[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Samaritan Hacks iPhone for Justice Dpt.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: everything is crazy.jpg (95KB, 383x480px) Image search: [Google]
everything is crazy.jpg
95KB, 383x480px
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/technology/apple-fbi-hearing-unlock-iphone.html?_r=0

Apple's assistance is no longer necessary according to FBI and Justice Dpt.
>>
>>31285

>“This could render the whole dispute moot,” Joseph DeMarco, a former federal prosecutor who filed a brief on behalf of law enforcement groups that supported the Justice Department in this case, said of the new filing. “The issue at hand is whether the government can use the All Writs Act to force an unwilling third party, Apple, to create a back door. But if it can find a willing third party to break into the phone, then the All Writs Act argument is moot.”

>The Justice Department’s move is unlikely to end the debate over privacy, security and access to digital data, said Alex Abdo, a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union, an advocacy group.

>“This will only delay an inevitable fight over whether the government can force Apple to break the security of its devices,” he said
>>
>>31285
i hope they share his dick pics
>>
Is it ethical and safe to "compromise the phone's operating system" and Apple's intellectual property for the sake of "stopping terrorism"? Something less than terrorism?
>>
>>31291
I think what happened is that the FBI lost the passcode that they had for the phone and once they went over the attempt limit they started asking Apple for a backdoor around it.
I'm not fan of Apple and their garbage OS, but the feds are being retarded. There are other ways of accessing that data that don't involve needing a backdoor.
>>
>>31285
Wonder if it was John McAfee as he was saying he would do it for them a little while back.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35611763
>>
>>31295
>I think what happened is that the FBI lost the passcode that they had for the phone and once they went over the attempt limit they started asking Apple for a backdoor around it.

This is what I understand to have happened as well.

Some guy was on Charlie Rose about a week ago saying a case to compel Apple to unlock each, individual phone should go all the way to the SCOTUS.

Apple's resistance could have been a marketing coup or for the principle of not assisting the US government, and the gov workaround would be a win-win.

But, I think it's more likely that Apple is sincere about not wanting to compromising their 10 billion +/year business or the principle of their all of their customers' privacy.

I hope they issue a statement and sue the gov for its hack in order to patch it out.

This is the wild west.
>>
>>31285
Hopefully the civil-liberties side gets a more favorable test case next time.
>>
>>31306
>the gov workaround would be a win-win
If there really is a workaround, then the customers' privacy (and Apple's 10 billion+) is already compromised.
>>
>>31319
Apple already blew it. They should've rigged their iphones to shred their keys whenever anyone tried to patch the kernel while it was locked. The fact that it would have been technologically possible for them to comply with the FBI's order shows that the encryption was basically worthless anyway.
>>
$10 says they just got the NSA to use their backdoor after they realized Apple wouldn't budge.
>>
>>31295
>I think what happened is that the FBI lost the passcode that they had for the phone and once they went over the attempt limit they started asking Apple for a backdoor around it.
They never had the passcode, but they have tools for bruteforcing that. The issue is that iOS allows users the options to have the phone erase the data stored on it if someone enters the wrong passcode more than 10 times.

They wanted Apple to provide them with a version of iOS that they could load on the phone that would ignore this limit, allowing them to safely attempt to bruteforce the pass. Since iOS requires a 6-digit passcode, there are only one million possible passcodes, which is trivial to bruteforce. Once that limit is removed, the FBI would have no trouble bruteforcing the passcode.

The issue is that if Apple begins providing a version of iOS with that disabled, the feature is entirely pointless and anyone will be able to get into any iphone.

>>31323
>Apple already blew it. They should've rigged their iphones to shred their keys whenever anyone tried to patch the kernel while it was locked.

Not possible. A team with the proper hardware background would be able to get around any potential way of doing this.

>The fact that it would have been technologically possible for them to comply with the FBI's order shows that the encryption was basically worthless anyway.
The encryption isn't the issue, although given the relatively small sample space for pins, it is basically worthless.

And the actual issue of the "delete after 10 failed pins" feature is equally worthless given a competent reverse engineer could disable it by changing one instruction, which is probably what happened here.
>>
>>31325
This.

NSA cracked that phone months ago.

Reminder that the terrorists shredded all their electronics just before their attack, apart from this workphone which they obviously didnt bother with because theres fucking nothing on it.

This was the best case for the feds to try and push their anti-encryption agenda and they failed (or maybe they just wanted to start the debate because they knew trump would support them eventually)
Now they're dropping it because they know they will only piss people off and they will get what they want eventually
>>
>>31295
Yea, they 'lost' the passcode and 'accidentally' went over the attempt limit. The NSA and shit hoards zero-days, they could of got in any time they wanted. They just wanted to set a legal precedent to allow them to do so. This was never about stopping terrorism and was always about idiots trying to push their anti-encryption agenda and make their spying of the public easier.

I bet the 'good samaritan' is just the NSA as well.
>>
>>31303
Somebody needs to ask him.
>>
The Feds never wanted the information. They wanted the precedent of using the All Writs Act to force a backdoor into iOS so they could force other tech companies into making backdoors in their software.

What sucked for them is that popular sentiment (as well as the legal case) turned against the Feds as people figured out that nobody can make a backdoor that just the Feds can use. That "BUT MUH TERRRORISM" argument is no longer holding the weight it used to.
>>
>>31334
i think we all need to be wary.
I doubt the people running that would just forget and move on, i feel like theyre more likely to wait until most people have forgotten and just get a law passed in relative secrecy.
>>31356
its probably John mcaffee he's been offering this entire time.
>http://nymag.com/following/2016/02/john-mcafee-says-he-can-crack-that-iphone.html
>>
>>31374
So now we manufacture another "terrorist attack" to bring us back to 11.
>>
>>31285
>good samaritan

paid hacker hacks iphone for fascistic regime

stay classy
>>
>>33023
or just rev up that islamophobia so much that people dont care about civil liberties as long as it gets those gosh darn turrurist mudslims out of muh country
>>
>>31285
If they go through a third party, couldn't Apple sue the FBI for tampering with their software?
>>
>>31377
Didn't Snowden link a blogpost that detailed a way to dodge the supposed problem as well a little while ago?
>>
>>33235
Yes, but it would be the DoJ to prosecute anyway. There's no incentive to prosecute even if Apple protested.
>>
>>33068

Slow your roll, hot topic. The term has a legal as well as an ethical connotation. An unwitting 'Good Samaritan,' for example, cannot be held legally responsible for giving CPR to someone when they're not aware of an advanced directive.

By definition this notional "paid hacker" would be a white-hat hacker, and the government he or she is assisting has no concept of ethnic nationalism, in spite of what Greenday would have you believe.
>>
>>33074
Hi leddit
>>
>>31289
and his wifes nudes
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.