[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scientists predict academic achievement from DNA alone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

Another new study has linked intelligence to genetics.

This one looks at the effect of 20,000 different variations in the genome, and finds them to contribute 10% to the child's overall academic success vs other children.
This is the strongest prediction from DNA of a behavioral measure to date.

>https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160719091622.htm

>Professor Robert Plomin, senior author of the study, also from the MRC SGDP Centre at King's College London, added: 'We are at a tipping point for predicting individuals' educational strengths and weaknesses from their DNA.

Personally I would hate that. I would hate to be told that I have the stupid gene, as it would come to be called. I'd rather not know.
>>
Time and effort trumps natural genius anyway. For the most part it's being able to really focus on the things you are doing, which can be learned as a skill.
>>
Is academic performance not quite weakly linked to intelligence? Schools are mostly about rote learning anyway. This is why academic performance measures real world success poorly, because in the real world you have to actually think not just read something over and over a few times.
>>
>>60842

I never read over anything multiple times.

This helped academically and, at the time, socially, but was ultimately detrimental, because, as previous anon mentioned, time an effort (diligence) are the keys to success.
>>
>>60843
You're full of shit. If you went to school in any civilized country, you were gradually taught math, meaning you see the same thing over and over, but slightly harder. There is only one way to solve the problems, and if you cannot explain your answer, it's wrong.
>>
>>60840
I somewhat agree.
I've heard it said that higher IQ basically means picking up things more quickly. I hope that is the case.

>>60842
Rote learning is the best kind of learning. Deviations from it are normally just attempts to dumb down education.
>>
>>60840
THIS.
I was treated as super smart largely through my education. What this causes is a lack of effort. I was naturally good at things, it never occurred to me I could improve beyond until high school.
>>
>>60839

>Get told you have the stupid gene
>Refuse to accept it
>Work harder than anybody else to spite them
>Graduate top of your class

I am in what most people would consider a "smart" field in academics doing a PhD, and I found out recently that 90% of the people around me have something in common, we were all told in school that we'd never amount to anything and that we basically weren't very smart.
>>
>>60839
>Another new study has linked intelligence to genetics.
Ya don't say
>>
>>60839
>Personally I would hate that. I would hate to be told that I have the stupid gene, as it would come to be called. I'd rather not know.

Well we'd be able to cure/change it, if it wasn't for all the UR BLAYING GOD! :DDDD faggots, and the DAT IS UGEMIGS HIDLER USED UGEMIGS :DDD cunts. Luckily China was also hunting down the Intelligent Gene, and with their endless capacity for plagiarism and lack of any morality, we can see this research being used to make an army of supermen.

I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords. Also why the fuck can't I stop quoting people with a Spurdo Sparde filter? I can't help myself.
>>
>>60930
Schools now are a joke. There's just something inherently wrong with how they teach that because it's so rigid and regimented that anyone who doesn't fit the Grand Pattern of Academia is considered an idiot. Intelligence manifests in a variety of ways, schools only look for one.

Wouldn't be surprised if you and the people like you were always naturally clever, and the constant belittlement fortified that cleverness with a drive to excel beyond what you were told would be your "best". After all, a smart person will never be smarter if they stop improving.
>>
>>60839
they'll just tell kids that have the smart gene that they have it, avoiding telling the others that they have the stupid gene
>>
>>60930
funny, when I was a kid they told me I was smart and I stopped trying, it was until high school that I realized that the kids that werent smart were doing better than me
>>
Well, I'm dumb af, but still more successfull than the one's who were deemed smarter than me. I always busted my ass off until I became the best in everything
>>
>>60934
It sad that many people forget the USA participated in many eugenic programs as well. Some of them lasting well into the 70s, such as sterilizing mentally retarded patients or 'crazies'. Not only that, the programs back in the 20s and 30s were inspiration for some of the Nazis projects.
>>
>>60839
>told that I have the stupid gene

You moron, you don't have the smart gene. There is no stupid gene to have, only the lack of having the smart one. Nobody needs a genetic test to see your stupid.
>>
>>60939
>go to college
>meet students in school of education
>anyone who doesn't conform to and adopt rigid outdated teaching paradigms is literally drummed out of the school

That and all the kids who just wanted to drink going to gym teacher college for their associates were real eye openers.
>>
>>60869
>Math is seeing the same thing over and over
>There is only one way to solve the problems

You are the one who is full of shit.
>>
>>60904
I've noticed this seems to happen with a lot of people. A good chunk of uni drop-outs seem to struggle with school, not because they're stupid or lazy, but because highschool was so easy for them that concepts like studying and research were completely foreign.
>>
>>61079

My first paper frosh year in Anthropology 200 (2nd major; I AP'd out of all gen ed and 100-level classes) got a D because I figured I could do it in one draft like I did through all of high school. Learned quickly not to do that again. Did 5 drafts for the second paper and 4 for the term paper, got A's on both.

Still made dumb mistakes though. First college biology class was 300-level neurosci as a multidisciplinary. Didn't think I needed more than an hour to memorize shit (I was math/phys -- didn't think memorization would be a big part of the test anyway) for the midterm exam. D.

Grad CS course: fell asleep during the part of class where he tells us what parameter space we should use on our HW. C.

Mfw I'm still a genius. Oh shit, I forgot I can't post images. Also, why don't I have my PhD yet?
>>
http://images.slideplayer.com/25/7960703/slides/slide_2.jpg
>>
Not the smartest guy but I remember taking statistics in college, before they dumbed it down, made a 105 on my first test. Professor said no one ever gets all the extra credit he just puts it there so when he goes over the test the class can figure it out together.

I barely passed highschool math, but once I hit college it became easier. More time to devote to one class I guess. That and math in highschool was so easy I was making it hard.

I started slacking off mid way through the semester and ended up with a b. It was my last class before I graduated.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.