[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Something is changing the sex of Costa Rican crocodiles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/08/something-changing-sex-costa-rican-crocodiles

>If you want to know whether a crocodile is a male or a female, you have to catch it. Don't bring your good shoes.

>With the animal restrained, telling its sex is straightforward, says Murray, who is a physiological ecologist at Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville. "You have to put a finger in its cloaca," the cavity at the base of the tail. "If there's a structure there, it's a boy. If there isn't a structure, it's a girl." Catching baby crocs is easier, but sexing them is trickier, so the researchers bring the animals back to the park's research station. Both sexes sport a tiny, red nub in the cloaca, but in males it tends to be longer, redder, and more complex, with an extra lobe.

>After probing and peering at the genitalia of nearly 500 crocodiles in Palo Verde, Murray and his colleagues found something odd: The sex ratio was way out of whack, with males outnumbering females four to one among hatchling crocs. What's more, the animals' tissues were tainted with a synthetic steroid, which the researchers suspect was causing them to switch sex.

>The hormone, 17α-methyltestosterone (MT), is sometimes prescribed for men with testosterone deficiencies and older women with breast cancer.Fish farms around the park raise tilapia on food laced with the hormone, which transforms females into faster-growing and more profitable males. Murray and his colleagues are now investigating whether MT from the farms has somehow contaminated the crocs.

>The numbers are even more startling because a warming climate should be pushing croc sex ratios in the other direction. Unlike humans, crocodiles and alligators don't have sex chromosomes. Instead, whether an embryo becomes a male or a female depends on the nest temperature during incubation. Based on nest temperatures, that female hatchlings should outnumber males by nearly two to one.
>>
>>174112
>whether an embryo becomes a male or a female depends on the nest temperature during incubation
I knew this.

If I eat Costa Rican farmed fish do you think it will make me extra manly?
>>
Sounds like Hillary Clinton started campaigning in Costa Rica
>>
>>174112(OP)
I don't like them putting chemicals in the water turnin the frickin crocs gay
>>
>>174119
>If I eat Costa Rican farmed fish do you think it will make me extra manly?

If you want to be more manly stop eating estrogen (cow milk, female chickens, beef, eggs). These animals foods are loaded with estrogen and other hormones.

You can block estrogen by eating plant foods, like beans. These contain "phytoestrogens" which do not function as estrogen in our bodies, BUT they block estrogen receptors.

This is probably why vegans have more testosterone. Because vegans don't eat animal estrogen and they're blocking their own estrogen receptors.
>>
>>174119
>>174162

forgot the facts

https://nutritionfacts.org/2013/02/12/less-cancer-in-vegan-men-despite-more-testosterone/
>>
>>174112
Water is turning the freaking frogs gay
>>
>>174162
Soy increases estrogen you mong
>>
>>174177
You stole my comment faggot
>>
>>174188
Soy contains phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens to not act as estrogen in humans because we are not plants. However, phytoestrogens bind to our bodies estrogen receptors, which has the effect of blocking estrogen in our body. Because the estrogen receptor is blocked. By phytoestrogens.

If you're concerned about increasing estrogen, you should stop eating female bodies and their secretions.
>>
>>174162
Man the resident vegan shill is really grasping at straws now.
>>
>>174209
>>174162
>>174163
You are oversimplifying. There are 6 main classes of phytoestrogens, each containing multiple structurally different variants which have their own mechanism of action within the body. Add into this that many plants contain multiple different compounds and a balanced vegan diet will include a variety of plants and it becomes very complex. Here is a paper which reviews the effects of phytoestrogens on humans and highlights some of the conflicting results of past studies on this topic.

http://www.hormones.gr/183/article/article.html

>In conclusion, the so far known phytoestrogens and some of their human metabolites, produced either by enteric bacteria or hepatic enzymes, are selective estrogen receptor modulators, exhibiting variable potencies towards ERα-or ERβ-mediated responses, the ERβ-mediated activity preferentially induced. Finally, most phytoestrogens modulate many other signalling cascades in various cell types involving MAP kinase and NF-kapa B signalling pathways, AP-1-mediated signalling, cell cycle regulation, apoptosis and other nuclear receptor-mediated signalling.

>In view of the above data, care should be taken when defining the estrogenic/antiestrogenic of a compound. The intrinsic estrogenic status and the dose should be considered, especially in the context of using a compound to prevent symptoms associated with estrogen deficiency during menopause or to prevent hyperestrogenic effects in breast and endometrial cancer. Evidently, it is essential to assess the phytoestrogens’ effects at multiple levels, in vitro and in vivo, in order to obtain a full picture which may be relevant to different physiological or pathological states in humans (i.e. menopause, premenopause, breast cancer).
>>
>>174215
This doesn't refute anything I said. But it sounded smart.
>>
>>174211
I'm sorry if I offended you before. I was venting, but none of this is your fault.
>>
>>174218
You repeatedly claimed that phytoestrogens all behave the same, as estrogen receptor antagonists. The review shows this is not the case and that they can display wide ranging effects, both positive and negative, depending on what they are acting on in the body. They even state some can behave as estrogen receptor agonists.

>Flavonoids do not exhibit an estrogenic effect; however, the isoflavones (genistein, daidzein) and some flavones, flavanones and flavonols (apigenin, kaempferol and naringenin) activate estrogen-receptor-mediated signaling.

This is not even going into how the gut microflora, which varies from person to person and region to region, can alter the structure and release these chemicals into the body.

Your take is far too simplistic in a world that is far more nuanced then that.
>>
>>174162
That's what bodybuilding trains people to do. Eat less meat because vegetables have lots of protein!
>>
>>174227
You're just mentioning irrelevancies and repeatedly claiming "it's complicated."

What's your point? You got a problem with beans?

It is a fact that phytoestrogens in soy act as estrogen blockers. That's what I was referring to, for the guy who wants to be more manly. It's a simple fact. I am done arguing about science now.

evidence: https://youtu.be/AvSLeoUVb54
>>
>>174235
Please point out any irrelevencies. Everything I stated was to emphasize that this is a very complex issue that is still being researched from various angles. There are arguments on all sides about experimental conditions not properly mimicking real conditions of dietary consumption. The articles I linked both go into this, something you would know if you at least skimmed them.

>It is a fact that phytoestrogens in soy act as estrogen blockers

And once again, you are wrong. They can act as blockers, but they can also activate the pathway depending on the tissue. It is by no means a "simple fact."

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dietary-factors/phytochemicals/soy-isoflavones#estrogenic-anti-estrogenic-activities

>Soy isoflavones can preferentially bind to and transactivate estrogen receptor-β (ER-β)—rather than ER-α—mimicking the effects of estrogen in some tissues and antagonizing (blocking) the effects of estrogen in others.

>I am done arguing about science now

To claim that the science is settled by linking to blog posts and YouTube videos while choosing to ignore peer reviewed studies is ignorant at best and deceitful at worst. If you are unwilling to look into the primary literature and interpret the data yourself, then I am glad you are unwilling to argue science, because it honestly shames the field when you do.
>>
>>174163
>whole site is one doctor trying to sell his books
I tell you what's making me healthier it's how much my noggin is joggin after hearing this.
>>
>>174177
Looks like it is true
>>
>>174238
The profits go to charity :)
>>
>>174403
Is that the name of the yacht or the luxury whore he is buying?
>>
>>174156
Came here just to see this sort of post.
>>
>>174112
THEY'RE PUTTING CHEMICALS IN THE WATER THAT ARE MAKING THE CROCS GAY. FIRST THE FROGS AND NOW THE CROCS, ALL GAY. THE GAY PLAGUE IS SPREADING, PEPPER YER ANGUS.
>>
>>174201
If you were more clever, this guy wouldve stole your comment >>174156
this story is about crocs
>>
>>174461
"My mistake, I guess Dr. Greger is good."

Ftfy
>>
>>174162
What's wrong with consuming estrogen? I once ate some of the wife's birth control pills thinking they were Tic-Tacs. I didn't have to shave for a week. It was great.
>>
>>174690
It starts being an issue when youre infertile and growing hairy tits
>>
>>174690
>being this ignorant on purpose
>>
>>174690
It's especially a problem for women because it increases their risk for cancer.

After puberty excess growth hormone is putting you at greater cancer risk. That's why I encourage everyone to eat as little animal foods as possible (they increase IGF-1)
>>
>>174162
This isn't how it works. Your body has a limited number of hormone receptors and unless you have naturally low test or are eating a ridiculous amount of estrogen products they won't do anything to you. This is why trannies need to take testosterone blockers in addition to estrogen pills, and those pills are far more concentrated than anything you could get from food.

As far as I'm aware, there's only one recorded case of a man experiencing estrogenic effects from food, but he was elderly (and thus had naturally low T levels) and was eating an absurd amount of estrogen.
>>
>>174838
You can eat estrogen if you think it's safe, but I don't want any hormones my body didn't make.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.