[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scientists in California just discovered a new type of earthquake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: Newport_Inglewood_Web_1024[1].jpg (47KB, 1024x415px) Image search: [Google]
Newport_Inglewood_Web_1024[1].jpg
47KB, 1024x415px
http://www.sciencealert.com/californian-earthquakes-can-strike-a-lot-deeper-than-scientists-ever-expected

>Researchers in southern California have discovered a new type of earthquake that can occur a lot deeper than expected - more than 24 km (15 miles) deep, in Earth's upper mantle.

>This new type of earthquake can't be detected by traditional seismic sensors, and has the potential to make quakes much more destructive than previously predicted.

>Until now, our understanding of earthquakes was that they occur in the top half of the planet's crust, as continental plates build up tension by pushing and rubbing up against each other.

>It was thought that quakes in southern California did not occur any deeper than around 19 to 24 km (12 to 15 miles), because below that is Earth's mantle, which is so hot that rock becomes a honey-like liquid, which is assumed to be incapable of building up seismic strain.

>But using the most powerful seismic sensors available, a team from Caltech in Pasadena detected small earthquakes occurring along the Newport-Inglewood fault line deeper than 24 km (15 miles), all the way into the Earth's upper mantle - representing a whole new type of earthquake.

>The Newport-Inglewood fault line is where the deadly 1933 magnitude 6.3 earthquake occurred, which killed around 115 people in the Long Beach area.

>Although the deep earthquakes detected along the fault so far have been minor - with a maximum magnitude of around 2 - the team thinks the fact that earthquakes can extend this deep could make future quakes even more devastating.
>>
>>79007
well that sucks. I'm moving.
>>
>>79015
>Just now realizing that he needs to move out of that shitville state.
>>
>>79042
He won't move though, typical californians, glad i left
>>
shit i'm moving asap
>>
>>79205
same tbh. im getting my nigger ass out of this place
>>
Fuck earthquakes i'm moving to Arizona because the heat is more bearable.
>>
>>79204
>typical californian
You fucks are moving and turning everywhere you land to shit
>>
>>79007
>all these cowards leaving
Good, without you this state will be so much better
>>
>>79213

>leave california because disagree with politics

>HURR DURR LIBERALFAG
>>
That state is garbage anyways....
>>
man i'd love to live in palo alto
>>
>>79007
Good guy God, finaly giving californian fags what they deserve.
>>
>>79229
If your shitty state sinks into the ocean or drifts off into the pacific the whole rest of the fucking country will be better for it.
>>
>>79478
t. Lex Luthor
>>
>>79478
Yes, I'm sure the country would be totally better for the loss of 13% of the economy, who needs tax funded federal programs anyways.
>>
>>79488
The country would objectively be much better off if The Greater Los Angeles Area fell in the ocean... from the Simi Valley to Santa Barbara to San Bernardino,
>>
>>79493
Secession is more likely.
>>
>>79926
As long as it takes out Hollywood.
>>
>>79493
>the country would be better off if the richest state with the most prominent schools and companies went away

Lmao @ ur shit state
>>
>>79968
>the richest state with the most prominent schools and companies went away
HAHAHAHAHA!
>mfw I have no face because you actually believe this
>>
>>79007
>around 19 to 24 km (12 to 15 miles), because below that is Earth's mantle, which is so hot that rock becomes a honey-like liquid,

This is so fucking wrong.
Where the fuck did this article come from?
The mantle is not fucking liquid , only the outer core is
>>
>>79488
I would gladly accept a poorer nation in exchange for less cultural marxism.
>>
>>79007
>all the losers that believe this leave
> most of em are fat because only stupid inbred walmart shoppers believe this nonsense
> California raises above the rest of the country cause our dead weight left
>>
>>80529
What's so unbelievable about it?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.