[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Police in India detain 750 over US call centre scam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 1462446926886.jpg (7KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1462446926886.jpg
7KB, 320x180px
Police in the western Indian city of Thane have arrested more than 750 people suspected of defrauding US citizens from a fake call centre.

Officers say the suspects obtained lists of US tax defaulters and used threats to obtain their bank details.

The scam is said to have netted more than $150,000 (£118,000) a day, making it one of the biggest frauds in India's history.

Thane police officials said they were contacting the FBI to ask for help.

Some 70 of those detained were formally arrested, police said, with the rest released pending further inquiries. Nine people believed to have led the scam have been identified.

The scammers pretended to be members of the US Internal Revenue Service, and told victims they owed back taxes.

In some cases, the victims were duped into buying gift vouchers from different companies and bullied into revealing voucher ID numbers, police said.

The scammers then made purchases with the voucher numbers.

Police say those involved in the scam at the Indian end retained 70% of the earnings, with 30% going to their US collaborators.

Paramvir Singh, the police commissioner of Thane, told reporters that 851 hard disks, high-end servers, and other electronic equipment had been seized.

Mr Singh said overnight raids on Wednesday had lasted well into the morning, and involved more than 200 policemen who had raided buildings in three locations in the city.

Thane police superintendent Mahesh Patil told BBC Hindi that the investigation could open up cases from other countries as well.

A US State Department official said: "We have seen reports and are following the situation closely to confirm any US citizen involvement. We would refer you to the local Indian authorities for further details on the case."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-37564408
>>
>>76806
Good. I feel bad for the people that fall victim to scammers.

Does this indicate a greater takedown of Indian scammers? Or have the police been doing this for a long time and this is just a major bust?
>>
How did they get to them?????
>>
I was taught from a young age that the IRS never calls you directly, they only send mail.
>>
These people are obviously scum and I'm glad they were caught yada yada, but how stupid do you have to be to think the IRS would take payment in the form of gift card numbers read over the phone?
>>
>"70" formally charged
one billion poops to go
>>
Give me one reason why India shouldn't have their internet region locked. The entire culture is shitty, from the streets to the web.
>>
>>76864
Because the same companies that run the world utilize Indians for all their customer support services
>>
>>76806
white people will just steal more money from the 3rd world to make up 4 it
>>
>>76884
What?
>>
My grandmother almost fell for a really similar scam once. This older guy called her for three days saying he was a part of the publisher's clearing house and that she won 1.5mil, all she had to do was send them a $350 check to the Virgin Islands. She was going through with it when a friend of hers stopped her at the post office 5 minutes before it closed, and she would've been fucked.
Another time I fixed a computer for a guy who fell for this shit big time. Some guy called him on his cell phone saying that there was a bad virus on his computer and if he paid them $150 they would clean his computer. They installed a few programs on it and obviously fucked it up a whole lot more. Then the scammer calls him and tells him he accidentally put 800 in his account and that he needed him to get $650 in apple gift cards or he (the scammer) would lose his job. The man spent about $450 before getting suspicious and sending me the computer BUT he never told me about the calls, it wasn't until I looked at the registry and saw a bunch of weird changes on a specific date that I called him up and he admitted it. I cleaned it up but he paid the scammers about 300 more than I charged him haha.

Tl;dr old people fall for this shit all the time and it's kinda dangerous, this one senile old woman near where I grew up lost 400,000 to con men over 8 years
>>
I got a call like this, but it probably wasn't the same thing because I'm not a tax delinquent. The guy got mad when I asked if he pooed in the loo.
>>
>>76900
He probably thought you were a toilet witch.
>>
No more face microsoft tech support calls wew! We won!
>>
>>77125
They only busted the hello I am call you from IRS you owe 500 dollar in tax and must give by 5 o clack
>>
>>77131
Noooo
>>
>>76840
>but how stupid do you have to be to think the IRS would take payment in the form of gift card numbers read over the phone?

People aren't thinking clearly when they get a threatening phone call from a government agency. They're scared shitless and want to resolve the issue immediately.
>>
>>76864
Moot banned Indian IPs because all the spammers from a few years ago were from there.
>>
>>76896
My dad almost fell for the Nigerian price scam. He got a email saying a rich relative from England died and all he had to do was send his bank account information to receive the inheritance. I found out about it because my dad asked me to fill in the information. We were so close to losing all our money. We don't even have family in England; we're Dutch.
>>
Never give any info!!! That being said, I do love fucking with these losers. https://youtu.be/d446rCau-Q8
>>
>>76840
Scammers go for en mass calling over believable schemes. I know of some that call stores pretending to be management trying to get free money on Greendot cards
>>
>>76900
You didn't fucking say that.
>>
>>77205
then how am I able to post?
>>
>>77205
i've posted from several locations around India without issue
>>
>>77307
>>77711

Not that anon. Happened a -while- back.

Everything coming out of Russia was banned for a few hours a couple months back too, big botnet attack or something.
>>
I got a call recently from one of the scammers, the caller id said washington, i reported his ass directly to the IRS, i hope he was caught.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.