[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roach milk proteins fantastic food supplement Indians discover

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 1445981993544.jpg (524KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1445981993544.jpg
524KB, 2000x1333px
The sight of cockroaches may evoke disgust but they can be a boon for human health, said a team of scientists who have shown that milk protein crystals found in roaches can serve as a "fantastic" protein supplement.
The team of scientists, including those from the Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine (inStem) in Bengaluru, has recently unravelled the structure of milk proteins crystals in the guts of a roach species called Diploptera punctata, the only known viviparous cockroach (which gives birth to live young).
A single crystal is estimated to contain more than three times the energy of an equivalent mass of dairy (buffalo) milk, according to the study by inStem's Ramaswamy group.
"The crystals are like a complete food -- they have proteins, fats and sugars. If you look into the protein sequences, they have all the essential amino acids," said Sanchari Banerjee, one of the main authors of the paper published in July in the journal from the International Union of Crystallography.
Now, armed with the gene sequences for these milk proteins, Ramaswamy and colleagues plan to use a yeast system to produce these crystals en masse.
"They're very stable. They can be a fantastic protein supplement," said Ramaswamy.
Furthermore, their crystalline nature offers a unique advantage. As the protein in the solution is used up, by being digested, the crystal releases protein at an equivalent rate.
"It's time-released food," explained Ramaswamy, adding "if you need food that is calorifically high, that is time released and food that is complete. This is it".
Besides their utility as supplemental food, the scaffolding in the protein crystals exhibit characteristics that could be used to design nanoparticles for drug delivery.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/Roach-milk-proteins-fantastic-food-supplement/articleshow/53268325.cms
>>
DESIGNATED
>>
oh, how wonderful
>>
>>62681
This seems like a reddit post. I can tell you are a boring person who works in an office. Please leave 4chan.
>>
Fucking India. You're like a stooge on the world stage. Even your scientific victories are laughable.
Actually though, think of what this could do for the food shortage in the world. Roaches are fucking everywhere, and they're hiding a treasure trove of nutrition? All we have to do is keep the secret hidden to prevent a "Soylent Brown is Roaches!" scenario.
>>62683
His post was actually on topic. I think you need to leave for a bit, hombre.
>>
>>62676
I read something on a conspiracy thread about how in the coming years governments will start using bugs as food and would make it sound as if it's healthier and rise the price on real meat to the point normal people won't be able to afford it
>>
>>62707
Native peoples all over the world eat bugs insects and things like snails.
>>
>>62676

vegan here. anybody wish to join me?
>>
>What's in the train's protein bars?
>>
>>62714
Fuck you G-man you ain't gonna get me to eat bugs
>>
Bugs are pretty amazing for protein. The problem is that you have to eat a lot to match the intake of a steak. Doesn't help that they are difficult to keep, cook, or prepare.
>>
>>62707
Why would the price rise to compete? If bugs were competing with meat, then meat would have to lower in price to match demand.
>>
>>62756
They're also very good for the environment, you need less land to raise a shit ton of insects than raising cattle or chickens for the same amount of protein.
>>
>>62757
I think he means that the demand would go down and eventually they'd stop producing supply. Then it becomes a luxury good with only a few artisan suppliers.
It's also a stupid conspiracy theory.
>>
I really doubt that Anzu titties can feed humanity.
>>
>>62676
I always knew there were added benefits to marrying a Turkish woman.
>>
>>62785
>>62757
expect a high tax on red meat in the future, partly because "muh methane emissions" and partly because beef are resource heavy and inefficient
>>
>>62849
>beef are resource heavy and inefficient

false:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151214130727.htm
>>
>>62862
lmao how much must a person love beef to have saved a link like that
>>
>>62862

Doesn't prove beef is not resource-heavy and inefficient. For one, the study's benchmark for efficient meat is chicken. Two, many many studies have shown that plant-based protein is more efficient when you look at those plants that are specifically *for protein/calories* (corn, wheat, and rice being the historical trifecta). This study looked at plants for supplemental nutrition and/or luxury that are relatively low on protein and calories, lettuce being a prime example (fibre and vitamins, but no calories).

It's not even comparing apples to oranges -- it's like comparing chicken feathers to cow's milk. It's important in that you can't just write off all veg as eco-friendly (almonds in California were a huge fucking problem in the drought), but otherwise the headline is misleading.
>>
>>62676
If roach milk is so nutritious then why are Turks all manlets?
>>
>>62872
Yeah but plant based protein generally means soy, which is loaded with oestrogen, something every man should definitely avoid.

For women you are right but for rany male that doesn't want to be weak an effeminate, you are wrong.
>>
>>62880
They don't consume enough of it. Just like some kids don't like their vegetables some Turks do not like their roach milk. Sad really.
>>
>>62676
finally, a use for t*rks.
>>
>>62676
this is actually pretty cool

wish more of this stuff was posted on /news/ instead of falseflagging bait
>>
>>62762
Yeah, you can even find them in your house!
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.