[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Strange Signal coming from Star point toward ALIEN LIFE!!!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 1

File: Disco.jpg (558KB, 1643x1141px) Image search: [Google]
Disco.jpg
558KB, 1643x1141px
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/aliens-proof-evidence-facts-stars-scientists-extraterrestrial-life-et-intelligence-a7377716.html

Could they be trying to actually reach us instead of the other way around?
>>
>>80701
>proof-evidence-facts
Well, somebody's pretty confident.
>>
>>80701
If like for it to be true.
>>
>>80701
If Empire Earth has taught me one thing then it is that you DO NOT WANT TO MEET others which are at least one Period ahead.
>>
>>80718

>If we say it enough it will be true
>>
>>80701
>independent.co.uk
Let me stop you right there.
>>
>>80757
Why?
>>
>>80701
>It's a Nasa wants more funding episode
>>
>>80701
nice video of stock footage with subtitles.

What about actually posting the god damn signal recordings? Some reasoning to why it's not just a rare thing with stars? If 200+ signals are being directed here. That means 200+ sets of eyes. Looking. Right. Here. 200+ empires at least advanced enough to recognize and remain aware of us.
>>
Typical independent
Many outlets report on these news, most say "credible evidence of extraterrestrial life", which is what these new facts would point too. Not proof, or sightings or any of the sort. Credible evidence that may very well be pointing to the existance of other intelligent lifeforms.
What does the independent do to these fascinating news?
Shower it in hyperbole and sensationalistic crap, making the incredible notion that there is any evidence at all for the possible existance of intelligent life into just another news article no one will absorb a word of.

Take these news for what they are:
There is now credible evidence that a "star" that have been observed for over 100 years may be the result of communication between alien civilizations.
Note, however, that this "star" is 1500 lightyears away, so whatever created it, if it was aliens, is 1500 more years more developed than they were when they created this light for communcation.
>>
>>80943
>whatever created it, if it was aliens, is 1500 more years more developed than they were when they created this light for communcation.
Assuming they aren't dead.
Anyone thinking they are trying to contact us also needs to accept the fact that whatever they are responding to is 3000 years old Earth, at which point humanity had no real influence on the solar broadcast.
>>
>>80944
I almost included a line eluding to that they may be dead, though it is not impossible that they may be a type 2 civillization if they have a reason to commuicate between planets at which point the nuclear destruction that has likely destroyed many civilizations before and will likely be the end of ours wouldn't be as big a threat since it's an interplanetary civilization, also, the idea that they are trying to communicate with us is wrong, they have no reason to try and communicate with us since ,as you said, what they would have seen when sending the broadcast would be earth 3000 years ago.
>>
>>80944
What if it says " we have sent an armada of war ships, it will take about 1500 years to reach you, prepare your anus"
>>
>>80946
Then it was probably not meant for us, as I just said.
>>
>>80946
They would have no way of knowing we exist. They are probably responding to another signal from several millennia ago, another civilization that had this technology at the time.
>>
>>80916
Not him, but it's fascinating and finally answers the question 'are we alone?'.
>>
>>80955
>they would have no way of knowing we exist

Except for the infinite possibilities that you haven't considered. I don't even know why I'm responding to your post it was probably intended for someone in the past because I'm on dial-up.
>>
What if aliens are constantly messaging other races left and right on a intergalactic 4chan type website on an intergalactic internet that we can't access due to our limited technology and what we receive or manage to catch are the old as fuck posts that were deleted centuries ago?
>>
>>80701
thought i was on /x/ for a second
>>
>>80955
They could be sending signals to any star systems seemingly capable of supporting life, just in case life does exist there and has the ability to respond.
>>
>>81001
One can only dream
>>
>>81001
>basically every other species has been calling the human race newfags for millions of years.
>>
>>80947
Not necessarily. Some members of our species thought SETI was a good idea, it's possible they have like minded beings. Just shouting into the dark.
>>
>>81053
kek
>>
Wouldn't most sufficiently advanced civilizations use quantum entanglement to convey information, so that vast empires don't have communications blocked by the light-speed limit?

It might mean that most electromagnetic communications are done by civilizations before advanced spaceflight.
>>
>>81001
The aliens are sending out 1500 year old Pepe memes
>>
>>81053
this made me chuckle to myself
>>
>>80701
We better send them some welcome nukes before they do.
>>
>>80943
>Note, however, that this "star" is 1500 lightyears away, so whatever created it, if it was aliens, is 1500 more years more developed than they were when they created this light for communcation.

If they're even still in existence at all.
>>
>only had electricity for 17 quazons
Newfags
>>
>>80701
maybe they want to "add" more meat that taste like "Chicken"in their food plates
>>
>>82400
Humans taste like pork. Not chicken. Those Polynesian savages even called white people "long pig" due to the taste.
>>
>>81320
just look at the sky after dark,see that "star" that's pure white among all the other's it's gotta be something else entirely it's TOO strong in the sky compared to literally everything else out there
>>
>>81320
I don't remember the specifics, but quantum entanglement is fundimentally random, as you change the state of the entangled particle, it has a 50% of having the same state it had before, so as you change the state, the other entangled particle can seem as it didn't change at all. You could say you can change again and again to ping, but keep in mind that measuring it can also change the state, so every time you want to see if you've been pinged, you might see a false positive or a false negative.
>>
>>85408
Well I hear that that some people who were working on it and started to have some good results. Maybe their method solves for this problem?
>>
>>82449
Wrong they taste like veal dumb ass
>>
Don't know why people are so hyped to be contacted. Unless it's a race of pacifists, I don't think we'll bode well against a race so much more advanced than us,
>>
>>85438
wtf I love humans now
>>
To the aliens, humans are probably just a bunch of savages to be eradicated, studied or exploited
>>
Allahu Akbar!
The U.S. must take Monroe Doctrine now.
The U.S. must withdraw American Forces from all Foreign Countries now.
Stop America's doing its all wars now!

I love American99% and the U.S.

China, Germany and Japan must loosen Germany's, Japan's and China's monetary policies now!
China, Germany and Japan must stimulate Germany's, Japan's and China's domestic demands now!
Japan and Germany must issue a lot of construction bond now!
Japan and Germany must reduce Germany's, Japan's and China's taxes now!
The U.S. must tighten its monetary policy now!
As a result, Dollar value will rise!
The U.S. will have trade surplus!

Japan, Germany and China are evil empires.
Islamists' true enemies are Japan, Germany, China, FRB, top1%, Wall Street, American Military Industry and DOD!
Allahu Akbar!
>>
>>80701
>trying to reach us

For what purpose. We can't help their asses with anything, we can't even function properly as a society.
>>
>>80945

I stopped reading after you mistakenly use 'elude' as opposed to 'allude'.
>>
>>85505
wrong aliens
>>
>>80760
Meme the alien invasion onto Earth. Let's bring this to /pol/.
>>
>>81001
imagine the memes
>>
>>85482
Only if they're significantly developed technologically over humans in most ways. i.e. Colonials to African tribes.
>>
>>85738
They could try to teach us their language, better to have us know that so that they can asses what we do know.
>>
>>85433
Really?! I will search this up first thing I can, because this sounds unbelievable. I haven't into science for a long time, so stuff may have changed greatly.
>>
>>86046
Here's the article that I read: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37408013
I didn't research further into it since it's not my thing.
>>
>>80937
>It's a Nasa wants any funding episode
They have shit to work with really.
>>
>>85408
>>81320
as anon said, from what I understand, quantum entanglement is random (or perhaps already set in a pattern?). there is no way you can transfer information via it
>>
>>80701
nice is that Syd Mead?
>>
>>86091
Read >>86049, apparently there's a team who did accomplish it via entanglement (or teleportation of the state of the photon as they call it)

The news article cites this:
http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v10/n10/full/nphoton.2016.180.html
>>
>>86049
>>86158
part 1
Okay. I read the BBC article. I read another news article, and I read the first part of the science paper.
>what this is about
-This is about quantum teleportation of states.
-This is about quantum computing in networks
-This is about the DISTANCE at which quantum entanglement has been observed
-this is media hype over stuff they 'want to be true, just like people called the M drive a warp drive, which it was not
>what it is not about
-It is not about quantum entanglement in use of information transportation.
>Extract: "If a photon interacts with a member of an entangled photon pair
via a Bell-state measurement (BSM), its state is teleported over
principally arbitrary distances onto the pair’s second member"
-from first paragraph of published paper
>"bell state"
>:Extract: "The Bell states are a concept in quantum information science and represent the most simple examples of entanglement. They are named after John S. Bell because they are the subject of his famous Bell inequality. An EPR pair is a pair of qubits (or quantum bits) which are in a Bell state together, that is, entangled with each other. Unlike classical phenomena such as the nuclear, electromagnetic, and gravitational fields, entanglement is invariant under distance of separation[dubious – discuss] and is not subject to relativistic limitations such as the speed of light (though the no-communication theorem prevents this behaviour being used to transmit information faster than light, which would violate causality)."
-from first paragrapph of wikipedia article
>causality
-remember causality
So what is the problem here? The problem is that people think you can bypass the problem of quantum entanglement and teleportation by just engineering a smart enough system.
-It is IMPOSSIBLE to communicate via quantum entanglement, bell state teleportation or any sci-fi FTL
-It will always be impossible to communicate via these methods
>why?
>continued in part 2
>>
I believed they had got what they came for,
I believed that our peril was done.
>>
>>86542
All I want to be is washed out by the sea
>>
>>86541
part 2
- Okay so what is the problem here? They teleported the stuff instantly and the clocks were all correct. They transfered info faster than light.
>no they didn't.
-I mentioned causality.
Causality is FUNDIMENTAL principle in physics which says that 2 parts of the universe CAN NOT communicate with each other faster than light.
Light Speed, it actually THE SPEED OF CAUSALITY. Light is just 1 thing that travels at Speed of Causality ( approx. 300 000 km/s ) through vacuum.
So what else travels at "light speed"?
-Gravity.
-EM field and their changes
-gluons
The speed of causality is a fundimental property of the universe. Just how you can never say "1kg of matter doesn't have mass." You also can never say:"I can communicate across the universe instantly." Because the universe itself can't do that.
>inb4 wormholes.
don't ask me about wormholes or black holes. The amount sof energy and the relativistic mindfucks that are involved are too much for me. Also I know very little in the subject
>back to causality.

Okay, so what if I tell you that quantum entanglement is instant communication, but not at the same time? You can transport info, but the universe will force you to use light speed to know that you did. This is part of the law of information.
Bear with me, this might be a mindfuck.
>continued in part 3
>>
>>86544
Part 3
- Okay so what is the entangled pair of particles and what is this "spooky action at a distance" that quantum entanglement is all about?
So in the most simplest way you can say that:
If you change the spin of 1 photon, the spin of the other entangled photon changes to the opposite axis of photon #1.
So they did this at a distance of what? 6km? big deal. You could do this while having 1 particle on Earth, and the other on Pluto. And you could indeed change the other particle's state instantly by changing yours.
Both parties check their particles, measure the atomic time.
>Particle A spin was up at 10:00PM
>Particle B spin was down at 10:00PM
>Particle A spin was down at 10:01PM
>Particle B spin was up at 10:01PM
How do they know this?
>they tell each other
How?
Probably via radio-wave communications.
Internet, cell phone, space inter-comm etc.
They have to know what the other particle's spin is to see that theirs is the opposite.
>why?
Because it changes EVERY TIME YOU LOOK AT IT.
If you look at your particle, you change the spin, and you have no idea which direction, because every time it has a 50% chance of going up or down.
The other guy? Same thing.
THIS IS THE MINDFUCK THING.
The universe is keeping you from communicating faster than light.
There is this weird barrier you can't cross
Why?

BECAUSE E=mc^2

How much energy is in 1 kg of matter if c = 300 000?
E1kg = 1 x 300 000 = about 300 000 joules (J)
How much energy is 1 kg of matter if c = infinity?
E = 1 x infinity
E 1kg = infinity J
See the problem?

If you communicate instantly, you make c = infinity,
Theoretically, if you did communicate via QE, you would make the mass of the Earth be infinite, and that would break the universe.
The only exception are singularities and your mother. Those can be infinite mass, because they are surrounded by event horizons which don't let you see them, therefore it doesn't violate causality.
>>
>>86547
Forgot to mention that-
E= energy
m= mass
c= speed of causality ( speed of light)

There is also this theoretical thing called a naked singularity, which when seen by someone would destroy the universe, because that means you are looking at something with infinite mass and density. A paradox.
I dread to think what would happen if someone saw a naked version of the other exception.
>>
>>81053
>Humanity is the equivilent of a Wojak crying his eyes out because he can't triforce like the rest of the galaxy.
>>
>>85812
Meme aids into your blood stream faglord>>85812
>>
>>86550
>I dread to think what would happen if someone saw a naked version of the other exception.

I see what you did there.

Interesting stuff. Do you have a background in this or are you just an enthusiast?
>>
>>86574
Thanks. No I'm just an enthusiast. I am lacking the mathematical background to do any real work in the field. The fact that I forgot the ( ^2 ) in the equation is a good sign of that. The energy in 1kg is therefore 300 000^2. Anyway.
Yeah no , I love science. You can understand it pretty well without the equations as well.
>>
>>86550
Interesting. So this is how quantum entanglement works in the current scientific/mathematical model of the universe.

I guess one way to prove that either the model holds or not is to attempt it at a point where light takes a noticeable amount to travel (at least a second). Best place would be in space somewhere and it would have to be done after the team working on that would perfect their method?

A paradox tells you that there's another solution/approach to the problem.
>>
>>80945
>the nuclear destruction ... wouldn't be as big a threat since it's an interplanetary civilization
Le nope

The reason we haven't nuked each other on Earth is because of mutually-assured destruction. If we destroy the Earth our enemies live on, we also destroy the Earth that we live on. As soon as humans colonise other planets, that all goes out of the window, because when there's a war between Earth and Mars (or wherever), we have the power to annihilate Mars without anyone on Earth being harmed.
>>
>>86631
When it comes to singularities and time travel, yes. Paradoxes usually have solutions and the universe might even impose it's own solution. That it why QE is random. That is the universe's solution to the paradox of communicating at FTL speed.
Keep in mind, though. There are some things that are likely to change, but some not so much.
The observer effect is pretty much set in stone.
I can say with 99.9999.... % certainty that quantum entanglement is useless for communication. Because of the observer effect.
You know your particle is the opposite spin at any given moment, but to see what it's current spin is, you ahve to act on it somehow. Let's say you look at it with a badass microscope. What is a microscope? Well, you basically just enhance the light that hits the object you are looking at. Well there you go. Light just hit your entangled particle and that changed it's spin.
What was the spin before you checked? Who knows. You can theoretically both syncronize your machines and look at your particles hitting them with light at the same time, so you know for sure you are looking at "direct feed." How does knowing that help you communicate, though? You can change it yourself, but then that is random.
Time travel is a fun thing to think about.
There is a theory that you can travel through time. You can theoretically go and kill yourself before you made the time machine. The universe will however cycle through all of the possible chain of events and chose the one with the smallest changes, but which will allow for no paradox.
Basically: You go back in time to kill yourself, but your gun jams, and then you go hand to hand - BUT YOU GET KILLED. You go back to kill your grandfather, but he isn't there that day. This is my favorite theory tbh.
We know that matter is a big cloud of "what if?"before something acts on it. The same might be true with time and events. IMHO if you ever communicate via QE, you will fail and not know it. The universe will make it so.
>>
>>86661
You change it yourself and that can be random, or break the bond entirely, Thiss is all based on quantum randomnesss, might I add.
The only possible solution I can see is system of quantum computers on each end with: "change state to up every time is state is down." The machine would notice by probability calculations, that there is a a pattern to states. You risk breaking the state by forcing it's change, you also change the satte by measuring it, however. So see I am not very keen on the idea. It just fucks with causality too much.
Microscopic wormholes might be the way to go, but that can also fuck with causality, and makes traveling to the past a possible thing. This very mindfucky territory we are in right now. It deals with causality and refference frames. I want to see that experiment you mentioned. Just entangle a pair on opposite sides of the solar system, change states and try to predict other sides operations without destroying the universe. ( hopefully)
>>
Update
I was a bit wrong.
You can send information via QE.
It is still fundimentally random and can not be used.
So rule of thumb:
You can not send useful information faster than light.
Causality is preserved if you can't act on the information. If it is random dribble, then it is no more different from the quantum static we live in already.
>>
If it is coming from more than 1 star, then it would be best to not make ourselves known
>>
>>86694
I'm pretty sure that doesn't meet the mathematical definition of "information", then.
>>
If we ever do get a solid signal/proof of alien life communicating, i'd be both happy and extremely sad, seeing how they're so far away that they're all probably dead by now.
>>
>>86795
Well I was just getting my point across to those who aren't enthusiastic about the subject. I would agree. But people think info is just anything that can be made into data. You can send info by QE in a sense that when later viewed you see a correlation between opposite states. Instant viewing will make it random for casuality's sake.
>>
>>86797
Not if it is coming from more than 1 source. If that is the case it means they are expanding, which is both good and bad.
>>
Great article
>>
imagine that we finally get a signal from another life form and instead of them being super intelligent gods, they are just a bunch of fat lazy slobs held together by a few gifted individuals, just like us, and that signal is just their version of satellite tv, and its their version of the bachelor or some other stupid shit
>>
>>80759
One thing i've learned about humans, is that fear comes before war. Those who fear are usually the most vicious.
>>
>>80759
>If Empire Earth has taught me one thing then it is that you DO NOT WANT TO MEET others which are at least one Period ahead.

I dunno what "Empire Earth" is but I'd say the most dangerous aliens would be those who are closest to our level of technology and civilization.

A more primitive species wouldn't be a threat, as we'd have the upper hand, nor would a highly advanced species be dangerous, as they'd have no need to invade Earth but aliens who are more or less like us, would probably result in a kinda Cold War as both species would try to take advantage of the other.
>>
>>86011
Colonialism was just a blip on the human timeline, it's already over and irrelevant, why would aliens make the same mistake?
>>
>>86905
Read what he wrote again.
>>
>>86541
I could have sworn I've seen this explanation before, deja vu?
>>
>>80941
>What about actually posting the god damn signal recordings?

I was greatly disappointed.
>>
>>86878
Any race capable of actually getting to this planet, could easily wipe us out. Either by a relativistic weapon, or some other advanced technologies.
>>
>>87075
> > nor would a highly advanced species be dangerous, as they'd have no need to invade Eart
> Any race capable of actually getting to this planet, could easily wipe us out.

Any race capably of getting to this planet, can get to any planet, so why bother with this one that's full of violent and smelly huumans?
>>
>>87177
tasty snacks? cheap labor?

I'm going with intergalactic sex tourism, They travel hundreds of light years to stick things in our rectums. We might as well be Thailand
>>
They are trying to see if there is life on other planets stupid enough to respond. As soon as we do, they colonize.
>>
>>86011
>Colonials to African tribes.

Not exactly. Took years for Colonies to actually be established due to how hostile the climate was to Europeans. Only when medicine advanced enough did exploring the interior become a thing.

Even when they owned colonies there was a fuck ton of resistance to get and maintain those colonies.
>>
>>80946
>we're gonna attack you
>just a sporting heads up
>if you'd like to know more, our battle plan is publicly available at the planning depot on Alpha Centauri
>>
>>87208
>Took years for Colonies to actually be established due to how hostile the climate was to Europeans.

Actually, it took very little time to colonize Africa, it's just that Europeans had little interest in the African heartland until the late 1800s as up until then, whatever of value that was coming out of Africa (ivory and slaves, mostly) was provided by the Africans themselves bringing it to the coast for trade with the Europeans.

(also, why can't I post a pic in this thread?)
>>
>>87184
So your going to assume they're hostile?
>>
>>87184
What makes you think they'd be hostile?
What makes you think they'd need anything from our planet that isn't abundant in a multitude of other places and easier to obtain?
What makes you think that if they were hostile, and aware of us that they'd even bother making contact with us?
>>
>>80759
this
>>
>>86113
no I saved it from dabooru years ago anon
>>
>>80759

Earth is probably the most useless planet for an advanced civilization to want to invade -- Earth just doesn't have rare heavy metals in concentrated areas like other rocks and later-generation star systems do. There are only be 3 possible reasons:

1. Organic fuels (but humans have already used up the cheap ones to get by now anyway, while their uses to an advanced civ will be highly cost-limited as they'd be easy to synthesize as they're the most common elements in the universe), so we're actually in decent shape for that.

2. Zoos on every colony (but there won't be enough colonies for them to need to steal even 1% of us, and there are plenty of people who should be fucking glad to live a life of leisure and endless fucking with a trip through space).

3. Humans taste delicious. Okay, this was why the Galapagos turtles nearly went extinct. It's a legitimate fear. Hopefully they have an expansive sense of extra-species ethics and well-developed meat synthesis technology if this were the case.
>>
>>87184
They don't need to wait for us to send special messages to them. We've been broadcasting for over a century. This isn't the first time people thought they found alien signals either. The problem is radiowaves are a natural phenomenon. There are so many signals coming from pulsars and other shit out there it's difficult to say if it is intentionally structured for communication.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.