[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

World CO2 emissions stay flat for third year, helped by China

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: download (1).jpg (24KB, 728x505px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
24KB, 728x505px
>World greenhouse gas emissions stayed flat for the third year in a row in 2016, thanks to falls in China

>Carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels and industry were set to rise a tiny 0.2 percent in 2016 from 2015 levels to 36.4 billion tonnes, the third consecutive year with negligible change and down from three percent growth rates in the 2000s, it said.

>"It's far too early to say we've reached a peak in emissions," co-author Glen Peters, of the Center for International Climate and Environmental Research in Oslo, told Reuters, referring to the findings issued at U.N. talks on climate change in Marrakesh, Morocco.

>"So far the slowdown has been driven by China," Peters said, adding Beijing's climate change policies would also be the dominant force in future since it accounts for almost 30 percent of global emissions.

>Chinese emissions were on track to dip 0.5 percent this year, depressed by slower economic growth and coal consumption.

>U.S. emissions were projected to fall by 1.7 percent in 2016, also driven by declines in coal consumption, according to the study published in the journal Earth System Science Data.

>Peters said natural gas, wind and solar were likely to continue displacing coal in U.S. electricity production, thanks to new technologies and lower prices.

>Other scientists welcomed Monday's findings. "This could be the turning point we have hoped for," David Reay, Professor of Carbon Management at the University of Edinburgh, said in a statement. He added: "The real Houdini work of freeing our economies from carbon has only just begun."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-climatechange-accord-carbon-idUSKBN13900T
>>
inb4 Trump's EPA greenlights 40 new coal power plants.
>>
Too bad we elected a nationalist for coal. Even the trump supporters think "clean coal" exists
>>
>>88229
It doesn't but in some areas its all that can be afforded. Then the choise becomes new cleaner coal plant to shut down old one or patch up old one and run at a penalty to provide load and put the cost on consumers. Solar helps but it is only just approaching economic breakeven with consumers (as long as it is subsidized)
>>
>>88229
>>88190
mmmm suck it hippies. should've let us build nuclear plants everywhere when we wanted to, now you get to pay the toll when we burn more coal.
>>
>>88236
Sadly this. We had a chance for fuck cheap power but those loopy faggots forced us to stagnate. Swear to god they try to fuck with solar I will research burning communes for fuel
>>
Why do wingnuts hate solar power so much?
>>
>>88279
It does not work well is expensive it takes a lot of energy to produce and has havardus byproducts by making the panels and never recover the cost of making the panels in energy output in their lifetime before needing to be replaced.
>>
>>88236
I don't have an issue with a safe nuclear plant that makes sure its waste is taken care of properly or put into a breeder.

Although expensive, a normal fission reactor with a breeder working on the waste is one of the most effective energy producing applications aside fusion power, which is still being developed.
>>
>>88279
Because solar now, in its infancy, is inefficient and uses more power to create than it produces, however
>>
>>88286
>>88303
Solar energy is effecient, not via photovoltaic cells but rather via parabole lenses.
cheap incurved paraboles reflectors can melt iron.
But outside of the atmosphere i reckon solar panels could be more productive.
>>
>>88303 >>88853 >>88286

How is this possible? I understand that it can be inefficient, but I don't get how it can be so inefficient that it can produce enough power before it is replaced. Does it have something to do with the scale? I mean it's cost efficient to get a single panel to warm your water here in Bulgaria. You get your money worth back in 2-3 years.
>>
>>89483
Subsidies it is cheep for you because your government pays for a large amount of the cost.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.