[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UN issues rare warning over 'alarming' racism in US

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 0

After Trump's response to Charlottesville, UN says US leadership must 'unequivocally' condemn racist speech and crimes.

UN human rights experts have called on the United States and its leadership to "unequivocally and unconditionally" condemn racist speech and crimes, warning that a failure to do so could fuel further violent incidents.
THE LISTENING POST - Charlottesville, Trump and the media

The rare "early warning and urgent action" statement, which is reserved for serious situations, was issued by the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) on Wednesday.

It stopped short of criticising US President Donald Trump by name.

The US president has been under constant condemnation after he blamed "both sides" for violence that broke out at a rally, organised by neo-Nazis and white supremacists, in Charlottesville, Virginia earlier this month.

At the rally, 32-year-old Heather Heyer was killed after James Alex Fields, a man linked to white supremacists, rammed his car into a group of anti-racist protesters.

CERD said it was "disturbed by the failure at the highest political level" of the US to reject racist demonstrations.

That failure could lead to "fuelling the proliferation of racist discourse and incidents" in the United States, the statement said.

"We are alarmed by the racist demonstrations, with overtly racist slogans, chants and salutes by white nationalists, neo-Nazis, and the Ku Klux Klan, promoting white supremacy and inciting racial discrimination and hatred," Anastasia Crickley, who chairs the UN panel, added.

The UN experts said the alleged perpetrators of the violence should be prosecuted and, if convicted, punished with sanctions commensurate with the gravity of the crime.

continued on http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/issues-rare-warning-alarming-racism-170823225952827.html
>>
>>171163
sadly the one person who could affect the most change by openly condemning the violence won't comply with this request. it's too perfect how much it plays to Trump's base by having him metaphorically flip the bird to the UN, seen by many as a limp-wristed queer committee, and keep doing the things that generate controversial critical opinion of him. I think it's a little weird though, that the UN uses the term "highest political level". It's just Trump. literally everyone surrounding him who holds any direct sway on policy or plays an important role in decision making at the fed has come out strongly against the prejudice-fueled violence in Charlottesville. it's just him using ambiguous terminology, or plainly using bipartisan, sensationalist colloquialisms like "antifa", or reading a prepared statement one day and contradicting it with his unfiltered opinion the next.

the thing that really impresses me is Trump's absolute commitment to staying in character. he's a president that's only playing media games, not policy ones. for him it's about generating buzz and being the headline every day. even in the face of American citizens literally DYING as a result of how politically divided people have gotten he's unwilling to sanitize his shitstorm schtick. how funny it is to look back at his supporters' insistence that he'll "act more presidential" given time. fuck that, this man is scandal all day every day. I feel like listening to Prince's "Controversy" on repeat when I read the news
>>
>>171177
I don't know if I agree with he purposely meant to generate controversy with his charlottesville statements
>>
>>171177
>>171182
with the idea that he*
i'll just stfu, time to stop posting
>>
>>171163
>Saudi Arabia scolds US for racism
Thanks
>>
>>171182
>>171184
he said one thing, the media blew up, did the prepared statement which had a lukewarm if totally neutral media response, then doubled down on the statement that got the headline. seems pretty purposeful to me.

don't get me wrong, I don't think Trump's got some grand-master plan to manipulate the media and he's playing them for fools or something; but he's a TV personality. his trade is being a professional attention whore, and he's clearly practiced at gauging audience feedback to what he does and sticking to the moves that get people talking about him. on election night you could tell Trump had no fucking idea what his new job would entail, but so far it looks like he's settled on "let's see if acting like a reality TV star works". I just don't know how serious the consequences are gonna have to be before he faces the reality that he has a very complex and important job and that the vast majority of it has nothing to do with media presence the way his previous career did. God help him if a 9/11-esque national tragedy occurs, as his usual antics will undoubtedly cost him the oval office in pursuit of someone who can get shit done in a no-nonsense, policy-first way.
>>
>>171163
>UN condemns the US
>continued on http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/issues-rare-warning-alarming-racism-170823225952827.html
Color me shocked. Why haven't we gotten rid of that trash heap yet?
>>
>>171163
Fuck the UN. All they do is talk. Tell you what, when they pay all the back rent they owe maybe people will take them seriously. But after Rwanda, Sarajevo, and shitload of other places.. probably not.
>>
>>171188
But muh holidays! You can't just take away my World Day of Social Justice, Zero Discrimination Day, International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade, International Day of Reflection on the Genocide in Rwanda, International Migrants Day and especially not International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination!
(http://www.un.org/en/sections/observances/international-days/)
>>
You are fake news, watch his rally he recently held in Arizona to learn exactly what his views are and what they were before. They aren't any different, and that's good because they're good views. The entertainment news just skews reality to become more popular with hot topics and earn more cash.
>>
>>171195
>Reflection on the Genocide in Rwanda
What is there to reflect on? How crippling ineffective the UN was at preventing a genocide?
>>
>>171186
ok
tbh i haven't been following it too closely, so i have no counter to that
interesting take, thanks for sharing
>>
>>171163
> hillbilly runs over some people 8 months into Trump’s presidency

“Failure at the highest political level!”

> Blacks spend 8 years rioting and chimping out during Obama’s presidency

“Wonderful diversity!”
>>
>>171163
Reporting the media narrative.

You are made of fail.
>>
>>171301
Well you're comparing the crimes of an entire race to those committed during a single rally. If you take all right wing hate crimes, you're going to get more hillbillies chimping too.
>>
The UN needs to stay OUT of the US
>>
>>171402
'Crimes of an entire race" WTF, both my grandfathers and grandmothers were first generation Americans whose parents came to this country to find land and farm. Now my Great Grandfather on one side was English so there could be some Roman or Saxon in him, so,if you go back far enough some one in our gene pool may have killed someone. On the German-Lithuania side it is hard to say may be a few anti-semites in the closet. Obviously I am white so what crimes am I guilty of. Family arrived dirt poor long after slavery, left Germany before WW II, so what collectibe guilt do I share because I am white? Do you realize how stupid it is to blame an entire race for anything, I mean any race. Hell we both may be decendents of Genghis Khan, now,that would be some collective guilt there.
>>
>>171402
>Well you're comparing the crimes of an entire race to those committed during a single rally.

I’m comparing one incident that has resulted in a MASSIVE fake news media campaign to years of violence and uncivilized behavior, that the Mainstream Media either ignored or actively promoted.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.