[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1/3 Of Teachers Voted Trump - Union Stumped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 1

File: Teachers-Union.jpg (43KB, 330x225px) Image search: [Google]
Teachers-Union.jpg
43KB, 330x225px
And they decide to blame it on… sexism.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/11/23/election-unions-teachers-clinton-trump/94242722/
Greg Toppo
USATODAY
November 23, 2016

Teacher unions smarting after many members vote for Trump

WASHINGTON — Two weeks after Republican Donald Trump defeated Democrat Hillary Clinton
in the Nov. 8 presidential election, the USA’s teachers unions are wondering what happened
to their chosen candidate — and how so many of their members could have voted for her opponent.

Despite early and eager endorsements of Clinton by both unions, the nation’s school teachers
and other school workers contributed substantially to Trump’s Nov. 8 win.

How substantially? About one in fiveAmerican Federation of Teachers (AFT) members who cast
a ballot voted for Trump, the union’s leader estimated. Among the larger National Education
Association (NEA), which comprises more than 3 million members, more than one in three who
voted did so for the billionaire developer, early data show.

AFT President Randi Weingarten, whose union represents about 1.6 million teachers and other
workers, said some of the reason for Clinton's defeat was timing — and perhaps sexism.

“Frankly I was always concerned about whether the country was ready to have a female president,”
she said. “There was an intensity of hatred that male political figures never get. So I think
we’re never really going to understand it.”

cont.
>>
>>87444

Most of the USA’s largest labor unions endorsed Clinton as early as 2015, including NEA, AFT,
the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), the International Brotherhood of Teamsters
and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).

Despite the support, Clinton won union households nationwide by just eight percentage points,
exit polls show: 51% to Trump’s 43%.

Clinton carried white, college-educated women, but just barely: 51% to 45%. Among white women
without a college degree, Trump won resoundingly: 63% to Clinton’s 34%.

In that sense, teachers, who at last count wereabout 82% white and 76% female, actually
outperformed other groups when it came to their support for Clinton.

Weingarten last week said internal figures show that Clinton earned about 80% of her members'
votes,in spite of a “very effective” effort to disparagethe former secretary of state’s
character.

At NEA, an aggressive member-to-member campaign and strategic political effort actually did
get out the vote for Clinton, officials said: As late as last September, nearly 60% of its
members identified as “Republicans or independents.” At the time, Clinton’s NEA support stood
at just 58%. By Election Day, it rose to 65%.

NEA President Lily Eskelsen García, a former Utah teacher, said that despite Clinton’s loss,
the union engaged members in “record levels of activism,"supporting down-ballot candidates
and initiatives "important to students and working families.”

cont.
>>
>>87445

Among other efforts, unions defeated a well-funded charter school expansion effort in
Massachusetts and helped ensure the continuation of a tax hiketo fund education in California.

NEA's state and nationalpolitical directors met in Nashville last weekend to figure out what
comes next, and educators nationwide are waiting to find out who President-elect Trump names
as education secretary.

On Wednesday, school voucher advocate Betsy DeVos said in a tweet that she would work with
Trump to "make American education great again."

In a statement, García said NEA will “listen closely” as Trump lays out his education vision.
“We haven’t heard any specifics from the incoming administration about education policies,
so we can’t speculate further,” she said.

In an interview, Weingarten said she had “no regrets — absolutely no regrets” about the union’s
endorsement of Clinton, adding that Democratic runner-up Sen. Bernie Sanders “was never tested
or vetted by anyone, and frankly we have no idea whether he would have actually been able to
get through this crucible … either.”

She added that Clinton “has spent her life fighting for families and children — and that’s
what we spend our life fighting for. Were there mistakes she made? Of course. Were there
mistakes we made? Of course. But she is someone who for 30 years has been in the service
of the public and incredibly qualified.”

FIN
>>
>tell a bunch of lies about how she supposedly broke the law
>tell everyone the FBI is lying when they say she didn't
>some people actually believed that stuff
Big surprise.
>>
>>87447
> tell a bunch of lies about how White people are all racists, homophobes, sexists, etc.
> some White people actually don’t believed that stuff

Big surprise.
>>
>>87444
>There was an intensity of hatred that male political figures never get.
There were riots in California and thousands of people on social media calling for Trump to be assassinated after he got elected.

This is why Hillary lost. Liberals are too egotistical to admit their opposition has any reasoning besides various ism's and phobia's. They care more about bathroom laws than taxes. They prop themselves up as heroes to the deprived and anyone that disagrees with them as evil bigots. They're practically cultists.
>>
Teachers don't make shit.

Obamacare won Trump the election because people voted their economic needs rather than their feelings
>>
>>87447
>they say she didn't
this never happened.

she did commit crimes, a lot very openly, any of which could have any one else fucked over.
the fbi just decided to do nothing about it and pretend it never happened.
>>
>>87456
This.

We need to repeal Obamacare and go back to the way things were. We had the best health care system in the world up until Obummer stuck his presidential dick into it.
>>
>>87454
Everyone calls for controversial people to be assassinated.
Welcome to life.
>>
>>87470
>best health care system in the world
If you make six figures, sure.
>>
>>87457
Actually the FBI director said that if he were to charge her it would be treating her special, which he refused to do. The fact that people like you think they "pretended nothing happened" and that you believed whoever told you that is exactly why Trump won, which is my point.
>>
>>87500
I'd say that that's a feature, not a downside. It's good motivation for people to be successful and weeds out the shit.
>>
>>87504
>pick yourself up by your own bootstraps
It seems all the old Reagan-era slogans are relevant once again.
>>
>>87505
It's always been applicable anon, you just have to believe and work hard.
>>
>>87447
>Whine weeks after election
>Muh democrat led gubment
>Make up things that the FBI didn't say
Big surprise.
>>
>>87457
It's not a crime if she didn't remember being told not to use a personal email server for official business. It's not like anyone else in government would have a private email server being used for official business or use pseudonyms when speaking about government matters. So you see, they had all of the relevant emails they needed from her replies.
>>
>>87505
Especially the most famous,
"Tear down this wall"
>>
>>87504
>>87511
>being this indoctrinated
clearly the old way of doing things that failed us and caused us to move away from them are worth returning to.
You're making a bunch of money and not struggling in this economy working your ass off for someone else, right?
>>
>>87454
>thousands
Hundreds
>>
>>87444
You know why the teachers union voted for Trump?
The wall. My friend's wife is a teacher in a Texas city, they waste millions in resources in catching up Mexican children to the appropriate reading level for their grade. The schools are burdened with Mexican kids some who can barely speak English and often start fights or are disruptive.
>>
>>87576
I'm struggling a little, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. You struggle at the beginning, you learn you lessons or earn your lashes, and then if you keep going, you'll reach a comfortable spot. Read up some things on what older Americans, specifically those who lived through the 70's, said and you'll find that things have always kind of sucked for young workers. Our economy is mostly a meritocracy though, and you usually get what you deserve. Capitalism means that if I had the courage, intellect, and talent, then I'd be the one in charge.
>>
>>87578
If your friend was really from Texas then she'd know that the wall can't be built in Texas because the border is a river.
>>
>>87581
Not all of Texas is a river and we can build a wall around the other side of the river.
>>
>>87581
We can build a fence then.

Nobody has been discussing how bad the illegal immigration issue is and how bad of an impact they are.
>>
>>87583
>Not all of Texas is a river and we can build a wall around the other side of the river.
No really, the entire border is a river
>We can build a wall around the other side of the river
That's mexico, genius. We can't take their land just like they can't take ours. The border is the river itself.

>>87584
We can build a fence then.
You can't build a fence in the middle of a river either.
>>
>>87584
>>87586
We can just shoot them, or hit them with drones. That would probably be way cheaper then a wall or fence.
>>
>>87586
I meant on the American side, guy.
>>
>>87586
Jeeze anon, build it on the bank.
>>
>>87590
>>87589
The border line is literally in the middle off the river and the US owns the whole northern/eastern bank. If we built a fence only on our side then it means Mexico controls everything on the other side, which means we're ceding land back to Mexico.
>>
>>87594
If it means we have a safer America so be it.
>>
>>87594
Doesn't mean we're ceding territory, just placing a fence on our side.
>>
>>87504
>>Being this wrong
Instead good motivation, poor health care is an obstacle to success.
And it does not weed out shit. The shits procreate even faster due to crappy health care and shitty lives
>>
>>87597
Water rights are more important.
>>
>>87529
Ignorance isn't a defence in court
>>
>>87529
yes, actually , it is a crime, you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>87505
>>pick yourself up by your own bootstraps
>It seems all the old Reagan-era slogans are relevant once again.

Barack, please.

ObamaCare is not socialized medicine, (which I personally support) it's a gargantuan corporate welfare scheme, written by and for the insurance, health care and pharmaceutical industries that literally forces Americans to do business with private and for-profit companies, who are wholly out of their control and over which they have absolutely no say.

It's the worst of both worlds...
>>
>>87580
>Read up some things on what older Americans, specifically those who lived through the 70's, said and you'll find that things have always kind of sucked for young workers.

Son, you don't know WTF you're talking about. Back in the 1970s, you could graduate high school and that same day, walk into a highly paid unionized job with excellent benefits and 30 years later, retire on a full pension.

My Godmother worked the deli at a Chathams grocery store here in metro Detroit and even _she_ got a fucking pension.

Try doing that today....
>>
>>87582
>If your friend was really from Texas then she'd know that the wall can't be built in Texas because the border is a river.

Sure you can but that's not what's going to (or at least, is claimed will) happen.

Some certain urban segments of the border will have a physical concrete walls barbed wire fencing but the plan is mostly about beefing up the border patrols and utilizing technology, like mini-drones with GPS and infrared imaging and such, to guide the border police to intercept Mexicans attempting to cross.
>>
>>87634
I believe he was being sarcastic.
>>
>>87655
Pampering workers so much was one of the reasons why the economy went to shit in the 70s and why the unions lost all their power in the 80s.
>>
>>87654
The problem is that there would be an earth-shattering backlash if obama actually attempted single-payer system.
The US has a retarded system where private companies take payment from the patient, take a sizeable slice for themselves, and deliver the rest to the actual provider. It's completely pointless. The government could handle the transfer of payment as a non-profit, as it is in most of the civilized world.
But that industry employs countless Americans. There's no way around it.

The best option is for the government to pay insurance companies to cover the folks that wouldn't otherwise be lucrative.
Some folks argue it isn't their duty, but my position is that a civilized, modern country does not force its sick to live as invalids or homeless because they can't afford pharmaceuticals and no insurance company wants them. To me, that is part of a feasible guarantee to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

Until obamacare, they had the option to sit it out until their problems reached the level of medical emergency, at which point they'd head straight to the emergency room. There's significant savings to be had from allowing the sick access to medical treatment as aa preventative measure and as treatment prior to emergencies, both in productivity and costs to the hospital system of having to accomodate emergency cases with no means to pay.
>>
>>87658
>Pampering workers so much was one of the reasons why the economy went to shit

Yeah, it couldn't have anything to do with pampering Wall Street...
>>
>>87660
The Swiss system is basically a mix of private and public in a way but it's never gonna work in the U.S.
>>
>>87689
>government regulates the hell out of them
>pampered

choose one.
>>
>>87658
Pensions were never about pampering workers. They were tax dodges same as health insurance. This way workers could be compensated without new deal assrape taxes. Trouble was some of the taxes lowered and we chipped away at workers benefits without raising wages. I would love to see an adjusted total average compensation evaluation of 50s , 70s, 90s, and current workers. I will say I made more at minimum wage in the 90s than I did at 12 an hour in 2010
>>
>>87660
>>87691
It won't happen because Americans don't want to pay more taxes.

Nevermind the fact that taxes would ultimately be cheaper then the premiums they're already paying for.

Nevermind that medical expenditures are about 20% of our GDP, and that overhead costs account for a quarter of our total hospital expenditure (the highest in the world in fact).

Nevermind that they're already paying for it anyways when someone waits until his ailment is an emergency, or spreads a deadly disease because he's afraid of healthcare cost.

Americans don't want new taxes, and trust insurance companies more then the government (due to certain politicians gutting or breaking it on purpose since the 80s so they can turn around and either take credit for fixing it, or more likely, claim that it was always broken and that it should be dismantled further).

There's also a lot of "I got mine, why should I pay for his" (nevermind that they actually do "pay for his") going around in America too.

Besides, most of the people hurting from medical bankruptcy are the lower classes, and the government doesn't do shit until it hits the increasingly shrinking middle class.
>>
>>87660
> The problem is that there would be an earth-shattering backlash if obama actually attempted single-payer system.

I’d suggest that Bernie Sander’s strong (albeit, failed) presidential campaign, shows that while Americans may not be wholly behind full-on socialized medicine, they are at least supportive of the theory and if a solid, common sense plan were presented, they could be convinced to actually demand it.

> The US has a retarded system

Absolutely; the U.S. doesn’t have a health care system, we have a health care _business_ where profit is the ultimate goal, not providing a needed service.

> But that industry employs countless Americans. There's no way around it.

Most of whom would transfer to the same jobs within a government run health care system, as all the nuts & bolts bureaucracy of administrating a health care system would still be needed.

> The best option is for the government to pay insurance companies to cover the folks

No, that was not the best option, it was in fact the worst possible option, as now Americans are saddled with BOTH a costly shitty government run system and a expensive greed based corporate run system.

> Some folks argue it isn't their duty

Sorry, but I ain’t paying for 10-20-30-? million illegal Mexican’s health insurance, which is an underlying fear many average Americans have with ObamaCare, thus their vote went to Trump.

cont.
>>
>>87756
> Until obamacare, they had the option to sit it out until their problems reached the level of medical emergency

The majority of Americans have and had employer paid health insurance (with co-pays)and the actual poor people who had no insurance, could and regularly did go to emergency rooms for any medical needs, as they had no money to make it worth the hospital’s effort in trying to get payment from them.

A very small percentage of Americans who had jobs but no health insurance were the most at risk from the pre-ObamaCare corporate system, as they could neither pay the outrageous costs of health care yet had enough assets that they could be rendered bankrupt by a serious illness.
>>
>>87757
>allowing the sick access to medical treatment as aa preventative measure and as treatment prior to emergencies

This is a corporate boondoggle, being pushed for by the insurance, health care and pharmaceutical industries to encourage any American with a paper cut or tummy ache to run to their doctor, where shit loads of profit will be generated “treating” the latest Internet health meme.

MURRICAN: "doctor, I feel slightly sick!"
DOCTORE: "hmm, looks like you have carpel-tunnel-acid-reflux-nervous-leg syndrome, better take these new pills that will in fact make you sicker."
MURRICAN: "doctor, you are my greatest ally!"
>>
>>87758

It's a good idea that gets warped by practice. In theory it costs less to take a few pills instead of having major surgery down the line. In theory your odds of survival go up if you catch a cancer before it has a change to spread.

In practice these things can happen, but also the things you mention happen as well. This doesn't mean it's not a good idea that saves money and lives in the long run, but it definitely needs watchdogs to prevent overuse of antibiotics (since beyond fleecing patients it also reduces the effectiveness overall because of increased resistance by bacteria).
>>
>>87775
>It's a good idea that gets warped by

The profits-above-all business model of the U.S. corporate health care industry, which ObamaCare was designed to benefit.
>>
>>87713
>government regulates the hell out of them

laughing.plutocrats.jpg
>>
>>87775
>>87781
So it's clearly not perfect but there are a wide range of medical conditions that are both serious and require medication / prolonged treatment.
Obviously the ACA needs work, but it's very hard to argue that we need to return to the pre-ACA status quo. How do you place a price on the livelihood of a fellow citizen? At some point perhaps you have to I suppose for practical purpose. But I don't think there are any easy answers.
>>
1/3 is not greater than 1/2, the opposite is true that teachers attempted to prevent trump getting in
>>
>>87756
>Absolutely; the U.S. doesn’t have a health care system, we have a health care _business_ where profit is the ultimate goal, not providing a needed service.
Well duh, that's how the economy works, you pay money for goods and services. If the business isn't profitable then it must close. The alternative is socialism: which is just taking money out of one person's pocket to pay for another.
>>
>>88166
Taxation =/= theft.
Paying taxes for public services is an integral part of living in a modern society.
If one is not up for it, there are actually mountain folk that live off-the-books and don't make use of the fruits of socialism, such as roads, hospitals, law-enforcement, firefighters, the internet, medicare, and in most modern countries, assurance against loss of livelihood due to illness. All of these things we enjoy today are the fruits of public services.

Rather than forcing the rest of us to live without public services, one should pursue that lifestyle. Public services are an investment that puts wealth back into your pocket in the long-term.

It's also ethical wrong to expect your fellow citizen to live as an invalid or homeless due to no fault of their own when the resources exist to prevent that. That's just part of not being a sociopath; unfortunately most people cannot understand that yet.
>>
>>87500
Despite the problems with our old health care system, you can't deny that the US has the best health care in the world. Just hanging around MD Anderson, I saw so many foreigners from the Nordic countries who explained that while their health care is covered by the government, for the most difficult cases, they have to send them overseas to America because their treatment facilities outclass theirs back home. (Not that this is particularly a great deal for the American citizen, since the cost of care means they'll pay pretty heavily to receive treatment while non-Americans get a free ride from their government IF their case is bad enough.).

That said, Obamacare did nothing but hit the poor even harder. Sure, the dirt poor had their care provided for, but the lowest class working people simply got told to pay for something they couldn't afford while hanging just out of reach of benefits. Suddenly, households were being forced to pay an extra $300-400 a month per person for medical insurance or pay the cost of coverage in additional taxes.
>>
>>87756
>Most of whom would transfer to the same jobs within a government run health care system, as all the nuts & bolts bureaucracy of administrating a health care system would still be needed.
don't really think that's entirely true at all, sure you would leave some people around to run local branches of the nationalized system but overall you would have quite a few redundant employees performing functions that would now be done in another more centralized location
>>
>>87502
The fbi director outright admitted she committed a misdemeanor on national television
>>
>>89184
>>Most of whom would transfer to the same jobs within a government run health care system, as all the nuts & bolts bureaucracy of administrating a health care system would still be needed.
>don't really think that's entirely true at all, sure you would leave some people around to run local branches of the nationalized system but overall you would have quite a few redundant employees performing functions that would now be done in another more centralized location

Sure, there would be job losses if the private health insurance industry were eliminated and everybody went on government run MediCare but the lion’s share of these job losses would be in upper management positions, as many of the low-level grunts pushing mouses, answering phones and licking envelopes would still be needed to run the system.

Regardless, it’s an acceptable lose, as the current privatized for-profit health care system is wholly structured around generating profits for a tiny parasitical minority of billionaire Wall Street investors and the increased wealth that would become available to the vast majority of Americans who would no longer be paying out the ass for health insurance company CEO’s yachts, would be spent on all kinda other stuff, further expanding the economy and generating actually productive jobs.

There is simply no way to get around the fact that privatized for-profit health insurance is a net loss for Americans.
>>
The question I am more interested in isn't the teacher's union on its own, but the number of union members in general who voted, and who they voted for. Unions like the AWA, and others who are made up of workers in the private sector.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.