[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Microsoft Confirms Massive Windows 10 Upgrade Changes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/11/05/microsoft-windows-10-smart-upgrades/#306f4261258b

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=012001733EI0
>Microsoft Debuts Unified Updates, New Windows Build for Insiders

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/11/03/introducing-unified-update-platform-uup/#qpQV4rl0evZbubRT.97
>Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP)Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP)

>....We are announcing the next generation of our delivery technologies incorporated into our latest Insider builds called the Unified Update Platform (UUP).

>One of the biggest community and customer benefits of UUP is the reduction you’ll see in download size on PCs. We have converged technologies in our build and publishing systems to enable differential downloads for all devices built on the Mobile and PC OS. A differential download package contains only the changes that have been made since the last time you updated your device, rather than a full build. As we rollout UUP, this will eventually be impactful for PCs where users can expect their download size to decrease by approximately 35% when going from one major update of Windows to another. We’re working on this now with the goal of supporting this for feature updates after the Windows 10 Creators Update; Insiders will see this sooner.

>We have also revamped how devices check for updates, making them more efficient. As we move to UUP, we are reducing the update data sent to client devices as well as the amount of processing we are doing on devices, this especially important for devices built on the Mobile OS....
>>
>>82230
Still running the most comfy windows 7 here
>>
>>82230
Win 7 winning here.
>>
Glad I'm still on 7. Hell, I haven't even installed any updates to 7 in over a year.
>>
>>84053
>I haven't even installed any updates to 7 in over a year.
That's good because there are no more updates.
>>
>>82230
Windows 10 broke itself during an update, glad it gave me an excuse to reinstall windows 7
>>
Considering getting windows ten (for work reasons) and dual-booting with my lovely windows seven that I use for fsx and general recreational stuff.

Good idea? Bad idea?
I've not really been following windows ten and don't know what state it was in before this announcement.
>>
>>84059
what happens if you install updates when there are no updates
>>
>>84095
According to this:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-discontinues-windows-7-windows-8-sales-to-oems/

All versions of Win7 have discontinued sales. I'm sure there are still updates, a few of those critical security updates no doubt, but most of the rest will be unnecessary bloatware or DRM bullshit. You would have to look up what each update does yourself before they install.
>>
>>84104
It entered an extended support period or whatever, will receive security updates up until 2020 or something like this.
/g/ told me.
>>
>>83965
>>83998
>>84053
>>84067

You really should give a second chance to W10.
I hated W8, so for (like) 4 years I stayed with the comfy W7 until I tried the 10. W10 is sure an improvement.
>>
>>84529
never
>>
>>84529
Except for the frustrating and continuing loss of user control, the continuous bandwidth-wasting monitoring and keylogging sent to an NSA-owned location that isn't turned off when you turn off all relevant options? What is even good about this OS? You don't find it an unsettling coincidence that the most invasive ever spying OS is also the one they were trying their hardest to give away for free and trying to force people into updating toward? It's bloated inconvenient malware at best and a tool for literal international espionage at worst. There is no reason to switch from a secured-from-malware-updates Win7.
>>
>>84544
This. and windows 10 does look like some kids OS.
at least windows 7 is serious just like all others
>>
>>85111
>serious
I thought Windows 7 was skinned by default to look like Windows XP from 2001.
>>
>>84544
but i wanna play killer instinct :(
>>
>>85113
Xp is still the best. I got the startup sound tattooed on my frenulum.
>>
>>84334
It took me like a month to update my windows 7.
>>
Anyways, why not just go to Ubuntu?
>>
>>87487
Because I can't into tech and /g/ get mad when you ask them questions and all /v/ knows it how to set up a gaming PC
>>
>>85184
yeah xp is the best, but for hotspot wifi it is shit. I upgraded to windows 2012 r2 and it is quite good, but now there i no classic theme and there are problems with safe mode unavailable due to some graphic bug
>>
>>84529
No, W10 is an absolute pile of crap, at idle my processor is always around 20%, what the fuck is it doing when I'm not using it? W7 is at 4%, W10 has no valid improvements, W7 is still the best windows operating system. Period,
>>
>>84529
Everyone I know hates W8 after however many years they've been using it
>>
Was pretty mad to find the update pushed on me yesterday. It fixed a few issues I've been having, but I can't wait to find what new shit I need to fix by going into the regedit a hundredth time.

I really need W7 for dual boot though. I don't even care for spyware memes, the OS has been fucking asinine to deal with since day 1.
>>
>>87532
you have to turn off all the backgrounds apps
>>
>>84542

Stay the course.
>>
>>87546
>background apps
You mean BITS and Windows search indexer, right?
>>
Windows 8 is still better than Windows 10 (1607 update).
Faster searching
Can disable updates and manually install the ones you want
No loud updates in the bottom right corner
Doesn't come prepackaged with as much shit that literally spies on you (yes I know win 10 enterprise is good if you hate being spied on)
Can't boot to safe mode without FUCKING EDITING THE BCD IF YOUR OS IS CORRUPT FUCK THAT PISSES ME OFF

Yeah, as a person who fixes computers for a living, Windows 10 is objectively worse than 8 in terms of performance, compatibility, troubleshooting, and backdoor fucking spying.
>>
>>87607
>yes I know win 10 enterprise is good if you hate being spied on

I have win 10 ent, It still suffers from odd slowdowns that win 7 and win 8 do not get and it still phones home to far more places than win 7 and win 8
>>
>>87593
that's irrelevant old shit

all settings>privacy>background apps

turn all that shit off
>>
>>87546
Why even bother with windows 10 though? W7 works without altering anything, and W10 has no advantages over W7
>>
>>84529
I need something that I have control over and is reliable. I will never give up windows 7 for windows 10.
>>
>>84529

Hello Mr Gates, didn't know you used 4chan!
>>
>>88001
You have control over it though.
If you can read online how-tos, congrats you now know how to control the OS. I understand that they made a lot of stuff annoying to deal with, but the on/off switch is still there.
>>
>>88007
But why bother with w10 I'd it has no advantages over win7?
>>
>>88007
Yeah, no. It took me an arm and a dick, and I liked that dick, to stop Windows 10 from updating without my consent.

And guess what? no 'How-to' had the information. I stumbled upon it by accident when a /g/ent gave me the solution as to why the fucking thing kept waking up from sleep in the night. Some part of the windows media player would cause it to wake up and the only way I could track that problem down was from the event viewer. The event viewer showed the computer was still updating even when I checked and unchecked every relevant box that was accessible.

I had to basically neuter the damn OS to just get one thing done. The defer option doesn't defer the update, I guarantee you that. That's a 'Oh look I guess I still have control' when in reality you don't.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.