[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NY repeals sales tax on tampons, feminine hygine products

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: tampon-tax[1].jpg (156KB, 1200x851px) Image search: [Google]
tampon-tax[1].jpg
156KB, 1200x851px
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/gov-cuomo-signs-bill-repealing-sales-tax-tampons-article-1.2720782

> ALBANY — Sales taxes on tampons and other feminine hygiene products will disappear Sept. 1 under legislation signed Thursday by Gov. Cuomo.

>"This is a regressive tax on essential products that women have had to pay for far too long and lifting it is a matter of social and economic justice," Cuomo said after signing the bill that makes New York the 11th state to take such action.

>The legislation, sponsored by Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal (D-Manhattan) and Sen. Sue Serino (R-Dutchess County), was approved by the Senate and Assembly in May.

>Among other bills signed by Cuomo was legislation allowing young hunters to wear fluorescent pink instead of orange; and a measure allowing funeral homes to serve food and non-alcoholic beverages to mourners.
>>
>a matter of social and economic justice

how?
>>
>>61128
tampons or maxi pads are a necessity like food and should be taxed like food
>>
>>61129
More of a medical or safty supply than anything. Do you really want that blood getting everywhere?
>>
>>61132
its not actually blood though
>>
>>61129
Literally everything except food is taxed by me. Toilet paper, medicine, etc all have sales tax. What is it in NY?
>>
Food, basic medicines and other essentials really shouldn't be taxed to begin with. Some states have already dropped food taxes and this hasn't had any negative impact on their respective economics, so I'm not sure why other states aren't following suite.

I do think taxing alcohol and junk food is perfectly reasonable though.
>>
>>61126
leslie jones needs three at a time.
>>
>>61433
true but for her its every 30 days instead of 28
>>
>>61238
This. You can't drop taxes on women's products without extending it to shit like toilet paper, and perhaps even men's products. What about soap and razors? You won't get very far in life without those. Where is the line?
>>
>>61557
Soap, shampoo, dental products and condoms should all be exempt from sales tax
>>
>>61557
>Where is the line?
when it stops helping women.
>>
>>61566
I'm pretty sure women wipe their asses too.
>>
>>61562
>condoms

Those are already exempt as "health products" in most states. That was one of the big reasons for pushing to make fem hygiene products tax-exempt.
>>
>>61126

things that are also tax free in NY:

gift shop purchases at veterans homes
textbooks (for enrolled students)
coin-op car wash services
medical alarm call services
Veterinary services
some ferry boats
certain tools for gas and oil production
wine (for wine tastings only)
some horse training services
precious metals sold for investments
used mobile homes
things sold at a garage sale
us and ny state flags
some manufacturing equip
sales by funeral homes
newspapers
certain amusement park admission fees
tractors, trailers, and semi-trailers

plenty of things don't get taxed in NY. I can't really say I'm that worried about a tax on tampons. It seems like pandering to female voters, but it makes more "common sense" than tax free horse training services or tax free amusement park tickets.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/quick_reference_guide_for_taxable_and_exempt_property_and_services.htm
>>
>>61641
Well seeing as most of those items are very specific and/or aren't taxed in most states, I'd say not bringing in taxes on such common used products is some serious pandering toward females.
>>
Is there any data pointing out that the tax revenue was minimal enough to drop entirely? I don't really mind, as feminine hygiene needs to be vastly improved in my state. I did maintenance work during college and female bathrooms were always revolting.
>>
>>61656

Thinking about this a bit more, I've decided it isn't an issue I really care about. There are other goods and serviced that I believe should be taxed in NY that are a lot more important (horse training, wine tasting wine, coin car wash, etc.).

However, why the NY legislature has decided to become the 6th state (with a state tax) not tax tampons would be interesting to know and would make the difference in whether I support the change or not. So the outcome doesn't mean shit to me here, but the why is important.

If tampons are classified as medical devices, good, ok, don't tax them. One could certainly argue that tampons are an important medical device. I'd agree with that. If this was a measure that simply re-classified tampons as medical devices that is fine by me. I have no problem with medical devices not being taxed.

However, if tampons are classified in the same category as razors, toilet paper, etc., it should probably be taxed. NY doesn't offer exemptions for all necessities, it shouldn't offer them for one necessity.

That being said, I don't really give a fuck. It seems like a minor thing to complain about.
>>
>>61557
Those should all not have sales tax.

This was probably passed first because getting blood on everything is more of a health hazard than a man's untrimmed beard [that doesn't need a mask in work], and are way more expensive than any of these products by volume.

Honestly there should be more of a movement to encourage women to switch to cups. It will save the first world countries' plumbing as well.
>>
>>61126
Governmant cunt pandering, as usual.
>>
>>61557

Everyone uses toilet paper. Only women use tampons, so taxing them puts women at a disadvantage.
>>
>>61682
>encourage women to switch to cups
This. And bidets too.
>>
>>61641
>pandering to women
>pandering

There's that word again.

Exactly who is pandering? This isn't a single political action that's going to benefit any specific politician or party. There's literally nothing for the state to gain from this. It's just a common sense measure.

A number of health products (including condoms in some states) are already tax-free. Just because this one happens to benefit women, suddenly the evil feminist boogeyman is rearing its head again?
>>
>>61126
tampons and pads are not essential
>>
>>61129
women can live without tampons or pads, they cant live without food
>>
>>61736
They aren't essential, but it's difficult to hold a job while bleeding all over yourself. Not to mention that pads and tampons already pretty expensive as is.
>>
>>61708
Shit bait.
>>
>>61743
Tampons and pads weren't even a thing until the 70s. Women managed fine with rags and toilet paper
>>
>>61859
Women were forced to remain at home mostly prior to then. Therefore they didn't have to bother strangers with blood leaking on their seats and down their legs. Menstruation is actually an extreme issue in history for women, and for those that lived in third world countries.

>inb4 it should have stayed that way, you fucking towelhead.
>>
>>61918
But as I mentioned way before, give every woman a good quality cup after her first period and this would be a non-issue. Also beneficial to her health, little to no chance of Toxic Shock Syndrome.
>>
>>61859
>>61918
>>61919
>>61743

I'm glad the discussion has moved off into the land of made up "common sense" and off topic arguments.

Tampax arrived on shelves in the mid-1930s and menstrual pads existed well before this. DIY "tampons" existed for quite sometime as well. (Who would have ever thought a string and something absorbent would have been thought up before 1970.)
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/06/history-of-the-tampon/394334/

>>61919
>force all women to use a product of my choosing
That sounds like a great plan that emphasizes freedom of choice over personal issues.

If it is designated a medical device it shouldn't be taxed. We could argue what other household objects should be un-taxed medical devices as well (floss? toothpaste?), but crying about tax free tampons is pretty dumb, especially when anons decide to make up "facts."
>>
>>61919

Options exist for a reason. Menstrual cups are great, but they're not the best option for everyone, and it's not reasonable to place obstacles in front of other menstrual devices when they should all be tax-free as medical devices.
I do think more environmentally friendly options should be given a signal boost at the very least (like cups and washable pads), but placing an irrelevant tax on certain products is not the answer. It's like trying to get people to eat healthy by making them take a physics quiz before they're allowed to order at McDonald's.
>>
>>61859
anon, that shit is nasty as fuck, just let them have the damn tampons.
>>
>>61641
What part of politics isn't pandering?
>>
>>61641
>precious metals sold for investments
that's _ew York alright!
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.