[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RESEARCHERS ARE TEACHING ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE HOW TO TERRIFY HUMANS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1476202265125.gif (494KB, 475x355px) Image search: [Google]
1476202265125.gif
494KB, 475x355px
Machines do creepy things all the time. The more they seem to be able to think and act for themselves, the freakier it gets.

Consider, for example, this gif I just made of Boston Dynamic’s SpotMini robot. Legitimately impressive? Of course. Terrifying? Also yes.

But SpotMini’s just trying to do its thing. It can fetch you a beer! And load the dishwasher! Who cares if it also sometimes does that weird thing where it walks in a circle around its own head?

Especially when there are machines out there actively trying to terrify you. That’s the idea behind the Nightmare Machine, a deep-learning project by researchers at MIT who wanted to see if they could train a computer to generate horrifying images.

To do so, they trained an algorithm on a corpus of the kinds of images they wanted it to produce. They were going for a few different aesthetics: the hazy appearance of the sky above a haunted house, the unsettling palette of a cityscape drenched in toxic waste—you know, the sorts of scenes that might evoke witchy-fingered tree branches scraping on your window after midnight and ghostly disturbances in your peripheral vision.

So far, the algorithm seems to be doing a pretty good job.

The images being produced aren’t just otherworldly or psychedelic, like so many computer-generated images in the realm of machine learning, but straight-up spooky. For example, check out how the Nightmare Machine transformed an ordinary image of the Statue of Liberty into something out of Ghostbusters.

http://nightmare.mit.edu/faces

http://www.nextgov.com/emerging-tech/2016/10/researchers-are-teaching-artificial-intelligence-how-terrify-humans/132604/
>>
To refine the algorithm, researchers are asking humans to vote on which faces are scariest. (Though, as someone who can’t get through a horror flick without turning down the volume and googling what’s about to happen, I voted “scary” on all of them.) You can go to the Nightmare Machine website to participate.

“Creating a visceral emotion such [as] fear remains one of the cornerstones of human creativity,” the researchers wrote on their website. “This challenge is especially important in a time where we wonder what the limits of artificial intelligence are: Can machines learn to scare us?”
>>
>>80793
WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS?!
>>
>>80800
They serve their robot masters and wish to help them conquer and rule all humans, they are essentially pets.
>>
>>80800
Because it's cool.
>>
>>80800
When man turned to God and asked why? God said: why not.
>>
>>80800
They like Black Mirror
>>
Yawn. More overblown AI hype. Scaring humans is trivial. Let me know when a human can scare an AI.
>>
>>80820
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddX9hnhDS4
>>
>>80793
The ride never ends lads
>>
>>80820
You pretend to accidentally say to them, "rm -rf /location/of/ai/code"
>>
>>80793
THANKS, OP.
YOUR CAPS LOCK REALLY HELPED ME NOTICE HOW MUCH OF A DOUCHE YOU ARE.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.