[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

U.S. Signals Backing for Self-Driving Cars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

File: fleet.jpg (129KB, 768x511px) Image search: [Google]
fleet.jpg
129KB, 768x511px
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/technology/self-driving-cars-guidelines.html

>Federal auto safety regulators on Monday made it official: They are betting the nation’s highways will be safer with more cars driven by machines and not people.

>In long-awaited guidelines for the booming industry of automated vehicles, the Obama administration promised strong safety oversight, but sent a clear signal to automakers that the door was wide open for driverless cars.

>“We envision in the future, you can take your hands off the wheel, and your commute becomes restful or productive instead of frustrating and exhausting,” said Jeffrey Zients, director of the National Economic Council, adding that highly automated vehicles “will save time, money and lives.”

>The statements were the most aggressive signal yet by federal regulators that they see automated car technology as a win for auto safety. Yet having officially endorsed the fast-evolving technology, regulators must now balance the commercial interests of companies including Tesla, Google and Uber with concerns over public safety, especially in light of recent crashes involving semiautonomous cars.
>>
I'm just waiting for the first major accident with these things and the lawsuits that will erupt because of it. This is a lawyers wet dream either blame the motorist for not taking control in time, the government for not taking proper care of roadways causing the vehicle to go crazy. The vehicle manufacturer for a shoddy product or the company that use these vehicles in the first place
>>
>>73532
>the government for not taking proper care of roadways causing the vehicle to go crazy.

Looking forward to this part, might give them some incentive to do something about the shitty roads around here, especially after tomato season.
>>
>>73533
>After
>Tomato
>Season
Lolwut

Seems like another way to make the poor poorer.
>You can no longer drive normal cars to your job, sorry poor people. New autonomous cars only.
>>
The whole point is that people are shitheads and can't drive properly without causing death

Remove the human error and you get less accidents. Plain and simple.
>>
>>73532
>I'm just waiting for the first major accident with these things and the lawsuits that will erupt because of it.
you mean like this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/business/self-driving-tesla-fatal-crash-investigation.html
>>
>>73551
And for the people who enjoy autosports?
>>
>>73571
Go to the track
>>
>>73572
When only autonomous cars are sold, with what?
>>
>>73575
Manufacturers might still sell them, or small companies might make cars specific for it, but they'll all probably be expensive as all hell.

As an /o/ fag, this is the beginning of the end
>>
>>73516
>"We envision in the future, you can take your hands off the wheel, and your commute becomes restful or productive instead of frustrating and exhausting,"

>stuck in traffic
>take hands off wheel
>suddenly relaxed and well rested
>>
>>73551
Technology is man-made. If a human builds a robot, then the robot will be prone to mistakes.
>>
>>73584
traffic will be reduced by the efficiency of automated cars.
>>
>>73588
I don't really believe that because I don't think we'll lose all control over the car. All its going to take is one idiot that doesn't like the bullshit speed limits around here to speed down the freeway and ruin everyone's fun.

Or better yet
>decide to increase speed
>local law enforcement immediately notified
>ticket with speed info directly from your car is mailed to you
The possibilities are endless

>want to modify car
>Tesla wirelessly bricks your car
>fined for illegal modification
>>
>>73539
really doubt that will happen. Have you seen the NRA? Auto companies will rally the public against any legislation restricting non-self-driving vehicles. Just say No!
>>
Soon there will be 2 billion cars on the planet. The status quo will die. There will be 2 day traffic jams, a lot more pollution and gas prices will rise. The government is counting on technology to save us.
>>
>>73603
There are already 24 hour traffic jams where I live friend
>>
>>73558
Seriously. Who here would really trust themselves to be driven around by a machine? How does a car understand right of way? Or the basic human ettiqutes that are involved in everyday driving. I'd get so pissed if some cunt with his hands crossed and sleeping cut's into my parking
>>
>>73603
>There will be 2 day traffic jams

HAHAHAHAHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKhsPO6yYko
>>
>>73622
Here's an even better view

think AI cars and trucks can solve this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3kL6nMap2s
>>
>73589
Are you advocating the relinquishment of our small freedoms. The goddamn system has taken enough from us!
REEEEEEEEE!
>>
>>73589
Why modify something that will only go as fast as the posted speed limit? It's S E L F D R I V I N G\\ [f u t u r ë s p e e k]
>>
>>73623
Do you people truly not understand that humans cause the traffic? If spacing and speed were calculated perfectly, stuff like that could be avoidable.
>>
>>73629

>If spacing and speed were calculated perfectly, stuff like that could be avoidable.

Well it's not that simple, you also need to take into account the volume that a given roadway can take, since as you approach the max capacity of a road, speed is reduced to accommodate more vehicles, especially at chokepoints like entrance and exit ramps or lane reductions. So in order to prevent that you would need to network all the self driving cars so they avoid routes that are reaching capacity. This also assumes that there are enough alternate routes, and in some of the more poorly designed road systems in the world there simple isn't enough global traffic capacity to take it all.
>>
Europeans are so blown the fuck out, they can't even reply now that Sumerian refugees have gone to bed with their wives.
>>
>>73664
lel our steamboats are the best in the world you jolly roger
>>
So would if we were to throw a ball at people to test reflex speed at the DMV and gave out more tickets to brake checkers and slow drivers
>>
>>73516
I got a feeling someone can hack into these cars and use them for chaos like a bombing or running people over
>>
>>73712
Yes, because automakers would put an explosive device in the cars just in case. Fuck off tinfoiler. The real question is, when there is a wreck, if the owner is just riding in the car, who is at fault? Why would automakers put themselves at risk like this?
>>
>>73660
It is that simple

https://youtu.be/iHzzSao6ypE
>>
>>73718
Teslas have already been hacked, fool!
>>
>>73532
I'm waiting for 'mr robot' scenario
>>
oh great, a mobile terrorist opportunity
>>
>>73516
>tfw uber/lyft (at least as we know it as hiring humans) is kill
>>
>>73619
What the fuck do you mean how does a car understand right of way? It looks at the cars at the intersection and checks who was first. Self driving cars have more sophisticated programing than just turn and go forward
>>
>>73629
One of the major problems I heard about these cars was kids. During self driving tests kids would intentionally jump in front of it cause they knew it had to stop. I can see that becoming a big problem in the first few years.
>>
>>73575
Maybe it'll be like auto cars where you can still change gears but have the option not to do so.
>>
>>73718
I dunno but at least insurance claims could more accurately decide who was at fault.

Maybe one day people will say it was insane that humans were ever allowed to steer their own cars.
>>
>>73660
Self driving cars and an automated toll both that doesn't require stopping would solve the problem.
>>
>>74330
Kids do this to regular cars all the time. Well, youths.
>>
>>73516

I'm looking forward to self driving cars because think of all the mindless traffic tickets that wouldn't happen any more.

What would police do if they couldn't randomly pull people over for silly minor infractions? Oh yeah - they could work to solve the backlog of unsolved murders, rapes, kidnappings, and to respond to emergency calls.
>>
>>73516

Self-driving cars are programmed to kill drivers should the endanger pedestrian's lives.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a21492/the-self-driving-dilemma/

No thank you. I'll take my chances with a chauffeur.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.