[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trolls increasingly use their real names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: 1250904609464.jpg (73KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1250904609464.jpg
73KB, 600x800px
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/online-abuse_trolls-increasingly-use-their-real-names/42327166

>Online bullies who post abusive comments or hate speech – so-called trolls – are increasingly using their own names, a study by the University of Zurich has revealed.

>Anonymity is generally believed to be a major barrier to identifying and tracking down trolls who post abusive online comments.

>However, a research project published on Monday by the University of Zurich has shown that trolls are increasingly using their full names online and that individuals posting hate speech were using their full names more often than anonymous trolls.

>The team studied over 500,000 socio-political comments made on 1,600 online petitions from the German platform www.openpetition.de between 2010 and 2013.

>Many online news and social media platforms are trying to prevent the use of hateful language in comments and posts, and there have been calls to encourage online debate by ending online anonymity.

>The University of Zurich researchers believe many online trolls don’t bother to remain anonymous as it boosts their credibility and popularity.

>They say many trolls justify their online protests as a moral duty and assume they will rarely be held accountable for their online comments. Trolls appear to mobilise other people in their social networks more easily if they use a real name, the researchers said in a statement.

>“Removing anonymity therefore will not automatically lead to a disappearance of online firestorms. In fact, it might even lead to an increase,” said sociology PhD student Lea Stahel.
>>
>>62792
other coverage:
https://scienceblog.com/486467/trolls-often-waive-anonymity-online/

http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/non-anonymous-online-trolls-on-the-rise-study-1436508

related:
http://www.scmagazineuk.com/proliferation-of-hacker-culture-helped-keep-anonymous-from-being-branded-terrorist-org/article/511671/
>>
Why is the world troll so abused nowadays?

A troll is someone whose goal is to get a rise out of people, make them angry, or otherwise cause trouble for their own amusement. If "hate speech" is employed, it's only because it's effective to that end. Someone interested in trolling /pol/ for example, would not find much success with that tactic.

Someone who earnestly believes controversial or offensive things and argues for them is not a fucking troll, no matter how much they hurt your feelings.
>>
>>62797
This

they changed the definition of "troll', this being a German platform it most likely covers anyone who shows dissidence to the current system.
>>
I've noticed this especially on youtube when google took over and made it possible to link your username with you email account name.

>>62797
True. It's more likely that all these "non-anonymous" trolls are just :alt-right or /pol/ types that don't give a shit. A lot of them are the same people who make whole youtube channels and twitter accounts about non p.c. shit like Milo.
>>
>>62797
Not disagreeing with you, but I've seen a number of people who force their shitty values into a conversation, and then backtrack by saying they were trolling. they still would stand by their views in a non-trolly situation.

It's like people in RO2 who love nazi germany, and then make fun of jews in all chat. Trolling and bigotry aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
>>62802
Well I only really half-believe in alt-right stuff.

I love my heritage and feel like the culture that founded America is allowing itself to rot away. I just want to live in a traditional Americana community but I'll sometimes go full retard 14/88 gas the kikes race war now to blow off steam and troll and keep away people whose views threaten my ideal community. Its kind of exaggerating my worldview for the sake of trolling people who don't really know me but people who do know me understand Its a weird kind of self-depreciating humor.

Most /pol/ tier posting is like that. A small political and ideological minority who all share that personality type who does shit like that with the occasional pure troll and actual stormfronter thrown in.
>>
>>62797
It's a way for libshits to continue living in their bubble.
>People can't possibly have an opinion different to my own obviously correct opinion, they have to be troll
>>
>>62906
What is it that makes you think it's a partisan issue?
>>
>>62802
As a jew myself, you sound like a whiney bitch calling people making jokes bigots.

Gimme yo shekels, goy.
>>
>>62908
As >>62817 said, letting off steam and making jokes is okay. But you're assuming everyone who espouses those views is genuinely trolling, which is certainly the case. Stormfronters and diehard altright exist in the same universe as us, so it's not unreasonable to see them in the wild, so to speak.

I'd say for every 4-5 guys trolling, at least one guy believes that shit to his core.
>>
Maybe the people they are labeling "trolls" are just people who are giving opinions that offend sjws and politically correct losers.
>>
>>62918
Thanks Captain Obvious.
>>
>>62792
>They say many trolls justify their online protests as a moral duty and assume they will rarely be held accountable for their online comments.
Did it occur to the people researching this that these are the peoples genuine opinions? As it is it just sounds like some thing skinned leftist can't comprehend a person holding an opinion that isn't in line with their own.
>>
>>62944
Right or wrong, I don't understand why you think it's a "leftist" idea. Don't you think conservatives do it just as much?
>>
>>62949
I don't think I've ever seen right wingers accuse liberals of trolling merely for expressing left wing views.
>>
>>62993
look at the replies for any Donald Trump tweet to find some
>>
>>62999
Also daily show posts, cnn/fox, pretty much any mainstream political discussion box
>>
>>62792
>so-called trolls – are increasingly using their own names
i doubt it.
its more likely that what is considered trolling is growing.
like disagreeing with leftists, casual insults, or whatever.
>>
>>62797
People have said it before, but the main cause of the bastardization that the word is used for these days is due to people being trolled. People who got trolled didn't understand really any of it and as such went for the low hanging fruit because they are incapable of putting any thought into something so simple. So it went from elaborated ruses to saying mean things.
>>
It's easier to hit the same target repeatedly if he is wearing a special snowflake.
I will argue anonymity largely protects others from invasive and repeat harassment, because you're fucking anonymous.
>>
>>62797
Agreed.

Troll is just one of many buzzwords in clickbait journalists' arsenals now. The word is losing all meaning at this point.

>Someone said something I don't like but I don't have a good enough word to explain their position on this marginally relevant topical news story
>Must be trolls
>>
>>63065
Problem is that people who should be anonymous don't always use it, and people who are anonymous aren't always protected from psychos who gather info. A single comment probably won't give you away, but when someone looks at a hundred or more, you can extrapolate more info from that unless the anon only does shitposts.

Also see the streaming scene. That desperately needs anonymity to be the norm, and I was kinda hoping facerig would catch on to help with that.
>>
>Many online news and social media platforms are trying to prevent the use of hateful language in comments and posts, and there have been calls to encourage online debate by ending online anonymity

So.... They're doing absolutely nothing?
Do they have a plan to do anything?
Isn't it bad enough that people are serving prison time for "hate speech", i.e. a few drunken racist comments at 4 am
Isn't free speech an important part of all western philosophy? The ability to criticize any view or idea without fear of being jailed. And now they're saying "let's take away anonymity"
I'm a leftist, but this whole attitude of "no dissent allowed" among leftists is really scary and fascist
Like, yeah, I might not like it when someone tells me to kill myself on the internet, but does it really matter? Like, who really cares, it's not like they're giving me a loaded gun and telling me to blow my brains out, it's just a comment on the internet

Maybe it's because all these normies (I think it's not just leftists) are paying more attention to the internet and are taking it oddly seriously. Like, have you noticed the increase in media coverage of dumb internet things in the past few years? It's not exactly taking the spotlight but it seems like the common attitude about the internet is going from "who the fuck cares" to "mommy the meanie racist on redneck said racist things about muslims that triggered me as a white atheist female, let's get him arrested"
Like, does nobody see how utterly toxic that is? That you can have real world, serious consequences for some stupid shit you said on the internet that you probably forgot about 35 minutes later. And all these torrent sites being taken down, and all this regulation over what can and can't be allowed
It's like the mainstream consciousness is treating the internet like srs business, and since they never spent time on places like 4chan they don't know how to handle getting their feelings hurt or otherwise disagreed with
>>
>>62792
seems people don't give a shit anymore "Yea, I said that, so what? Wach'a gonna do about it?" kind'a thing.
>>
>>62797

The article doesn't necessarily extend itself to cover all instances of hateful language, be it blatant trolling or someone having a genuinely bigoted viewpoint. That's only your assumption, which you're using to spin this into a PC issue when it's not.

I couldn't care less what privately owned sites do either way. Their prerogative. If you take an issue with that, then be a responsible consumer and stop using sites whose policies you disagree with. Whining about some PC boogeyman just makes you sound like a butthurt /pol/fag.
>>
Trolling is a art.
>>
>>63196
Whining about /pol/ just makes you seem like a rectum ravaged r*dditor.
>>
>>63196
>People will fall for this bait
>>
>>62817
There never were "traditional" communities like that. You're buying into the old Norman Rockwell bullshit.

Coca Cola invented Christmas as we know it, too.

America has always been a shitstorm of immigrants. Some of them have always considered themselves better than others.

Culture is an illusion. You live in a community, not a culture. People make communities.

We live in a country made up of states which are each the size of most countries on Earth. Go figure, there isn't a frickin common culture among them--other than the bullshit started with Manifest Destiny and culminating in the Cold War.

It's just business. Cattle prods. Nothing conspiracy-theory about it, either, because it's been done with utter transparency from the start.

Grow a pair and accept that the world isn't as you'd like it.
>>
>>63574
Lay off the weed, faggot.
>>
>>63154
well I've been banned 5 times for saying trollish things on FB, the latest one was for 30 days, I still have 15 to go. I generalized muslims as pedos and got a 30 day ban, I regret nothing.
>>
>>63635
Where was the troll part in saying muslims worship a child fucker?
>>
>>63574
Yeah Americana never was the norm. That lifestyle was pretty much "AMERICA IS GOOD" propaganda, much like how people said it was a land of opportunity or the streets were paved with gold. It's just a trick to pull in poor or stupid people who think they'll be able to achieve something like that.
>>
>>63650
Thank you
>>63593
Fuck you
>>
>>63637
Children need love too, you insufferable normalcunt. Fuck off.
>>
>>62792
>"according to our german study, people with dissenting political opinions in germany used their real name more often than not"

What is this click bait shit?
>>
>>64245
It's a swiss study and reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.