[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NIH launches Zika vaccine trial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

>The new vaccines, called DNA vaccines, don't contain any infectious material, so that they can't cause a vaccinated person to develop Zika. DNA vaccines have an advantage over other kinds because because they can be manufactured and scaled up quickly. Once they're proven to work, "you can turn on a dime to make them," Fauci said.

>Scientists make DNA vaccines by genetically engineering a small, circular piece of DNA — called a plasmid — that carries instructions for making Zika virus proteins, according to NIH. After the vaccine is injected into the arm muscle, a person's cells read the genes and make Zika virus proteins, which assemble themselves into virus-like particles.

>The body mounts an immune response to these particles, protecting people from future infections, according to the NIH.

>If the initial NIH study proves the vaccine is safe, a larger study in a Zika-affected country or territory could begin in January, Fauci said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/08/03/nih-launches-zika-vaccine-trial/87996086/
>>
>>64564
Sounds pretty neat, but there's a caveat-- we're not using the same infectious material that originally causes the disease in the first place, but we're building something entirely new that kind of looks like the infectious agent.

Plasmids aren't inert matter. They're actual self-replicating stubs of DNA. Bacteria pass around plasmids to share whatever traits they code for without having to rewrite their core genetic structure. They aren't even necessarily restricted to one species or another, we've observed bacteria like to fead on the dead bodies of other bacteria, vacuuming up their genetic material and making it a part of themselves.

You can think of plasmids as a bacteria's religion-- it's not a part of them, but it changes their observable traits.

Now, I don't know about how mammals interact with plasmids. I'd think eukaryotic cells would be too specialized, too closed-off, and protected by an extremely effective immune system to have much use for--or much opportunity to encounter-- these plasmids. That mammal cells can use them at all is a surprise.

So, our cells that start manufacturing these proteins, do they get destroyed by our immune system since they're now "compromised"? What happens if one of these plasmids turn out to be very adept at reproducing itself, and produces enough to penetrate every cell in a person's body? Could be a huge autoimmune disaster. What happens if a bacterium gets ahold of a protein that we thought did nothing in a virus, but actually had a huge impact on the virus' ability to harm our immune system? We could be creating the next super bug.

So yeah. Just some things to think about.
>>
>>64567

>we're not using the same infectious material that originally causes the disease in the first place, but we're building something entirely new that kind of looks like the infectious agent.

This isn't entirely accurate. Second generation subunit vaccines use viral antigen proteins manufactured in vitro, whereas these third generation DNA vaccines use mammalian cells to manufacture the same proteins. In both cases the proteins don't come from live viruses.

>That mammal cells can use them at all is a surprise

Transfection of mammalian cells with bacterial plasmids in a laboratory setting is actually very routine. Depending on the delivery method plasmids can be either integrated into the host cell genome, or transiently expressed by transcription machinery in the nucleus for 48-96 hours.

>do they get destroyed by our immune system since they're now "compromised"?

Generally speaking, natural killer cells of the innate immune system only destroy cells that lack the major histocompatibility complex 1 (MHC I), whereas foreign proteins (antigens) synthesised inside cells are presented to T lymphocytes at the cell surface by MHC I and II. Activated lymphocytes travel to lymph nodes and initiate the immune response to those antigens.

>What happens if one of these plasmids turn out to be very adept at reproducing itself, and produces enough to penetrate every cell in a person's body?

This is a fairly remote possibility. Most plasmids do not encode genes necessary to encase the genetic material for transfer to a new host, and those will be the ones used for vaccines. Although mutation is always a possibility, mammalian DNA proof-reading machinery is much less error-prone than in bacteria, and so the mutation risk is far lower.

With regards to general safety, extensive clinical trials are required before approval of vaccines, and DNA vaccines have already been approved for use in veterinary medicine based on such testing.
>>
This is the first time I've actually learned something on /news/
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.