.
>>
>>88609
If this is the biggest I'm guessing it's only because the one in Morocco isn't done yet
>>
>>89001
Man - what a good time for Green Tech, it's just a shame that blond idiot was elected.
>>
>>88609
>200 million people starving in India (for comparison:US 320 mil pop)
>Use land to build solar instead of food
>Planting food would be more effective in reducing India's carbon footprint.
>>
>>90221
>lol destroying rural communities is okay
>>
>>90290
>capitalism allows companies to move out of the country for cheap labor
>getting mad because companies are doing what capitalists want them to do
>>
>>90290
>fight the burgoise, farm and work in factories like a good proletariat!

I'm on to you commie shits.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.