[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plans unveiled for the redesign of the NYC Subway

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: subway19n-1-web[1].jpg (157KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
subway19n-1-web[1].jpg
157KB, 1200x900px
http://archpaper.com/2016/07/mta-new-renderings-stations-subway-cars/

>On Monday Governor Cuomo unveiled designs for the renovation of 31 subway stations stations and hundreds of new subway cars. 1,025 cars will sport new features, inside and out, while 750 new cars will be “Open Car End” designs, so passengers flow will be enhanced but there will be no more fleeing the dreaded stink car.

>“The MTA is the circulatory system for the metropolitan area. If you want to grow the metropolitan area, if you want to sustain the metropolitan area, the answer cannot be that people get in their cars and commute to work. That just does not work,” Cuomo said at a press conference. “The volume just cannot be handled by the current road transportation system. The MTA is going to have to increase their capacity to manage that higher volume.”

>For those anxious that the MTA may draw on the vast reservoir of design talent in the city, worry not. The new stations and cars look sleek, but not radically so. The open-tube designs are intended to reduce crowding by more evenly distributing the number of passengers on the train while wider doors will speed up entry and exit time by one third. In addition to wi-fi and USB charging ports at stations and in cars, security is paramount: The governor highlighted the presence of surveillance cameras on platforms and inside trains.
>>
Lol europe has much beyter and modern subways than the U.S!
>>
>>61294
better*
>>
>>61294
But that's true. Many European countries already have these "improvement".
>>
Folding seats? Every car in every city should have had that 20 years ago -- gets more in for rush hour and ball games way more easily. (It's not just about the 2-3 more skinny people who can stand where the seat was, but more that the aisles can squeeze and spread faster when people are getting on and off trying to get to the door.)
>>
How about not relying on your government for transportation?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but subways are unsafe. I've seen many videos of the shit that happens on them.

Before you tell me that you have no choice, why the fuck would you choose to live in the hellhole that is NY? Strict laws, abundant crime, disgusting streets, too many bodies. Pure garbage.
>>
>>61263
that image reminds me of utahs UTA TRAX system. which is quite good if underused.

this is good news. public transportation is important for a large and/or growing city and new work is both. im glad theyre gonna focus on that for a bit.

>>61377
its a pretty basic idea that people didnt implement until regulations started enforcing handicap accesability.

>>61389
the roads cant handle all the people that are in the city, fuck the sidewalks can barely handle it in some areas. if everyone had a car the citys pollution and commute time would skyrocket. public transportation is important to a city because it can move VOLUMES more people with much less energy and cost. on top of the fact that it aids tourism and a sense of community.

>why the fuck would you choose to live in the hellhole that is NY?
there is a lot of moneu to be made in new york. business is largely done in that city as well as it already has a huge number of people and populations tend to grow more that shrink. its too much effort.to make affordable places to.work and live that are low density and large cities is just the nature of humanity.
>>
>>61263
Wish that they just get rid of all of the seats except for the handicap. Too many times I see lazy people fighting to get to a seat first only to get off two stops later.
>>
>usb ports all plugged with gum and semen within a day
>>
>>61389
I bet you live in a flyover.
>>
>>61389

amazing bait but I'll bite.

Why use public transit?
1) Cost. In NYC an unlimited transit card for a month costs $116.50 or about $1,400 per year. Opposed to car, which according to AAA costs $725 a month or about $9,000 per year.
http://newsroom.aaa.com/2015/04/annual-cost-operate-vehicle-falls-8698-finds-aaa-archive/
2) Public transit is a decent sized employer with 400,000 employees. It is always nice to support American workers.
3) Less personal cars on the road = less reliant on foreign oil.
4) Safety. In 2014 Cars and light trucks accounted for 60% of all transportation deaths. Bus and rail deaths accounted for .2% of all transportation deaths. It seems you are quite a bit safer on the bus or in a train that in a personal vehicle.
http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/national_transportation_statistics/html/table_02_04.html

In relation to crime on the NYC subway, there is 0.6 crimes per 100,000 trips. It is pretty damn safe.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/daily-news-analysis-reveals-crime-rankings-city-subway-system-article-1.1836918

5) Free time. I can read a book, play a cell phone game, watch tv, or zone out rather than stress out about what the dickhead in the car next to me is going to do.

Public transit isn't perfect. In shit tier cities it is slow and a bit difficult to use, but--in my experience-- it also costs less in shit tier cities.
>>
>>61633
9/10 post anon. a bit autistic but i totally agree.
>>
>>61263
>Americunts just now getting basic public transport features Europe has had for years

What a fucking joke that place is. Maybe you should stop wasting all your budget on a useless military, and actually try getting your public infrastructure out of the 18th century.
>>
are there any features to stop manspreading?
>>
>>61642
>basic public transport features
such as? please you glorious euopean holy man teach us fat losers with guns
>>
>>61294
>smaller, but still productive countries are able to roll out vast improvements to public transit - faster than the larger and still somewhat rural US.

color me shocked
>>
>>61389
You are wrong.
Enjoy spending hundreds of dollars and hours on city commutes then.
>>
plugging anything into that usb socket,

it's like you want them to read entire hard drive
>>
>>61676

this.

its like plugging into a usb socket or connecting to the internet at the airport. it might be convenient but its a bad idea unless you want all your info stored on a data base somewhere.
>>
>>61676
Roll your own USB cable that only has the two power pins
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.