[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

U.S. Justice Department officials plan to phase out their use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: CqJ-LgKWAAAo5g4.jpg (64KB, 1120x930px) Image search: [Google]
CqJ-LgKWAAAo5g4.jpg
64KB, 1120x930px
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/18/490498158/justice-department-will-phase-out-its-use-of-private-prisons

In making the decision, Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates cited new findings by the Justice Department's inspector general, who concluded earlier this month that a pool of 14 privately contracted prisons reported more incidents of inmate contraband, higher rates of assaults and more uses of force than facilities run by the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

"They simply do not provide the same level of correctional services, programs and resources; they do not save substantially on costs; and ... they do not maintain the same level of safety and security," Yates wrote in a memo Thursday.

At their peak, contract prisons housed approximately 30,000 federal inmates. By May 2017, that number will have dropped by more than half, to 14,000, Yates wrote. The Bureau of Prisons tends to use contract facilities to confine inmates who require only low security and who tend to be in the country illegally. The U.S. government spent $639 million on those facilities in fiscal year 2014, according to the Inspector General report, in payments to three companies: Corrections Corporation of America, GEO Group, and Management and Training Corp.

The Justice Department announcement will not touch the vast majority of prisoners in the country who are incarcerated by state and local authorities. But federal officials hope their decision will be a model across the correctional field.

Last month, the DOJ declined to renew a contract for 1,200 prison beds in a private facility. And it is making changes to a new contract bid to reduce the size of demand there, too.

"It has been a stain on our democracy to permit profit-making entities to be handed the responsibility of making determinations of individual liberty," Mauer said in a prepared statement. "Today's action moves us closer to a moment when government can once again assume this important responsibility."
>>
Good
>>
Libertarians btfo
>>
>>67743
But private companies always do a better job than the government!
>>
>>67755
When it comes to making money, sure.
But incarceration is a public service, so it shouldn't be approached as a profitable business. This is obvious for the rest of the world, but America has yet to figure it out.
>>
>>67753
>>67755
I can't wait for the deluge of free-marketer tears.
>>
The government has no right to do this REEEEEEEEEEEE
I want my civil liberties back!
>>
About fucking time
>>
>>67743
>"They simply do not provide the same level of correctional services, programs and resources; they do not save substantially on costs; and ... they do not maintain the same level of safety and security
They should have figured out why and fixed those problems instead of giving up our liberties by saying "nothing we can do" and just giving the job all to the government!!!!!!! The government isn't the only thing that can solve those problems! just had to work out the kinks ffs!
>>
>>67765
Either a fantastic satire, or a genuine libertard. Either way, humorous.
>>
>>67753
Meanwhile Obama still thinks the war on drugs is a great idea
I'm not a fan of private prisons but if we're looking at problems in our justice system the harm they cause is tiny compared to the drug war that Libertarians would end
>>
Bipartisan issue took this fucking long to be resolved.
>>
>>67769
>libertard
because, ya know, liberals are always pushing for privatized prisons
>>
>>67790
>what is libertarianism?
>>
>>67790
He means libertarians, not liberals.

For fuck sake, are you even 18?
>>
>>67790
Libertard = libertarian
Libtard = liberal
>>
>>67790
Collecting (You)s I see. Have one more from me.
>>
>>67743
if i were a tycoon and owned a prison id model them after the ones in norway.
>>
How are private prisons even legal? The government has a right to imprison you because you were found guilty of a crime. What right does a private corporation have to imprison you?
>>
>>67845
They dont imprison you
They provide prison service for the gov.
But why the fuck would burgers think hiring somebody to save on cost will provide the same thing they can do themselves with bigger cost?
>>
>>67846
Peverse incentives: a prison's social purpose is to reduce the number of prisoners (good behavior -> parole, rehab -> less recidivism), but a for-profit company running the show is incentivized by taking on more prisoners (and getting paid to expand if the population gets too high).

All prisons contract out things like food service and maintenance. Hell, contracting prison guards is even a good idea. But there's zero reason why the management structure should be let outside public control.
>>
>>67846
Didn't America have to imprison some judges a while back for taking bribes and kickbacks from private prisons?
>>
>>67846

>why do burgers do this?

because the free market is always better in all cases. If they did a bad job with the prisons the invisible hand of the market would have closed them. things that are bad don't make profit. things that make profit are good for america. government is inept. business is smart.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.