[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DeVos announces review of Obama-era sexual assault guidance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: 08Devos-superJumbo.jpg (416KB, 2048x1479px) Image search: [Google]
08Devos-superJumbo.jpg
416KB, 2048x1479px
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/us/devos-campus-rape.html

ARLINGTON, Va. — Saying that the Obama administration’s approach to policing campus sexual assault had “failed too many students,” Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said on Thursday that her administration would rewrite the rules in an effort to protect both the victims of sexual assault and the accused.

Ms. DeVos did not say what changes she had in mind. But in a strongly worded speech, she made clear she believed that in an effort to protect victims, the previous administration had gone too far and forced colleges to adopt procedures that sometimes deprived accused students of their rights.

“Through intimidation and coercion, the failed system has clearly pushed schools to overreach,” she said in an address at George Mason University in suburban Arlington, Va. “With the heavy hand of Washington tipping the balance of her scale, the sad reality is that Lady Justice is not blind on campuses today.”

Advocates for assault victims reacted strongly and swiftly, as did Arne Duncan, who was education secretary during most of the Obama administration.

“This administration wants to take us back to the days when colleges swept sexual assault under the rug,” Mr. Duncan said in a statement. “Instead of building on important work to pursue justice, they are once again choosing politics over students, and students will pay the price.”
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

Universities Face Pressure to Hold the Line on Title IX FEB. 18, 2017
Campus Rape Policies Get a New Look as the Accused Get DeVos’s Ear JULY 12, 2017
Colleges Spending Millions to Deal With Sexual Misconduct Complaints MARCH 29, 2016

But Ms. DeVos’s remarks, delivered to a student chapter of the Federalist Society, an organization of conservative and libertarian lawyers, echoed complaints by conservatives and lawyers for accused students that colleges were punishing students unfairly.
>>
>>176110
I'm not going to deny that there are sexual assault and rape problems at colleges, but I'm glad that some of this stuff has rolled back. Someone paying thousands to go to school just to be thrown out by the school's "investigator" before being proven guilty does not seem right. Also I feel like what defines sexual assault gets looser all the time. Just the girl being drunk isn't consent? Like how does frat party sex even work anymore?
>>
>>176110
>“This administration wants to take us back to the days when colleges swept sexual assault under the rug,” Mr. Duncan said in a statement. “Instead of building on important work to pursue justice, they are once again choosing politics over students, and students will pay the price.”
You mean like the myriad of male students that had their lives ruined by false accusations and condemnation without proper trial? This whole system is complete and utter bullshit from top to bottom. What kind of insanity is it that mere accusations from members of one group towards members of another group suffice to completely ruin lifes without any kind of proper investigation, trial or repercussions for false accusations? Equality before the law my ass.
>>
>>176118
Fucking this
>>
>>176110
This might be the one good thing that comes out of the Trump administration. Fuck the Dear Colleague letter and fuck feminism, this has been a mess
>>
>>176110
>176110
I'm sure all the regressive leftists are going shit their gmo cotton panties about this. But Good, screaming rape shouldn't be enough to get someone in trouble.

Regret is a not Rape.
>>
>>176167
There has been plenty so far.
Paris Accord gone,
Daca gone,
Conservative justices
Less regulation.....

ect.
>>
>>176184
None of that turned out how you are portraying. The regulations exist so corporations can't rape you, that isn't a good thing. There was only one justice and that had more to do with McConnell holding up the nomination for 9 months than it did with Trump. Daca is being 'revisited' and every state with a democrat state government is still following the Paris accords.
>>
>>176167
This. I've spent the past 7 months bashing the Trump admin but it looks like he finally got something right. Kicking innocent men out of school without due process is wrong no matter how you look at it

>>176184
>Having a president that doesn't believe in science is a good thing
>>
>>176399
science is not a religion, but a process. but dont tell the left that.
>>
>>176112
Getting a person blackout drunk and then fucking them without them giving consent is not consent. I don't see how you could confuse this?

Being drunk or having a few drinks is one thing. Being blackout to the point where you won't remember the night is another.
>>
>>176446
>Two adults are drunk at a party.
>They both give consent to have sex.
>They have sex.
>Only the man is accused of rape
>Neither remember the encounter

Yeah, I'm still confused about how this works legally. Let me put this another way.

>Two adults meet at a party, neither of them drink
>They both consent to have sex
>They have sober sex
>The man is black and therefore accused of rape

In both cases a similar amount of consent was given by both parties. In both cases only one party was accused due to how they were born. One of these cases is considered discriminatory and wrong, the other is standard practice.
>>
>>176112
>Like how does frat party sex even work anymore?

Same as always, one dude fucks another in the ass.
>>
>>176399
I must also give him credit for killing the TPP like the first week in office.
>>
>>176446

>Getting a person blackout drunk

You don't "get someone" blackout drunk, they get that way themselves. Unless you're literally shoving the alcohol down their throat, it's no fault of yours if somebody drinks excessively.

>It wasn't my fault I got in my car and ran over a kid, my friends were pressuring me into drinking too much

Fucking somebody who's unconscious is an obvious crime but if you're drunk you're still responsible for your actions. If you don't want to make mistakes, don't get drunk.
>>
>>176446
The point and problem of the situation is that those two circumstances are considered more similar to a lot of people than you give credit for. I doubt anyone here is advocating for the sexual assault on an unconscious body.
>>
>>176524
Most people advocate for rape, and even killing. You probably do too. Hypocrite!
>>
>>176527
Just because I like a little rape and execution doesn't mean the next guy should! I know I have a problem, I take my pills and everything!
>>
>>176410
And the scientific process says that global warming is real. But don't tell Trumptards that.
>>
>>176520
This is a good example. You can drink and drive and go to jail but if you get drunk, dance with a guy, bring him back, get in bed, and don't say no, then it's 100 percent his fault if he has sex with you?
>>
>>176601

Too bad for you that climate change does not follow the scientific process
>>
>>176737
Explain your reasoning, please. Don't just link to a video or someone's blog either, I want to hear your reasoning specifically.
>>
>>176449
I agree completely and with pretty much everyone else in this thread. To play devil's advocate, I think the thinking they have goes like this:

>Men are considered stronger than women, physically, in general
>Therefore in all physical and/or acts of violence, the men are assumed to have greater control over the situation due to having an upper hand physically
>Thus the men are expected to take more responsibility, because in this made up fantasy hypothetical they "have more control"
>Thus if 2 adults have sex, the man is more responsible for it than the woman

this is absolute fucking horseshit in practice, but it just occurred to me that that might be what they're thinking when they make those laws.
>>
>>176737
You're a fucking sheep and you have no clue what you're talking about
>>
>>176739
Not that person, but I wish I had that smuggle about how you have to prove your point but only in the smuggles context and to his goal posts.

>can't do it huh? I win again.

Anyway, that's you.
Kys
>>
>>176759
Smuggie, autocorrect is a bitch
>>
>>176737
>tfw too smart to understand science

>>176456
that's true too
>>
>>176453
underrated post
>>
>>176601
But it doesn't show MAN MADE global warming is real.
>>
>>176196
"Turned out"

It all happened decisively you idiot.
>>
>>176863
I just called the police and the phone is wringing

have a nice day asshole :)
>>
>>176399
>Having a president that doesn't believe in science is a good thing
Not buying un proven theory to destroy the economy is a good ting and no "anti-science"
IT's funny the way the left whines about science but ignores the gender and biology.
>>
>>176865
I see you deleted your post. I hope you know I was just kidding...
>>
>>176110

If you needed any more evidence that the average liberal is a fucking retard with a warped view of reality, just look at the reaction to this.

>"We should treat the accused as innocent until proven guilty"

>OMG WHAT THE FUCK SHE SUPPORTS RAPE CULTURE REEEEEE

Either the left will be cleansed from this planet like the cancer they are, or civilization will end.
>>
>>176896
Nazi!
>>
>>176899

Say that to my face and you'll lose your fucking teeth, you limp dick communist faggot.
>>
>>176901
I was just kidding around but now you really do sound like a Nazi. Calm down!
>>
>>176748
>Women are equal!
>Except when it would be disadvantageous for the woman!
Women are inferior when the belief of their inferiority is used to punish a man!
You're probably right. This is probably the thought process
>>
>>176896

Both sides are retarded in different ways

Centralist for life
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.