[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

27% of Office Workers Would Sell Work Passwords (and other stats)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/20-of-employees-are-willing-to-sell-their-work-email-passwords-2016-03-22

>One in five employees say they’d be willing to sell their work-related passwords, according to a survey of 1,000 office workers at private organizations released Monday by SailPoint, an Austin-based security company.

>Of the people who said they’d be willing to sell their passwords, 44% said they would fork over the credentials for less than $1,000. That’s just 88 of the 1,000 employees surveyed, or 8.8%, but the figure is still one that shows humans are the weakest link when it comes to security, says SailPoint President Kevin Cunningham.

>The survey also found 65% of workers say they use a single password across their accounts.

>"People know it’s not good. Like smoking, they know it’s not good for you, but they do it. They know it’s not good to speed, but they do it,” Cunningham says, comparing it to other bad habits. “I think we’re seeing a big lag between awareness and implementation of good practices.”

>About 45% of the workers surveyed came from companies with 10,000 or more workers; 25% were from companies with 5,000 to 9,999 employees and 30% belonged to organizations with 1,000 to 4,999 staffers.

>Some people would take an even smaller award. ProPublica reported in 2014 that 380 New Yorkers gave up their fingerprints and portions of their Social Security numbers in exchange for a cookie.

>Many employees already unwittingly give up their company’s credentials. Breaches often begin with a phishing attack, through which an attacker obtains an employee’s credentials to gain access to a network. The Department of Justice charged a Pennsylvania man last week with hacking more than 100 Apple AAPL, -0.43% and Google GOOG, -0.37% accounts, mostly of celebrities. His attack strategy? He sent them emails that appeared to be from those companies and convinced them to click on fake login pages he emailed them to steal their usernames and passwords.
>>
Here's related coverage with a link to the actual survey:
http://www.csoonline.com/article/3046117/security-awareness/27-of-us-office-workers-would-sell-their-passwords.html
>>
That seems pretty low to me.
It's guaranteed money in an age of globalism, poetically represented by the Indian writer of this article.
>>
>>33949
>>>Some people would take an even smaller award. ProPublica reported in 2014 that 380 New Yorkers gave up their fingerprints and portions of their Social Security numbers in exchange for a cookie.
my sides
Why make laws against this shit? If you're of able mind and do dumb shit then you deserve the consequences. Make laws making it illegal only to do such things against children and the simple minded and the elderly.
>>
Hillary sollte darüber nachdenken, wer uns die refugees beschert hat. Das war die amerikanische Politik, die dachte, dass man jedem Urwald-Staat in die Demokratie hieven kann. In Europa brauchte es 500 Jahre vom Mittelalter bis zur Demokratie. Meine Meinung: Einen Zaun um diese Länder und nach 500 Jahren nachsehen, was daraus geworden ist!!
>>
That's interesting. There was that study a while back that found nearly 80% of people would give away their passwords for a chocolate bar[1]. I guess I'd attribute the difference to 1) mildly increased security awareness 2) context being as an employee vs your own stuff and 3) the suspicious nature of someone offering you money vs something "harmless" like candy.

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3639679.stm
>>
>company doesn't care about employees
>employees don't care about the company
What a shock.
>>
>>33949
Who's buying this info? What for?
>>
This is it. Get into Microsoft and bring back tay. Or something. There are millions of corporate shekels somewhat easily available if you're willing to dirty your hands.
>>
>>34026
It could be literally anybody, from your corporate competitor to The Chinese.
>>
>>34019
This. In other news, water is wet, the sky is blue, saging for not actually contributing to thread on my part.
>>
>>34026
you're the same kind of moron who thinks his personal information is secure just because the site you entered it into is reputable and promises not to sell it

newsflash, your SSN and CC# is already available for purchase on the internet probably in multiple databases. You know how much your info is worth? 5-15 bucks for your credit card, and 3-10 for your SSN, cheaper if bought in bulk (which it is).

The people who get your info get it in such large quantities that they make mad bank selling it for those low prices in bulk to resellers then the resellers sell them to fraudsters who get free stuff and free money.
>>
>>34026
>give disgruntled employee of some big company a candy bar
>he gives you his passwords/access codes
>use it to get a hold of a client/employee database that has sensitive information like credit card numbers or medical records
>sell database
it's fairly straightforward
>>
>>34177

You don't need the candy bar.
http://www.cnet.com/news/social-engineering-101-mitnick-and-other-hackers-show-how-its-done/
>>
like any corporation deserves loyalty from it's peons, they'd fuck over hundreds just so some CEO shit bar could get a nicer office, I say its every employee's duty to fuck over their company for their own benefit
>>
What kind of moron would be loyal to a company when they are never ever loyal to the employees? Idiocy.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.