[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Judge overturns conviction of nephew in 'Making a Murderer'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 460x.jpg (40KB, 435x512px) Image search: [Google]
460x.jpg
40KB, 435x512px
>A judge on Friday overturned the conviction of a Wisconsin man found guilty of helping his uncle kill a woman in a case profiled in the Netflix series "Making a Murderer," ruling that investigators coerced a confession using deceptive tactics.

>U.S. Magistrate William Duffin in Milwaukee ordered Brendan Dassey freed within 90 days unless prosecutors decide to retry him. The state Department of Justice, which handled the case, declined to comment Friday. The state could also appeal Duffin's ruling.

>Dassey's case burst into the public's consciousness with the popularity of the "Making a Murderer" series that debuted in December. The filmmakers cast doubt on the legal process used to convict Dassey and his uncle Steven Avery in the death of Teresa Halbach, and their work sparked national interest and conjecture. Authorities involved in the case have called the 10-hour series biased, while the filmmakers have stood by their work.

>Dassey confessed to helping Avery carry out the rape and killing of Halbach, but his attorneys argued that his constitutional rights were violated throughout the investigation. Dassey didn't testify at his uncle's trial and his confession wasn't presented as evidence there. Both men are serving life sentences.

>Duffin said in his ruling that investigators made false promises to Dassey by assuring him "he had nothing to worry about."

>"These repeated false promises, when considered in conjunction with all relevant factors, most especially Dassey's age, intellectual deficits, and the absence of a supportive adult, rendered Dassey's confession involuntary under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments (of the U.S. Constitution)," Duffin wrote.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3e5bb3947bbc4506937efe10bb2203b4/federal-court-orders-release-man-featured-murderer
>>
How long was he in jail? I feel real fucking sorry for this kid, he got screwed by the system.
>>
>>66500
The reference to "intellectual deficits" leads me to believe he wasn't exactly going to become a neurosurgeon anyway.
>>
>>66506
what does that have to do with anything? Everyone deserves fair treatment under the law.
>>
>>66578
He admitted to helping rape and murder someone? I haven't followed this at all or watched making a murderer, how old was he when it happened? He should get some form of punishment albeit his time in jail is probably enough now.
>>
>>66583
your post seemed to imply that since he's not very smart then it doesn't matter that he may have been wronged by the justice system.
>>
>>66583

He has an IQ near 70. The police were out for a conviction. They knew the kid was a retard and could make him say what that they wanted with enough plying. Convicting him also got public opinion on the side of law enforcement so they could convict Avery too.

You know that ops are allowed to lie to get suspects to confess. They just kept saying "how did you do it" to the kid over and over again until Brendan said the story that the interrogator put into his head. He didn't know his rights. He didn't ask for a lawyer. He was fucked and should never have stood trial.

Check out the series. It's obviously one sided, but there's no doubt that Brendan's case was a serious miscarriage of justice.
>>
>>66500
10 years, and he might still have 90 days + a new trial.
>>
>>66588
That sounds so much more reasonable than a guy killing and raping someone
>>
>>66588
Say what you want about the other guy, what was done with Dassey was a travesty and at this point if you believe in the legal system and the right to a fair trial, then whether or not he did it shouldn't even factor into your judgement about this.

His defense lawyer hired a guy and put him in a room with Brendan, alone, for the sole purpose of getting a detailed confession out of him. His defense lawyer. Hired a guy to sit in a room with his client. For the sole purpose of getting him to incriminate himself. So they could give it to the prosecution. In that room his client continually said he didn't do it. "DRAW WHAT YOU DID BRENDAN, MAKE SURE AND GET THE CHAINS IN THERE".

Haven't raged internally that hard in my life.
>>
Dindu Duffin
>>
>IQ of 70
>anyone giving a fuck about what happens to a tard

Tards should not be allowed to exist. They're a drain on resources and can be easily manipulated.

Literally you should be put down if you can't contribute to society.
>>
>>66820
they are entertaining though
>>
>>66820
Mental health industry worker here.

So if your son/daughter goes through hs/college and develops a schizoaffective disorder (which happens more than you might think) they should be immediately euthanized?

"Literally" every single mentally ill person in any kind of residential treatment "can't contribute to society".

Disabled people too? So everyone is one bad day away from a bullet in the head?

As someone who has worked in the field for 15 years, I think we spend wayyy too much money on what amounts to adult foster care for these people, but your solutions are way2edgy4me, bruv.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.