[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leaked FBI doc reveals secret policy of targeting journalists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 5775e11bc36188a8538b456c.jpg (158KB, 900x501px) Image search: [Google]
5775e11bc36188a8538b456c.jpg
158KB, 900x501px
>FBI documents sought after in Freedom of Information Act requests for the last year are now available, thanks to a leak to the Intercept. They lay out secret rules for collecting phone records of journalists, bypassing normal judicial processes.

>The documents, published Thursday, outline how FBI agents would utilize National Security Letters in obtaining journalists’ phone records. They date back to 2013, the same year the agency’s overseer, the US Department of Justice, amended its standards for subpoenaing for such records.

>However, the newly leaked papers are marked “last updated October 2011,” and they seem to conflict with DOJ policy as well as reveal information that many say never should have been secret in the first place.

>The FBI’s National Security Letters, or NSLs, are used like search warrants, but unlike a normal warrant, they are not signed off on by any judge or court. They are approved in-house without even a requirement to notify the target. For the purposes of these documents, that means not even the news organization employing the journalist would necessarily be informed. Furthermore, they nearly always come with some form of a gag order, preventing the target from talking about their NSL case.

>Getting an NSL authorized typically requires the signatures of the FBI’s general counsel and its National Security Branch’s executive assistant director as well as other chain of command OK’s following the agent making the request, the Intercept reported. That is, as long as the NSL is deemed “relevant” to an investigation pertaining to national security.

https://www.rt.com/usa/349081-leaked-fbi-doc-journalists/
>>
>>54808
journalistic integrity doesnt exist anymore. the press have failed the people. they can die in a fire for all i care
>>
>>54810
This guy speaks truths
>>
>>54810
eh, you are mostly not wrong, but good journalism does exist outside of the corporate world.
>>
FBI is increasingly less and less appreciably distinguishable from the old KGB.
Seriously, there's getting to be more reason to fear overreaching Federal surveillance and control than there is to fear terrorist acts on US soil.
>>
>>54853
>there's getting to be more reason to fear overreaching Federal surveillance and control than there is to fear terrorist acts on US soil.

its funny because the fbi says the same thing about us citizens.

personally i wouldn't compare the threat of foreign terrorism to the possibility of domestic terrorism. it cheapens the fact that there are foreign threats to our sovereignty, and normalizes suspicion amongst the actual sons and daughters of the republic. it blurs the lines. i prefer it stay simple, us vs them.
>>
>>54846
Where? Last time I checked, all the news is click bait. Only breaking news is actually useful, but you have to wait a week until all the facts are known.

In my experience, journalists usually aren't about the truth, they usually have an angle to work. They want to show some part of the news, but only the part that generates eyeballs.
>>
>>54853
FBI is Domestic Intelligence.

Only normies think they solve bank robberies and shit like that.
>>
>>54936
4chan was right again.
>>
>>54936
FBI does a god job.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegals_Program
and http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/31/nation/la-na-russian-spies-20111101
>>
>>54810
Kill yourself.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.