[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cave Art Reveals 'Bizarre' Hybrid: the Higgs Bison

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 980x[1].jpg (320KB, 980x1470px) Image search: [Google]
980x[1].jpg
320KB, 980x1470px
http://www.seeker.com/cave-art-reveals-bizarre-hybrid-the-higgs-bison-2052105310.html

>Researchers have identified a previously unknown hybrid species of bison and cattle, with the help of cave drawings dating to at least 12,000 years ago.

>Nicknamed the Higgs Bison (a play on the physics term Higgs boson) because of its once mysterious, elusive past, DNA analysis has verified the existence of the hybrid.

>A new study published in the journal Nature Communications describes how the animal originated more than 120,000 years ago through the hybridization of the extinct Aurochs, the ancestor of modern cattle, and the Ice Age Steppe bison, which ranged across the cold grasslands from Europe to Mexico.

>Higgs Bison eventually became the ancestor of the modern European bison, also called the wisent.

>Study co-author Alan Cooper, director of the University of Adelaide's Australian Center for Ancient DNA, said that the Auruchs and the Ice Age Steppe bison were "doing things they are not meant to be doing together and producing a completely new species that survived, which is bizarre because normally that's not meant to happen in mammals."

>Lead author Julien Soubrier, also from the University of Adelaide, told Seeker that while hybridization or interbreeding between closely related mammals is not uncommon, usually the resulting hybrids are either quickly reintegrated within one of the parents' species or the hybrids simply disappear due to low fertility.

>"What is most surprising in the case of the wisent," he added, "is that the hybrid form not only survived for more than 100,000 years, but potentially out-competed its parent species in some particular environments by better adapting to some of the extreme climate variations at the time."
>>
slightly better sources:
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37649597

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/10/18/498281083/higgs-bison-is-the-missing-link-in-european-bison-ancestral-tree

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-19/how-we-discovered-the-higgs-bison/7945666
>>
Does a Higgs Bison have a mass of 125 GeV?
>>
What makes hybrids have low fertility rates? Why did this guy overcome that?

This story touches on one aspect i've always really liked about biology or zoology: It's kind of like jeopardy. In many sciences, you have rigorous methods to solve open problems, but in biology, you already have the answers, it's just a matter of filling in the details.

>>80490
let's see if i still have it:

125GeV = 125 * 10^9 eV = 125*10^9*1.6*10^(-19) J = 200*10^(-10) J = 2*10^(-8) J

Ok and then use our trusty equation: E=mc^2 => m= E/c^2 and drop units because i worked them out earlier

m = 2*10^(-8)/c^2 = 2*10^(-8) * (0.5*10^(-8))^2 = 2*10^(-8) * 2.5 * 10^(-17) = 5*10^(-25) kg

how'd i do
>>
>>80495
Usually differences in chromosome number, like in the case of donkeys and horses. The fuck ups in chromosome # of the resulting mules really fucks up meiosis. There aren't fertility issues in a lot of interspecific crosses where both parents have the same number of chromosomes.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.