[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

India’s government is now shaming people into using toilets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

File: 1463615173444.jpg (5KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
1463615173444.jpg
5KB, 100x100px
India's government has been on a public toilet building spree. Now, it's trying to shame people into using them.

An aggressive new campaign ridicules those who are no longer poor but continue to defecate in the open — a practice that remains common in rural India despite its growing wealth and trappings of modern life.

Television commercials and billboards now carry a message that strike at the heart of the Indian contradiction of being the world’s fastest-growing major economy and also where relieving oneself in the open is the norm in most villages.

Since Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s “Clean India” mission set a target of 2019 to end the practice, the government built millions of new toilets.

[India is building millions of toilets, but that’s the easy part]

In fact, the advertisements mock the very idea that India is developing. The tagline says: “Only the habit of using a toilet is real progress.”

And the ridiculing is done by children.

“Uncle, you wear a tie around your neck, shoes on your feet, but you still defecate in the open. What kind of progress is this?” asks a child in one commercial. Another says: "You may have a smartphone in your hand, but you still squat on train tracks.”

Children are also shown making fun of men who buy a new flat-screen TV, refrigerator and a motorcycle but do not use a toilet.

[A huge garbage fire in India’s biggest city was so bad you could see it from space]

Research shows that one of the reasons for the stubborn social practice is the centuries-old caste system, in which cleaning human waste was a job reserved only for the lowest caste. Having a toilet at home is still considered unclean by many villagers. They regard it cleaner to go to the open farms, which can cause water-borne diseases, the second leading cause of death of Indian children younger than 5.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/09/08/indias-government-is-now-shaming-people-into-using-toilets/
>>
This is not the first time that the government has attempted to tackle social behavior.

Between 2006 and 2012, authorities gave awards to about 6,000 villages for shifting completely to toilets. But many of them lapsed back because there was no incentive to sustain the new practice.

Brides were asked to shun grooms who did not use toilets. In one campaign, rural men were admonished for making the veiled women in their families defecate in the open. Critics said it endorsed patriarchal attitudes. An unintended fallout of the campaign was that in many villages toilets came to be regarded as important for women, not men.

But now the government is tweaking the definition of modernity a bit. No, not that new bank job in the city; not the motor scooter, or the sofa. It is the toilet.
>>
something something poo in loo yadda yadda
>>
It's easier to teach a cat to use the toilet than get Indians to use one.
>>
>>71558

Oh don't worry OP, no need to post a picture of the ad that's big enough for us to actually read or anything.
>>
>>71579
The ad is not in english anyway.

A campaign across India shows children making fun of people who buy smartphones, flat-screen TVs and motorcycles but continue to defecate in the open.
>>
Good old religion holding progress back.
>>
>>71657
I don't think it's religion this time
>>
>>71658
Did you even read the OP? It literally says that the Hindu religion is the reason people don't want to poo in loo.

>Research shows that one of the reasons for the stubborn social practice is the centuries-old caste system, in which cleaning human waste was a job reserved only for the lowest caste. Having a toilet at home is still considered unclean by many villagers. They regard it cleaner to go to the open farms, which can cause water-borne diseases, the second leading cause of death of Indian children younger than 5.
>>
I'm not in favor of street shitting, but this campaign kind of rubs me the wrong way, It's the equivalent of a fedora-tier atheist walking into a church and yelling "OMG YOU STILL BELIEVE IN GOD HOW STUPID ARE YOU LOLOLOL." These people didn't ask to have modernization foisted upon them. It's another instance of globalization eradicating distinct cultures for the sake of one global consumer culture that can be easily exploited for shekels. I mean, look at what the article uses as examples of progress. Flat screen TVs. Motorcycles. Smart phones.

I hope Pajeet keeps shitting where he damn well pleases.
>>
>>71664

Even Africans are smart enough to go dig a hole away from their villages and food to go take a shit. It's basic stuff even animals do. There's no need for them to be shitting in the streets and crops. That's fucking absurd. And you're a moron to defend it.
>>
Its so cheap to travel there right now I am tempted to go but I dont want to step in human poop :(
>>
>>71668

Tourist areas are kept clean. Just don't go literally anywhere outside of those areas because it's gonna be a literal shitshow if you do.
>>
>>71664
>I'm not in favor of street shitting
>Goes on to claim it is part of their culture and should be protected.
>>
I don't get how these people can shit without wiping
>>
>>71673
They do wipe, with their hands they are not animals.
>>
>>71679
This, you shake hands with you right hand and wipe your ass with you left.
>>
>>71689
How do you know you are shaking hands with a right handed person?
>>
>>71659
But what if we fixed up things and you could shit next to your car and a homeless man comes and cleans it up.
>>
>>71711
Why not just shit in the toilet like a human instead of on the street like a beast?
>>
>>71664
>shitting in the street like savags
>culture

gimme a fucking break anon. its [current year] and they're acting like animals.

what part of their culture would be lost by enforcing basic hygiene?
>>
>>71690
Maybe lefties are just really good at wiping
>>
>>71664
Pajeet needs to step up his game if all it takes to destroy his cultural identity is to potty train him.
>>
>>71664
>It's another instance of globalization eradicating distinct cultures for the sake of one global consumer culture that can be easily exploited for shekels.

It's funny that when you think of Indian Culture, your first thought is their right to shit in their drinking water.
>>
>>71659
Why don't they just employ their lowest caste as their sewage workers then?
>>
>>71664
and yet that fedora tipper is absolutely correct, he should be applauded for bringing the superstitious and fearful lunatics some enlightenment
>>
>unclean to shit using a modern waste management system.
>clean to shit in your street
Protip: The reason the USA keeps having food born illness outbreaks is directly caused by importing food from third world literal toilets.
>>
>>71835
Not necessarily. A strawberry picker from California might scratch his sweaty ass in the middle of his shift. Always wash all fruits!!
>>
>>71690
The good ol' stinkpalm
>>
>>71558
Why is their religion not considered as pagan?
>>
>>71659

Hindu religion =! Cast system, you inbred
They have cast system in pakistan too, yet they are muslim and not hindu
>>
India should just hire a bunch of 4channers to walk around and call everyone "Pahjeet" and scream "poo in loo" and "designated shitting street."
>>
>>71668
Don't eat the streetfood unless you want to be eating 85% feces.
>>
>>71911
Say, would you like a chocolate covered pretzel?
>>
>>71938
This
>>
Not sure who's worse, India or China...
>>
>>71943
yet we use animal shit in plantation
>>
Imagine the rate of colon cancer will start going up
>>
>>71922
Every religion calls the others pagans, what are you even on about?
>>
>>71558
I'd take a shit in front of such a billboard as a protest!
>>
>>72004
Virgin boy eggs
>>
>>71558
But how are they going to convince indians that there's no toilet witch?
>>
Test post
>>
ou, interesting
>>
>>71558
sub-humans behaving like sub-humans... and this is news how?
>>
>>71721
And leave all the homeless without jobs?
>>
>>71581
>the ad is not in english anyway.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.