[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fiji urges US President Elect to make good on Paris Agreement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (54KB, 1024x641px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 1024x641px
>The leader of Fiji, whose nation is being resculpted by rising seas, has pleaded with Donald Trump to join the fight against global warming.

>“You came to save us. It is time for you to help to save us now,” he said before the 196-nation assembly.

>The forum was stunned to see an avowed climate change denier capture the White House, and the shadow of his victory hung over the 12-day meeting, which gavelled through a work plan night for implementing the Paris pact.

>Trump’s “100-day action plan” includes scrapping the hard-won deal, which entered into force early this month, in record time for a treaty.

>Ministers and diplomats, however, insist a Trump administration cannot derail the massive momentum of the global transition to a low-carbon economy, already well underway.

>The BASIC group of Brazil, South Africa, India and China said in a statement it would continue and strengthen its own actions, while stressing “there can be no backtracking on commitments from developed countries and no attempt to renegotiate the terms of the agreement reached in Paris”.

>If Trump acts on his promises, the consequences could be severe.

>“The chances of the rest of the world contributing the emissions reductions commitments that the US is required to undertake, or covering the shortfall in climate finance are slim. That is scary,” said analyst Mohamed Adow of Christian Aid.

>Highlighting the stakes, US Government scientists said this week that the first 10 months of the year were the hottest in modern times — and 2016 would likely surpass 2015 as the warmest year on record.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/world/-Climate-Change-Conference/1068-3458234-db2qosz/
>>
>>86883
hahahah yeah right. sorry, fiji.
>>
>>86883
>We only have a failed hypothesis
>And all the test have proven our hypothesis wrong
>But what if?
>>
>>86919
Look on the bright side Fiji water will be more abundant for everyone!
>>
>>86923
>And all the test have proven our hypothesis wrong
Where do you people get this shit from?
>>
>>86930
Remember that their """"scientists"""" also came up with nonsense like the spork theory to refute evolution. Modern conservative/Christian scientists are great for a laugh.
>>
>>86930
From looking at data and at the predictions which have been made in the past.

Here, look at the graphs on this: http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/06/03/global-warming-standstillpause-increases-to-a-new-record-length-18-years-6-months/ . The TL;DR is that warming is happening at roughly a rate of 1.2 degrees/century (less for the ocean), that this appears to happen regardless of emission levels, and that the predictions which make news have consistently overstated this.

In particular, check out figure T1. That's 33 predictions from the IPCC in green, and the actual temperatures in black.

The proposed explanation is that most models are made using sampling stations from Earth, and that the temperature of Earth is extrapolated from these. Human society has crept towards many of these sampling stations, however, which makes them less reliable than satellite data, which can consistently observe closer to the entire Earth.
>>
>>86963

>spork theory

You're going to have to explain this one, because google gives me all sorts of things that aren't remotely related to refuting evolution.
>>
>>86930
From the Centre for Climate Change, the former premier authority on climate change in europe, but I hesitate to post any of their shit since they have been under scrutiny the last few months for fraud, making up data, using old data, and using irrelevant data.
>>
>>86970
>Centre for Climate Change
Their letter to the Daily Mail seems to indicate the opposite.
http://www.cccep.ac.uk/news/response-to-article-by-david-rose-in-the-mail-on-sunday/

>>86968
>climatedepot
>A sub-website of the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow which provides comprehensive information on climate news and the related issues of environment
Top kek
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_for_a_Constructive_Tomorrow
>The Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) is a Washington, D.C.-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1985 that advocates for free-market solutions to environmental issues.[1][2] CFACT co-founder Craig Rucker stated that mankind faces a threat "not from man-made global warming, but from man-made hysteria."[3]
>>
>>86972
See, this is why I started to become skeptical of AGW myself. Any sort of argument devolves into something along the lines of

AGW: You have no evidence.
Skeptic: Here's some.
AGW: This evidence that AGW is overrated comes from somebody who thinks AGW is overrated. Therefore I will ignore it.

You're no better than a rabid denier who claims every piece of evidence he disagrees with is falsified.
>>
>>86972

It's a little bit disconcerting that we're being inundated with misinformation from front organizations on an issue wherein the future of our lineage and that of every other living thing is at stake.

Assuming this disdain for EPA driven by independent scientific consensus ends with Trump, then our environment will take one for the team for another four to eight years maybe. Unfortunately he also gets to pick supreme court judges that will be likely to strike down what they view as unconstitutional EPA regulation for a generation to come. By that time we'll have long passed CO2 concentrations that dispose toward runaway warming.

No matter what happens, knowing that it is possible for profit incentive to drive us so far in the direction of our own doom shakes my faith in humanity pretty hard.

My only wish is that, if we do fuck up royally, humanity could pay the price to the exclusion of other living things, so that this one unique corner of our universe could outlast us. But I know that's a pipe dream. We'll probably extinguish the vast majority multicellular biodiversity before we go.
>>
Coastal cities and Fiji can get dunked
>>
>>86984
>knowing that it is possible for profit incentive to drive us so far in the direction of our own doom shakes my faith in humanity pretty hard

This is what gets me. How does our species think that a brief economic boost is worth destroying an ecosystem that has been developing for billions of years?
>>
>>87053

>How does our species think that a brief economic boost is worth destroying an ecosystem that has been developing for billions of years?

"Not my problem, I'll be dead by then lol."

Remember that most policy creators in the world are the baby boomer generation (though they're beginning to retire) who most likely won't live to see the worst effects.
>>
>>86984
>>87053
>How does our species think that a brief economic boost is worth destroying an ecosystem that has been developing for billions of years?
It doesn't.

>My only wish is that, if we do fuck up royally, humanity could pay the price to the exclusion of other living things, so that this one unique corner of our universe could outlast us.
>But I know that's a pipe dream.
And thank god for that.

This anti-humanism "everything humans do is bad and terrible and just awful and we don't deserve to exist" shit cannot die out soon enough, along with the middling, limp wristed do-nothings that love coupling it with 4th grade level anti-capitalist views about "muh corparayshuns, muh prophitz". Meanwhile you've got your share of brain-zapped, wealthy celebrities who maintain carbon footprints bigger than some rural towns in the US, jumping off of their big private yachts onto their private jets to go and "save the environment" with a 30 second video spot on ABC.

Governments have always been the biggest polluters and destructors of the ecosystem. Walmart didn't engage in nuclear testing in the pacific. Sony didn't drain the Aral Sea. Tesla didn't drop shitloads of agent orange and napalm on thousands of miles of jungle. And yet the solution you people always seen to come up with for 'protecting' the environment is always some dogmatic form of "just give lots of power to the government and don't ask questions or you're a redneck retard", even when it's apparent that every action they take is for their own career benefit.

The same corny shit that's been preached since the 70s, only now it's gotten to the point where there are actual government agencies attempting to criminally prosecute "climate skepticism". The biggest issue people have with the concept of climate change, I would wager, isn't the concept itself. It's the insufferable, doting authoritarians who attempt to brow beat and shame people into falling into line and not asking questions about the concept.
>>
>>87059
Brah.
>/thread.
Call it.
>>
>>87059
I just want my country to be free from the need for foreign oil.
>>
>>87074
I know right.
>>
>>87074
>>87103
If you're anti-fracking, you're actively impeding that.
>>
>>87173
Sort of a false dichotomy right there.

There are other options as well, such as the reduction of the waste of hydrocarbons being used for the most pointless stuff in existence. I'm looking at you, consumerist lifestyles and wasteful transportation.
>>
>>87173
We could stop being such consumerist whores. That would greatly help.
>>
>>86883

That is the most terrible graph i have ever seen in my life. fuck you alarmist shills

x axis = 4 orders of magnitude
y axis 22 orders of magnitude

ITS FUCKING NOTHING
>>
>>87854
why is that detail important to you?
If it's bothersome, then arbitrarily assign a unit derp which is equivalent to 10^18J and express Y in terms of derp, Now both units are 4 orders of magnitude and the graph is just as accurate.
>>
source
https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/OC5/3M_HEAT_CONTENT/
>>
>>87838
Pretty much this.
People keep crying about the climate and how nothing is made in the US anymore.
That's something all consumers have direct control over, but of course everyone wants everything and it has got to be cheap as dirt.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.