[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Durham protesters topple Confederate statue outside courthouse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 1

http://abc11.com/politics/the-latest-protesters-topple-durham-confederate-statue/2308015/

>DURHAM, North Carolina (WTVD) --
Protesters in Durham rushed and toppled a Confederate statue outside the courthouse on Monday evening.

>The monument of a Confederate soldier holding a rifle was erected in 1924 and inscribed on it are the words "in memory of the boys who wore the gray."

>Later Monday, Gov. Roy Cooper tweeted reaction, saying, "the racism and deadly violence in Charlottesville is unacceptable but there is a better way to remove these monuments."

>The crowd was small in numbers but steadily grew to more than 100.

>As the crowd became more animated, several protesters approached the monument, climbing it and attaching a yellow nylon rope around it. The protesters then pulled until the soldier came crashing to the ground.

>Seconds after the monument fell, protesters began kicking the crumpled bronze monument.

>"I was a little bit shocked people could come here and come together like that," said Isaiah Wallace.

>Wallace said he watched as others toppled the statue. He hopes other Confederate symbols elsewhere will follow.

>"I feel like this is going to send shockwaves through the country and hopefully they can bring down other racist symbols," he said.

>The Durham protest was in response to a white nationalist rally held in Charlottesville, Virginia, during the weekend.

>ABC11 spoke to Durham Mayor Bill Bell for reaction.

>"I'm not surprised seeing what's gone on in this country," Bell said Monday night.
>>
>>168396
>Because the statue was on county property, Bell would not comment on any possible charges against the protesters for the vandalism.

>Shortly after 9:30 p.m., Durham Police issued a response to the protests.

>"The DPD is aware that a Confederate monument was toppled at the old Durham County courthouse. Because this incident occurred on county property, where county law enforcement officials were staffed, no arrests were made by DPD officers," the department said in a statement."

>Police said the Durham County Sheriff's Office is the agency that has jurisdiction over all county buildings and landmarks.

>"When monitoring such incidents, the Sheriff's Office is the decision-making agency regarding law enforcement response on matters concerning county property," DPD explained.

>Shortly before 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, Durham County issued an innocuous statement regarding the recent events:

>"Our elected officials and senior staff understand the unrest in our nation and community, particularly following the senseless acts that took place in Charlottesville, VA. We share the sentiments of many communities around the nation that admonish hate and acts of violence as we believe civility is necessary in our every action and response. Governmental agencies dedicated to public safety will continue to work collectively to ensure Durham remains a community of excellence where all of our residents can live peacefully, grow and thrive."

>Protesters then moved on to walk down to Roxboro Street at Main Street, where the blocked the intersection.

>The protesters later marched to the site of the new Durham Police headquarters, which is under construction.

>Durham Police remained close by but kept their distance from the protesters.

>The protest is now over but there is a police presence outside of the courthouse.
>>
Headline should read: Police Allow Mob of Vandals Free Reign Over City
>>
These Commies are just like ISIS
>>
>>168398
I don't care about the statue but they shouldn't have blocked the intersection. That's just annoying.
>>
>>168434
Agreed. You would think that after yesterday they would realize it might not be the wisest idea
>>
definitely a deplorable act but not surprising considering the recent events in charlottesvile
>>
>>168434
I care about the statue. It is practically populist de facto revisionism. Not to mention destruction of public property. That mayor was too soft on them. I'd have had police at the ready as soon as that rope went up.

“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”-George Orwell, 1984
>>
>>168457
Don't listen to Orwell comrade. He fought for the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War.

Now pass me a match, these books won't burn themselves.
>>
>>168396
This is what happens when civics and history get gutted to push students through. No Child Left Behind has spawned a swarm of overgrown children that are frothing at the mouth to erase history they dont even understand past the test required "south bad, north good, slavery was American only and the absolute worst thing to ever happen on American soil." Nevermind what Robert E Lee did for the country outside the war, as a colonal in the US army, as a politition who prevented the looting of the south by the new republican party, or the university he headed and was almost worshipped by attending students for how well he ran that school. These people have literally zero knowledge of the man or his views on slavery and segregation. Now we have another monument being toppled honoring Americans who fought and died against what was at the time a tyranny (Lincoln got 0 electoral votes in the south) while feeling exactly the same way those Confederate soldiers did (rural and suburban retards outnumbering urban voters)
>>
The protestors lack the discipline of an organised critical mass, but they know they're on the right side of history.
>>
ISIS-tier really. Destroying historical artifacts isn't going to make the present any better.
>>
>>168470
> ISIS-tier.

The artefacts that ISIS were destroying are several thousand years old. These ones are probably about as old as the statues Saddam Hussein erected of himself the Iraqis pulled down.

You know, the people your nation supposedly helped to free from tyranny.
>>
>>168471
>Statues erected in reverance decades after the war
>The same as a dictator erecting statues of himself
Your next line is about traitors and how we should have done the exact opposite of the Postbellum Reconstruction.
>>
This is why the new deal shouldn't exist; it create degerates such as theses self-righteous pricks.
>>
>>168457
>>168464

Orwell was a fucking anarchist who fought for moral degeneracy. Fuck that faggot.
>>
>>168471

>The monument of a Confederate soldier holding a rifle was erected in 1924
> The artefacts that ISIS were destroying are several thousand years old. These ones are probably about as old as the statues Saddam Hussein erected of himself the Iraqis pulled down.

Looks like Reading and Math have been gutted as well. True, the monument is not nearly as old as the artifacts, but it is still a monument to an essential part of U.S. history.
>>
Fuck that. If a statue makes racist shit wads huddle and worship around it, tear it the fuck down. History or not that is utter bullshit, there should be no tolerance for bigotry in America.
>>
>>168470
>>168432

Whats with these screeching false equivalences here

>>168467

>These people have literally zero knowledge of the man or his views on slavery and segregation. Now we have another monument being toppled honoring Americans who fought and died against what was at the time a tyranny (Lincoln got 0 electoral votes in the south) while feeling exactly the same way those Confederate soldiers did (rural and suburban retards outnumbering urban voters)

Why are you peddling Lost Cause non-sense?

And what exactly did Lincoln do that was tyrannical to cause the South to secede? Before he was even inaugurated, 7 states had already seceded from the union -- meaning the confederacy already started before Lincoln had any power to do anything.

The only "tyranny" the South wanted to protect itself from was the eventual banning of slavery, a direct threat to the slave society the antebellum south had become.

If state's rights was a legitimate issue with the South -- one that was worth spilling the blood of 100,000s of men -- and not a political facade with which to attack the North with, then the outcome of the Nullification Crisis in the 1830s should have turned out differently and the highly hypocritical fugitive slave act would not have been pushed through. But the reality is that the South backed down during the Nullification Crisis, meaning State rights in their eyes was not worth fighting for, and the South infringed on the rights of Northern States to decide what they did with fugitive slaves.

The South's main goal was the perpetuation of slavery as it was the foundation of their economy and culture, and they would do anything to protect it, going so far as to rebel against America.
>>
>>168480
And that makes his message any less meaningful, how?
>>
>>168489
You must be the final boss, you retard. Everything thus far has been reactionary.

1) Mayor motions to remove confederate statue, rename park
2) People (including white nationalists, neo-nazis, etc) join at statue to protest removal, basically urban tree-hugging
3) People take it a step further and bring torches
4) Media blows it way out of proportion, claiming it is rise of KKK
5) Same people decide to hold second rally to protest removal
6) Retards (like you) who believe that shit decide to go to the court house to counter protest after being btfo at 2nd rally
7) They take it a step by removing local statue themselves

This all happened because the mayor decided to remove inconvenient history and Media just poured gasoline on the fire.
>>
>>168490
It wasnt until Lincolns inauguration that they had a real fear of losing their rights. To say it wasnt about slavery is nonsense, the only disagreement is if it was states rights (to hold slaves) or just to hold slaves. To argue otherwise is disengenuous or idiocy. The nullification crisis was a win for south carolina government when they got their reduced tarriffs but later had their shit thrown in their faces by the opponents of the Fugitive Slave Acts amendment (wisconsin and to a lesser extent vermont). The pretext of states rights however was always important as someone was elected by a group that had almost nothing in common with those most effected. Slavery was something that needed to go, but the reaction was understandable. This was the first time federal "overreach" (speaking from the persepective) was happening without say for the south despite not having the constitution explicitly stated these as powers granted to the federal government. Its the same as federal bans on Marijuana or states attempting to supercede federal government on immigration today.
>>
>>168498
Ouch my feelz. But seriously cry me a river with media blame, someday you gotta grow up kid. Media is of course adding to it, but really most of what has been aired is what happened and less gloss to the story. That's what's powerful about it, the white nationalist and antifa fighting. It happened, it was real, cry fake news all you want it doesn't matter because it happened. I'm sick and tired of arguing for reality but now that the daily storm was hacked and people are coming out against the alt right, it makes me hopeful. Call it reactionary, noone will care; because of literal passion. Reaction to racist events isn't a surprise. The surprise is Antifa, Anon and people giving a shit. If you want me or us to be silent, sorry kid those days are over.
>>
>>168509
>All this rambling without saying anything or even responding to anything in the post
Put down the crackpipe anon, shit will kill you
>>
>>168513
Idk man, you seem to be putting blame on media and dismissing everything like it's nuthin. Crackpipe is lulz though. If Anon was on crack god that would be crazy.
>>
>>168498
So a bunch of torch wielding Klansman were rallying around a statue waiting to lynch people and you see nothing wrong with this?
>>
>>168509
Did you even read the post? It's not a reaction to a racist event. It was a reaction to a revisionist event, which got painted as a racist event itself (though the rally-goers didn't exactly leave much to the imagination), and were reacted to in turn by mindless mob mentality in a completely unrelated location (Durham NC as opposed to Charlottesville VA) on a vaguely related monument.

Trump's address to these events were 100% accurate. Both sides have a bunch of vitriolic nincompoops, and media is not helping at all.
>>
They did this to instill terror in the minds of racism.

These commies are literal terrorists.
>>
>>168526
He clearly doesn't get it. Which tells me he doesn't understand, doesn't care or supports white nationlism. Which regardless, I'm glad to see someone else understands how fucked up it is and doing something about it. Thank you Anon
>>
>>168542
Oh man, anon. You've got me all figured out. I am definitely here only because of race and because my nazi brethren were needed in Durham...
I definitely was not here for the blatant destruction of historical monuments. I certainly was not >>168457, or >>168498, or even >>168528. Yes, I am here solely to support my fellow whitey.
>>
>>168575
"Doesn't understand, doesn't care or supports white nationalism"
When you resort to historic monuments for a defense... I mean someone is literally dead. I hope you stay in a corner while we actually do something about bigotry.
>>
>>168582
> I hope you stay in a corner while we actually do something about bigotry.
Every time people say they are going to do something about bigotry, it results in more bigotry, either from the "bigots" or the "anti-bigots". It's like quicksand. The more you thrash about in it, the faster it swallows you up and kills you. The best tool against (((bigotry))) is entropy. Just tell everyone to not give a shit, and explain why. All of this was enabled because someone gave a shit about something others did not give a shit about, until they saw him give a shit about it. So they had to throw their shit into the fray, because people like to throw shit around if they think it will hit something. It's boring to throw shit and nothing is their to react to it. Hell, the whole meme war was kids enjoying the reactions they got when they threw shit up on the internet.
>>
>>168396
Toppling it was ok, but kicking it when it was down? Low.
>>
Take the statues down. Put them in a museum. They're not in public anymore but people can still go see them. Everyone wins.
>>
>>168594
"Best tool against bigotry is entropy" Nice, thermodynamics. How about joining in fighting it rather than the method of doing Jack all. That's what's needed. What you're seeing is people coming out against bullshit. If you think nothing comes from this you're mistaken. I don't hate you, I think you're absolutely wrong though.

You say that fighting bigotry creates it. We had a war about this. If we didn't give a shit back then this world be fucking horrible. Fighting bigotry works, and it's going to work again.
>>
>>168617
This sounds like tolerating a symbol of intolerance. Did you mean it that way?
>>
>>168620
More like I'm tired of seeing the fucking statues and hearing about the fucking statues but I recognize their historical value.
>>
>>168620
according to that logic, we should demolish the pyramids
>>
>>168622
Can you recognize the symbolic value? The argument is that there's more to gain by removing the symbol vs preservation even for history's sake
>>168623
The builders of the pyramids are still debated actually, go double check quick
>>
>>168628
>Can you recognize the symbolic value?
What symbolic value? They lost. The confederacy is a relic of the past. Put all that bullshit in a museum and call it a day.
>>
Fuck yeah dark ages here we come
>>
>>168628
>The argument is that there's more to gain by removing the symbol vs preservation even for history's sake

There is nothing to be gained by hiding from the past and pretending everything was lovely and wonderful and hiding from the bad things, because the past likes to come back and slit your dipshit throats.

You're no different to the Taliban when they blew up the statues of Buddha. You're nothing but a bunch of cunts.
>>
>>168471
>The artefacts that ISIS were destroying are several thousand years old.

So? At one point they too were new, and then decades old, then centuries. How long does something have to be around for it to become historical? Should we abolish all traces of the contemporary past because it offends us? The future will look back and curse us for the destruction and revision.
>>
>>168644
If people rally around a fucking racist general statue and chant for it. Uh, fuck yeah tear that shit down and place it in a museum ffs. The whole fucking point is white nationalism is bullshit and regardless with the weak arguments that some use to defend. It's ridiculous, happy some people are decent to go confront them.
>>
>>168431
Headline should read "Durham cops realize they've been on the wrong side of history and now will disavow the racist south".
>>
>>168582
But it's a white person dead. Killed by other white people. Clearly we just need less white people
>>
>>168640
>comparing Buddha to confederate soldiers
You must actually be retarded.
>>
>>168619
>How about joining in fighting it rather than the method of doing Jack all
Yeah man the only way to "fight bigotry" is to riot with a bunch of communist agitators
>You say that fighting bigotry creates it. We had a war about this.
Which war would that be? The one about federalism, or the one about being attacked by Japan?
>>
can we just tear down the pyramids already, i can't stand those monuments built on the backs of slaves still being around after all this time
>>
>>168396
I live in nc, about 30 minutes from Durham and first of all, Durham is a drug town. You only go there for one thing, and that's drugs.
Second, nc has a law that makes removal of historical statues illegal. I hope they cuff and stuff every single one of those dumb fuckers.
Bonus, only durham meatheads are dumb enough to kick a bronze statue.
>>
>Slavery was over 100 years ago guys get over it.

>Wait no just not the statues!

Bygones weren't bygones. Who knew. I'd have liked to know where y'all were when we tore Saddam Hussein's statue down, though. People cheered.
>>
>>168882
If you can't see a difference between removing the statue of the former dictator who just got deposed and that of a general which lived 150 years ago, then you are being willfully ignorant.
>>
>>168875

Well, all of our histories are full of people doing heinous shit in all cultures. Should we not celebrate anything about our past? The Confederates were in a place and time where it became widely accepted that slavery was not benefitting or fair to slaves, and the popular will existed for emancipation. Not saying it couldn't have been done by the founders, but there's simply a bit more nuance to consider to their failure to free the slaves. Of course the founders could have freed the slaves they owned personally. But for what little it might be worth, they didn't actively fight for the right to perpetuate the instition of slavery like the Confederate armies did. They much more passively owned slaves because it was socially acceptable. Again it's certainly a terrible vice either way but generally speaking, "going with the flow" is not necessarily equally as bad as actively fighting for the right to do harm.

In any case, statues aren't people, they are just symbols. It's true the founders and Confederates did both own slaves. But the former have become symbolic of expansion of human rights (by seceeding from a monarchy under which they received little representation in government), while the latter has become synonymous with fighting against the expansion of human rights. Statues often don't celebrate individuals so much as ideas.

I don't think they should have torn down the statues illegally either way.
>>
>>168875

Completely missing the point. People who incidentally kept slaves were a product of the times they lived in; people who ***declared war against the government specifically to preserve the practice of slavery*** are subscribed to a wholly different kind of mindset, and such individuals do not deserve to be honored.

And your example doesn't even parallel with Confederate figures. Do people stand around pyramids honoring the rulers who ordered their construction?
>>
>>168891
General who fought for traitors and slsvery.

Get out pol.
>>
>>168915
>General who fought for traitors
The south seceded and was technically their own country. He fought for his country, same as all of those in the union. Contrary to popular belief, the south did not want a civil war and did try to prevent it through secession.
>slavery
Slavery was a way of life for people in the south back then and had been that way for generations, of course they would try to preserve it. Looking back now it is easy to call them backwards, but at the time they were considered normal. No one today is using the statues as a means to advocate for slavery, not even the most extreme of the far right groups have that in their platform.
>>
Well, Washington owned slaves, should we also tear down statues of him?
>>
>>168926
This.

The secession may have been caused by slavery, but the war was caused by the North. The secession was legal. Most states that made up the CSA didn't even secede themselves until Lincoln raised an army to prevent secession from happening.
>>
>>168928
Washington was also a Virginian, and Lee's father was one of his best officers. Lee was compared a lot to Washington when he was alive. Same kinda culture. Same kinda group of people.

People forget how much crosstalk there is generationally even in just the military. Just like a bunch of heroes of the Mexican War are celebrated for that and damned in the Civil War. Or people laugh about Sherman being a monster in the South then cry about when the Feds sicced him and the buffalo soldiers on the Sue and the Comanche for the Indian Wars afterward.
>>
>>168929
>The secession was legal.
Prove this.
>>
>>168934
He can't. The people who said it wasn't, won the war. That's why it's known as a civil war today.

Technically, there were some state constitutions that theoretically allowed it, and votes were ratified by the voting population of the states, but what happened was essentially like your boss telling you they refuse to accept a letter of resignation. He's the boss and what he says goes. It's the difference between using a federal government as a loose institution for states to coordinate with each other and using it as the supreme power that all states must suborn to.
>>
>>168891
I legit can't anon.

Especially when said general rebelled against my country.
And later instructed people that supported the cause not to go around naming every fucking thing after the CA because it would cause the problems we have today.

So please explain. Because right now its like if Germany had streets named after Hitler and friends in my mind.
>>
>>168939
One of them actively oppressed the generation removing the statue. The other has noone from any generation which lived when he did alive today.
If you argued for removal when they put up or when someone directly affected by said person was still alive it would be a different matter.
Hitler is the same way since there are still people alive who were directly affected by his regime, so it makes sense to lodge a complaint now.
Don't be offended for other people and try to keep that Nationalism in check
>>
>>168939
Not him, but those statues have been up at this point, longer than there was a country BEFORE they were put up. That's historical and worthy of protection.

But then what do I know. Not like this is new behavior. They bulldozed most of the 1600's fort where I'm from to make the new capital building in the 1930's because fuck history. We need that literal high ground.
>>
>>168941
I believe that is why the more sane people are arguing to just move the statues into a museum or confederate cematary. Instead of going full ISIS on them.

>>168940
Most of these statues were put up well after the war and in states that didn't even participate in them. These statues were often used as rallying points by clansmen when they were first put up. Hell some of them originally had high racist writing pretty much telling blacks and other groups they weren't welcome. There are people actually alive today who had grandparents and parents directly fucked over by said clansmen and their brutal tactics.

We could get into an argument about generational wealth and how this suppression affected people and their children, but that would be taking us way off course.

So I'm just going to ask for the second question to be answered, why should we honor a group of traitors on government property?
>>
>>168909
As for pyramids, every time I bring up that slavery had a hand in their construction, I am told by people that there were very little, if any slaves.
The only reasoning I can think of for believing that, is that they drank the WE WUZ KANGZ meme too hard, and therefore black egyptians are incapable of being slavers. Egypt has used slaves for millenia, and now they
Even with that though, I think tearing down any natural or constructed wonders of the world would be a horrible tragedy.
>>
>>168946
I would rather bring up the point that even if that's true that they weren't mostly built by slaves (and modern archaeology does point to that), people thought they were built by slaves for thousands of years and at any time during that period could have torn them down and celebrated using that as justification.

And that's just wrong.
>>
>>168943
Because they weren't traitors. They were brothers fighting for what they believed in. That is why they are honored.

Destroying historical monuments because some dickhole political party associated themselves with them is the dumbest fucking way to fight against said party. If anything it just increases the tension between both sides, which isn't something you want unless you are looking for a justification to throw some punches.
>>
>>168947
Of course the pyramids were built by slaves! I've seen the old films of slaves moving huge slabs of stone on tree-trunk rollers.
We gotta topple the pyramids today! Follow me on twitter and we can orchestrate our evil alt-left campaign!
>>
>>168948
They were brothers fighting for what they believed in... against the United States. Hence, they are traitors.
>>
Wasn't a large number of confederacy soldiers conscripts? Also didn't almost no one besides rich plantation owners actually own slaves?
>>
>>168997
The majority of slave owners in the US were black. But the vast majority of slaves were owned by a very few white plantation owners.

The general white populace was either too poor or worked in or owned businesses that would receive no benefit from slavery. Plantation work required a very specific niche of cheap labor intensive work to see profit. The black owners would often have much smaller land holdings or use them as domestic slaves, or in some cases ex-slaves buying their family so they could have "freedom" whilst still legally being a slave.
>>
>>168693
fuck off reddit
>>
>>168915
fuck off reddit
>>
>>168396
fuck roy cooper tbh famalam. wish there is someone brave to string his entrails and have it paraded
>>
>>168693
>wrong side of history
Anyone who says this shit revokes their right to actually have an opinion on politics.
>>
>>168908
>Statues often don't celebrate individuals so much as ideas.
Statues don't have to exist for the purpose of celebrating. Statues are erected for the purpose of remembrance. By erecting something as a statue, you ensure that it stands through the ages and that people remember it. But at the end of the day, what is important isn't /why/ it was erected, its how people view it and why it stays up. I personally think Berlin should have a Hitler statue in public. The reason being is that it reminds people that it occurred and that as long as it exist, people remember it happened. You would be using Hitler's face to decry the very ideals he held and the sins he committed.

You could argue that if you want to use statues as a means to remind people of the sins someone committed it should be in a museum. But I don't think that's really viable. Throwing it in a museum is really no different to hiding it from society. Your average person will rarely visit a museum and the few times they do, its contents won't really have that large of an effect on them. As such, you put it out in public to force society to remember history.

You are then stuck with the issue of people using it as their symbol. Because like you said, statues stand more for the concept of an idea. Whether these statues exist or not, people will use them as idols. Removing them won't suddenly remove the problem or make people stop idolizing them. All you are doing is removing their physical idol and if that frustrates them, they will just seek out a new one. The likely case for that is they will seek out to idolize a living person and put him on a pedestal. But that's a whole another topic from the current one.
>>
>>169131
this
>>
>>168582
A white guy with schizophrenia hyped up by people saying whites need to be put in their place ran his car into a white hamplanet at a mockery of a protest. Whoop de fucking do. The KKK and neonazis have always been shit and have always done shit since each group lost power. We aren't talking about blacks getting lynched in the streets, we're talking about two sides going way too far to troll their counterpart. Everyone needs to chill the fuck out.
>>
>>169108
>>169131

>t. On the wrong side of history
>>
>>170558
fuck off reddit
>>
>>170563
>2000+18
>Still on the wrong side of history
>>
>>170577
fuck off reddit
>>
>>170578
>Anno Domini 643*pi
>Being of the side of history that is not right
>>
>>170581
fuck off reddit
>>
>>170582
>>170578
>>170563
Not an argument
>>
>>170586
fuck off reddit
>>
>>170587
You seem very obsessed with Reddit, why are you here?
>>
>>170589
You seem very obsessed with being on the wrong side of history, why are you here?
>>
>>170590
The same reason you're here.

This is the one place you can be the insufferable pedant you actually are without consequences.
>>
>>170601
t. wrong side of the history
>>
>>170600
They're cheap pieces of 50 year old metal my dude.
>>
>>168396
Here's a video of Red Ice TV infiltrating the Durham protestors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtZffyWiCN8

They actually have these people in orange vests who are basically "safe space police", and they try to annoy and shut-down anybody who isn't a rabid leftist. They also encourage people to not speak to anybody who's been declared a right-winger. Seems like the whole thing is designed to prevent opposing viewpoints from being considered.

@ 8:32 - 8:36 the leftists give a Marxist salute (raised fist).

@ 9:32 there is a picture of Marx on a Marxist book placed on the statue.

@ 9:36, the Asian man admits that he liked it better in his homeland because everybody looked like him. LOL.
>>
>>168526
>Klansman
Not all white nationalists are KKK or Nazis.

>waiting to lynch people
Proofs?

>>168803
Confederate soldiers themselves were not always ideological replicas of the generals/politicians that commanded them. Many of them were conscripted, and had no choice but to fight. Also, many of the Union soldiers and leaders themselves were racist. There was an actual riot in New York city where men lynched blacks because they didn't want to get conscripted and die for the sake of slaves. Google it.

You're right though in stating that the Durham statue was a monument to the soldiers, not some ideological leader. I'm sure you don't agree with the Vietnam war, but that doesn't give you the right to go blow-up the Vietnam War Memorial in D.C.
>>
>>169142
But part of the problem is the why is important.

You have statues, "honoring" a cause that was based mostly on the states rights to own slaves. That were created around brown v board of education, jim crow, and other civil rights clashes of the 1900s.

The end result is that a lot of these statues and objects named after confderate fighters were nothing but tools to further white supremacy under the guise of honor/white heritage.

A good compromise would be simply placing them in museums and confederate grave yards. This is similar to what Russia does to remember its communist/revolutionary history.
>>
>>170635
>Not all white nationalists are KKK or Nazis.
no they just don't want my family to exist in the country anymore or maybe if I'm lucky my kids will get to live as second class citizens

see they're TOTALLY different.
>>
>>170577
we're rewriting it.
>>
>>170714
>I have absolutely no clue what the fuck I'm talking about

I'm colored, I lean left, and I can see the difference. People like you are the reason why nobody takes us seriously.
>>
>>170769
>colored

White boy spotted.
>>
Maybe people should just leave the statues alone and do something more productive with their time that doesn't involve vandalism?
>>
>make racism afraid again
No. No. NO. N. O. NO.
Fighting terror with terror is probably the worst possible way to sort this problem out.
While it is my personal opinion that the fact that Confederate iconography remained this long seems odd considering they were the losers in a war from 150 years ago, no act of vandalism should ever be justified, even if it fits a 'morally righteous' narrative.
To do so invites lawlessness, and gives the government all the more reason to crack down on dissent in a more oppressive manner.
>>
exactly. this statue represented the soldiers fighting for the south. someone of them didnt have a choice but to fight. vandalism should never be allowed. what ever happened to knowing your history so its not repeated.
>>
>>170807
>Worked in ww2 with nazis and japs

Burned down 70 percent of their bulidings in their top 30 cities.
>>
>>170813
So you want a war?
Man, I can wait for Civil War II.
>>
>>170791
But that requires them to actually be a benefit to society. Who will stink up the coffee joints if they don't do it.
>>
Seriously, people want a Civil War because they don't want to remember the first Civil War?

What next, bulldozing Native American Burial Grounds?

The Alt Left is pure Hate, nothing more.
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.