[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Witchcraft shop refuses to serve Harry Potter fans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: hp 074.jpg (287KB, 1600x1124px) Image search: [Google]
hp 074.jpg
287KB, 1600x1124px
>A shop which makes magic wands for real life witches and wizards has been blasted by Harry Potter fans for refusing to serve them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/07/witchcraft-shop-refuses-to-serve-harry-potter-fans-because-it-se/
>>
Interesting that the guy is discriminating customers by sight alone based on his religious/spiritual views. Replace "HP fans" with "blacks"/"gays" and the religion of "witchcraft" with "puritan Southern Christianity" and you have the 1950s (or modern for gays) U.S. South.

I don't know what the exact restriction is for merchants -- is it that he can't have a B&M store to sell his wands? Because surely he could sell them from his house, like say how raw milk sellers are allowed to operate.

Not sure how I feel about this, just as I'm not sure how I felt about the gay wedding caterers thing (since it's artisans asked to work in a private space, as opposed to say bartenders/restaurants providing direct service in a public establishment).

Would be interesting if it went to court, especially if as either a class action or per curiam legal challenge allied with the Christian no-gay-wedding bakers.
>>
>>66801
'Being a fan of children's books' is not a legally protected right in recognition of it being an inherent part of your nature.
>>
>>66801
>Replace "HP fans" with "blacks"/"gays" and the religion of "witchcraft" with "puritan Southern Christianity" and you have the 1950s (or modern for gays) U.S. South.

It's important to note that anti-gay discrimination happens all the time, and isn't (and can't be) legally prosecuted. Whatever state that gay wedding cake fiasco happened in, there must have been laws on a state level to recognize that kind of discrimination. That's not the case for all U.S. states, especially those based in the South. There are stores in my area that literally hang "No Gays" signs in their front windows.

But it's not that these states even have a more libertarian approach to the law. They do recognize certain forms of discrimination, and will not allow private businesses to turn away black people, for instance. It's just that they refuse to recognize turning away gay people as discrimination.
>>
>>66805
The article also says he refuses to sell to "dark" "wizards" and "witches." So basically he's discriminating against anyone that doesn't share his particular spiritual beliefs.
>>
>2016+
>GUISE! Magic is SERIOUS BUSINESS!

This is why I gave up on life. I
>>
That is some god awful craftmanship.
>>
>>66821
>So basically he's discriminating against anyone that doesn't share his particular spiritual beliefs.
God forbid an independent merchant was allowed to deny selling something to someone. It's not a doctor refusing to operate on someone because they're gay, if the fucking dorks want to get wands there are catalogs that sell replicas. Sales people should be allowed to deny service to anyone they want to. If they're willing to sacrifice a sale to protect their personal beliefs, they should be allowed to. Forcing someone to provide service to someone when they don't want to is akin to slavery in my book.
>>
>>66830
I somewhat agree with you, but it's really hard to draw the line. What's a legitimate grievance, and what's petty bullshit?

Like in this case, I can't take magic wands seriously. So IMHO the owner of the store is a faggot.
>>
>>66830
>Sales people should be allowed to deny service to anyone they want to.

In principle, but that's not going to float in the real world. If you're some kind of minority who was born and raised in a region that's virulently bigoted, what are your options? You could be refused housing, employment or possibly even higher education. The state can't allow these types of social disparities to occur, because then we just have an even bigger homelessness epidemic on our hands.

IMO, if you're serving the general public, then you need to serve the general public. If you want to enforce discriminatory policies, then become an exclusive membership club that doesn't operate to the general public.
>>
>>66826
Yeah, this. The wands are awful.
Plus I'm pretty sure you're supposed to make it yourself anyway. But I'm too lazy to ask /x/
>>
>The wands can be used to draw protective circles to ward off dark forces while owners meditate, bring them money, and help them find love.
>They can also be used to cure aches and pains and stress, speed a sick relative's recovery or wish for happiness, courage or physical strength.

BORRRIIING. Where's the wands that shoot fireballs or turn people into toads?
>>
>>66821
Yes, you should totally sell religious artifacts to people that are going to desacrate them

Maybe im gonna sell some crosses to radical feminists so they can use them as buttplugs
>>
>>66851
"Real" Magic is all about the power of belief, herbcraft, and alchemy. Not the stuff you see in Hollywood movies and Fantasy books. Imagine having a working knowledge of making pyrotechnics before guns were even around. Suddenly you're using magic to make fireballs. No, you're just mixing the powders and igniting it.
>>
>>66862
They already do that, you know. Jesus, Mary, Josef and Bush, Obama and Putin, all as dildo or butt plug. Just a google search away.
>>
>>66851
>>66867

Pretty much this. "Magic" and religion is just placebo effect attributed to supernatural forces.

>>66797
IMO if you have a public shop and went through the proper channels for permits, you either sell to everyone or you do everything privately.

If you want to be ignorant in your own home, go for it.
>>
>>66925
It's their business, if they don't want the money that's fine.
>>
>>66953
And what do we do when stores decide no shopping for black people? Did we say well they just won't get money then, it's their business?

They can't because we passed laws against it. Either everyone sells to everyone or your allowed to discriminate for any reason.
>>
>>67217
If a store refuses to sell to black people, somebody will open a store across the street that does, and the black people as well as whites who want to virtue signal will shop at the new store, and the owner will prosper.

That's how the free market regulates itself. Let people vote with their dollars and eventually even the most hateful miser will learn that peace is more profitable.
>>
>>67217
Pay close attention to this. >>67233
This is exactly why the market is amazing.
>>
>>66797
>real life witches and wizards
Top kek
>magic is real and very serious
ok sure.
>>
>>67233
And this is why every owner with a "whites only" store went out of business in mere weeks. Yes, the 1950s South was a perfectly comfortable place to be a black or Jew all thanks to the magic of the Free Market.

Come to think of it, as far as I remember it was only when the government started making us businessmen serve niggers too that racism actually started.
>>
>>66847
yes, you're right, you should. You're always invested personally in the things you make yourself. You can still buy nice things and consecrate them, realistically. The old books that tell you to make your own were written when you couldn't go down to a store and buy a nice thing, for one thing.
>>
>>66925
>"Magic" and religion is just placebo effect attributed to supernatural forces.
lol, no. spoken like a true know-nothing that thinks he knows everything in the universe.
>fag
>>
>>66824
>be wizard shop owner
>be current year
>run a buissness where you sell witch/wizard appearal
>not a good in great demand, need to drum up buissness
>harry potter is returning to theaters
>some kid walks in, first person in months
>"hey kid, what can I get .."
>stop mid sentence, notice the harry potter pencil in his back pack pocket, how dare they enter your sacred shrine to that is whats real and magical
>shop owner pulls out and cocks his magic want
>"we dont serve your kind here"
>kid runs off crying, a true victory for real wizards
>>
>>66801
>>66797
I've never been to the UK, but do they not have the same "Right to refuse service"-situation as we do in the states? If someone's being a problem, doesn't meet the rules or requirements, fails to adhere to posted regulations, or is someone to whom your business or practice is non-applicable (which is the relevant factor in this situation), you've the right to turn them away.
I can't think of a proper analogue, but assuming it's not all posturing and witchcraft and what have is his religion, so to speak, then it's understandable that he'd rather not sell what he views as instruments of both faith and power to people who, then, would be non-believers, and more importantly (to him) not respect the potential of the wand, or what it represents.
However, if the's just trying to make a pound off of actual believers, even then selling to HP fans could rapidly tarnish his reputation with those customers, and depending on how well he's making off it could be a solid business move to deny HP fans.
At the end of the day it's his business (both figuratively and literally), so as long as he's not an ass about it I don't see anything wrong with choosing not to sell his wares as toys to people he's confident will treat them as such.

Also, jumping from HP fans to races and religions is incredibly obtuse of you all.
>>
>>67301
>>not a good in great demand, need to drum up business
>advertising is too expensive
>ban a non-oppressed group in name of "religious freedom", hitting hot-button issue without seeming like bigot
>within a week everyone in the country knows about my store: it's name, where it is, what I sell; photos of my merchandise even appear on national news
>number of people entering my store increases 10-fold, many of whom impulse-buy
>FUCKING. PRO. FIT.

I doubt this was his master plan, but either way he played the Trump Card perfectly.
>>
>>67294
you didnt give any evidence unto why this is not the case. How would you disprove the fact that, throughout the numerous case studies, people were not able to create real change in the universe by doing something unrelated such as preying or meditating?
>>
>>67301
But it's the CURRENT YEAR I mean, CUMON
>>
I support the shop owner.

I'm a skeptic, leaning nonbeliever in magic and the occult, but I'm educated in it enough to know that items and trinkets related to it should not be in the hands of people who don't respect or understand the power those objects can possess. Like the article said, they're definitely not toys, real or not
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.