[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Facebook blasted after it censors ‘napalm girl’ photo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/09/09/norwegians-blast-facebook-after-it-censors-napalm-girl-photo.html

>Norway’s Prime Minister Erna Solberg Friday joined escalating protests over censorship by Facebook, posting the iconic Vietnam War picture of the “Napalm Girl” to her profile on the social media network.

>...
>>
>>71483
Facebook has been filtering and censoring media and users for years, people are so used to it that this will blow over in a few days and no one will care, and Facebook will continue on its crusade to remove content it deems problematic. Hell, the whole Facebook blocking swaths of right-wing (not even far right, either) news from appearing to people and only allowing centrist/left-wing news for the most part barely generated a spark. This is even less significant, especially because it's chinks. Now, if it were a Holocaust photo, then there would be outrage.
>>
>>71484
Very true but I hope that this does not continue. Censorship is unethical.
>>
>>71485
Facebook can do whatever it wants as The social media juggernaut, so unless there's a total overhaul of the system and a mass purging of the higher-ups, it won't stop and will continue to get worse and worse. People are so desensitized to it and rely on Facebook as a vital function of their everyday lives so it's not like they'd ever even consider giving it up, either, so they will put up with it just so long as they can stay connected. It's a sad state of affairs, total censorship and an indifferent populace so pacified they will never object, not by a government, but by a company that offers a communications service.
>>
>>71488
>Facebook can do whatever it wants as The social media juggernaut,
Yet
Facebook's numbers isn't growing with the new generations.It is growing with the 3rd world and the old.

Facebook is becoming "not cool" since every grandma,poorfag,ethnic,weird turks and stalker can use it.
Censorship,adds,many "weird"/creepy people using it makes it less and less popular.
It will end up like HI5 being used by Africans and Asians.

Another social media site will break the monopoly,there are already new ones popping up.
>>
>>71490
I don't know, it seems like everyone has a small piece of the pie; Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and I'm sure there's many others, but none are in a position to usurp the giant; all have a share of users, but the vast majority of those users also use Facebook. I could be wrong about that, the only ''social media'' I use is 4chan, but it seems like no matter what main social media service you use, everyone will always have a Facebook account, just to keep in touch. The thing is, making a copy of Facebook won't kill Facebook, since people are creatures of habit and won't care to switch, but if you don't have the core functionalities of Facebook, you can't kill it, either, it has to be a mix of the traditional with something new. I do think that if Facebook does fall, it will be through the rise of AR and a more AR-friendly social media experience.
>>
>>71484
>problematic
>right-wing

Facebook doesn't have any political agenda in this. They censor and delete numerous things for entirely arbitrary reasons. They've deleted numerous LGBT groups, for instance. I would wager FB has actually censored more civil rights groups and organizations than they have conservative / alt-right nonsense.
>>
>>71485
>Censorship is unethical.

Unless they censor content you don't agree with, in which case it's perfectly okay.
>>
>>71495
Censorship is never okay anon.
>>
>this thread
>"Anyone who is non-white, non-straight or non-Christian should have to tolerate their wall being bombarded with hateful comments, because censorship is EVIL!"
>"Wahhh! I can't e-bully people! You're taking away MY rights!!"

You can't have a tyranny of the majority take over and drive out anyone they harbor prejudices toward. The service has to be made equally accessible to whatever regions of the world it's available in, and that unfortunately necessitates having to moderate content to keep users from organizing virtual lynch mobs against each other.

FB is not your personal doxxing / virtual harassment tool. No mature individual on the face of this planet will actually consider you a victim because FB has taken away your "right" to organize virtual lynch mobs using *their* private services. You guys are either extremely delusional or very transparent trolls.
>>
>>71485
>Censorship is unethical.
This kind of contrarian attitude is just what corporations like Facebook scoff at. A platform like Facebook has to be careful, as there are more people willing to be outwardly outraged by an image such as this one, in it's uncensored form, than people that are actually going to do something after they tweet an opinion like "CENSORSHIP IS WRONG MAAAN".

Art is different.
A post on facebook should fall under censorship guidelines. It is used by 14 year old (and younger) children. If nothing more than a black bar across the little girl's crotch.

They are right, they have to be consistent.
>>
>>71497
Who are you quoting? Are you in the wrong thread?
>>
>>71494
Did you miss that trending news story or something? It was blatantly political.
>>
>>71497
What are you even on about? The article and this thread have nothing to do with harassment, but rather Facebook's policy of banning nudity. It's like you just saw "Facebook" and went off on a completely random tangent.
>>
They will continue to censor shit. FB does what they want, they dont care about what people thinks. I have been lucky that they never has censored or deleted my lolicon drawings.
>>
>>71483
interestingly if you posted any other photo of a naked child that would get censored too.
>>
This is only going to get worse. We will see more and more censoring of our history. Then slowly pieces will be omitted because it may offend or disturb others, then finally rewriting history to suit the desires of the idiotic masses because they refuse to admit to reality,and instead substitute their own fake reality that they will then force everyone to agree is true, or else.
>>
>>71495
did you pull that out of your ass?
>>
>>71531
that's not interesting, and you're missing the point
>>
News from today in Norway states that Facebook reuploaded the picture after Prime Minister Erna Solberg posted the same picture and got it taken down.

Facebook withdrew the takedowns, everyone is happy - especially napalm girl!
>>
>>71644
Story to go with it (in Norwegian):
http://www.aftenposten.no/kultur/Na-har-Facebook-gjenopprettet-slettede-bilde-innlegg-604253b.html
>>
>>71491
i dont think facebook will die, but more and more i see the content available through it becoming less and less relevent/interesting

some new site will become everyones news agregator, some other may become their chatbox, but i really think that as time goes on, facebook will become a glorified phonebook
>>
>>71495
I like to see how many people are dumber than me. And I bet other, as well, like to see how stupid I am.

We both benefit from spewing shit, so why not have it?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.