[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anti-drone gun takes down targets from 1.2 miles away

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: q_100[1].jpg (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
q_100[1].jpg
1MB, 1600x900px
https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/28/droneshield-anti-drone-gun/

>There are numerous systems built to take down wayward or dangerous drones, but they tend to have one big catch: you need to be relatively close to the drone, which could be scary if the robotic aircraft is packing explosives. DroneShield thinks it can help. It's introducing the DroneGun, a jammer that disables drone signals (including GPS and GLONASS positioning) from as far as 1.2 miles away. Like most rivals, it doesn't destroy the target drone -- it just forces the vehicle to land or return to its starting point. Anti-drone teams can not only disable threats from a safe distance, but potentially locate their pilots.

>It's not the lightest machine at about 13 pounds, but it's portable enough to be usable by one person. You don't need technical training, either, so it's easy for security staff to use.

>Whether or not you see the DroneGun in action is another matter. It's not FCC-certified as we write this, so you can't legally operate one in the US. Provided it's approved, though, it could help take down drones at airports, protect soldiers against drone bombs and otherwise help in situations where it's simply not possible to get close.
>>
Looks like it has a power cable coming out of it, which probably means it needs an external power source which limits mobility even further.

Still rad looking.
>>
Still it's useless, it can only disrupt positioning, for the purposes it's designed to stop, like a bomb, it cannot stop it flying on a prerecorded flight route/ pattern/face matching,

Tiny sound seeking directional flak missiles would be the best approach to taking out the propellers
>>
>>88427
You still need gps for a precoded destination.
>>
>>88430
Not really as long as it doesn't have to be precise
>>
I wonder what effects this would have on a small plane.
>>
>>88430
Nah it could use inertial guidance
>>
>>88464

"My GPS doesn't work. That's inconvenient but can easily be worked around."

Unless you're hitting them while in a fog bank in a mountainous region, the effect would be nil. Oh and you have to be within 1.2 miles.

>>88427

>Tiny sound seeking directional flak missiles would be the best approach to taking out the propellers

We're going dangerously into Bond secret agent technology here.

Also the best solution depends on the size of the drone. The large scale military ones are already target-able by standard air defense missiles and weapons, so we can ignore those. This leaves smaller consumer drones which are medium to small in size, both of which can be shot with firearms. For the smallest you can probably just load birdshot and pick it off. For medium you probably need a rifle to plink away at it.

Either way, it seems the goal of this device isn't to destroy the drone, but to maybe force the drone to "go home" allowing the operator to be apprehended. This is most useful for airports where you want to arrest that idiot trying to disrupt operations (like those guys with the laser pointers), rather than stopping drone assassins or terrorists. If that fails, you can just shoot it.
>>
Do that to my drone and I'm taking you to court
>>
>>88376

hey drumpfkins, how much good are your guns going to do for you when you get drone striked?
>>
>>88614
Don't call me that
>>
>>88605
Keep your drone off my property or I will assume you are violating the NAP
>>
>>88625
Air isn't your property.
>>
>>88626
prove it.
>>
>>88627
There is no clause stating you own the air above your house. The skies are my drones and mine
>>
>>88630
>There is no clause stating you own the air above your house.

you might wanna double check that
>>
>>88632
I have. Bottom line is, you break my drone, you buy it
>>
>>88633
enjoy the wild west while it lasts
>>
>when your neighbor's drone violates the air space of your property so you retaliate by capturing his daughters and using them as sex slaves
>>
>>88632
Go ahead shoot down a plane for flying above your home. Tell me how that turns out for you.
>>
>>88731

That'll teach'm.
>>
>>88630
The FAA disagrees:
tl;dr: Minimum safe altitude of 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure

Sec. 91.119 — Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

[Docket No. 18334, 54 FR 34294, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91–311, 75 FR 5223, Feb. 1, 2010]
>>
Practice makes perfect my Indian friend.
Of course, perfection doesn't always require practice
Only the truly gifted can be perfect

Individuals are the truly enlightened ones
Not the false sociable groups and globalists
Not the fragile minded

There can only be one genius on this earth
He is I, I am he.
Everyone cannot compete but competition can involve everyone

Luck is not a factor
Only skill
Only a genius like me.
>>
>>88415
My guess is that the power source is in the backpack.
>>
>>88415
yeah but it could be going to the backpack on his back. Why would he wear a backpack otherwise? Like hey I'm displaying this new prototype, I'm not gonna take off my gym bag though, take the pic
>>
>>89894
nuked his (>>89894) ass.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.