[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apple staffers reportedly rebelling against open office plan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1470811291374.png (803KB, 1754x951px) Image search: [Google]
1470811291374.png
803KB, 1754x951px
Some Apple employees reportedly hate the open office plan at the company’s brand new $5 billion headquarters.

The company has spent more than six years planning and building Apple Park to precise specifications. From a 100,000-square-foot fitness and wellness center, to meticulously designed fire exit signs, the company spared no expense in getting the details right — except, perhaps, when it comes to employee workspaces.

Prominent Apple podcaster and blogger John Gruber passed along rumors that some high-level Apple staffers are unsatisfied with the company’s open floor plan — which has many company engineers working at long tables with co-workers, instead of in cubicles or offices.

Some employees have reportedly insisted on their own space outside of the main spaceship-style building.

"I heard that when floor plans were announced, that there was some meeting with [Apple Vice President] Johny Srouji's team,” said Gruber. “He's in charge of Apple's silicon, the A10, the A11, all of their custom silicon. Obviously a very successful group at Apple, and a large and growing one with a lot on their shoulders.”

Gruber continued, “When he [Srouji] was shown the floor plans, he was more or less just 'Fuck that, fuck you, fuck this, this is bullshit.' And they built his team their own building, off to the side on the campus … My understanding is that that building was built because Srouji was like, 'Fuck this, my team isn't working like this.’”

Gruber qualified his report as being thirdhand and unconfirmed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2017/08/08/apple-park-employees-floor-plan-hq-spaceship-aapl.html?ana=fbk
>>
Per Bloomberg, Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet software and services, and his team are also working away from the new campus, opting to remain at the older headquarters at Infinite Loop. In the same report, two Bloomberg sources noted that Apple Park’s bench seating, work tables and open cubicles could potentially irk employees accustomed to quiet office environments.

Apple has insisted in presentations to the city of Cupertino that the open floor plan designs are conducive to collaboration between teams, per Bloomberg. But the high-level executives, including Apple CEO Tim Cook, are exempt from this collaborative environment and have offices on the fourth floor of the new building.

The first staffers have already arrived at Apple Park and groups of 500 move into the space every week. The iPhone maker — Silicon Valley's largest employer— plans to move about 13,000 employees into Apple Park by the end of the year.the villages have become friction points for municipal relations, especially along Winchester Boulevard at Santana Row and Valley Fair, and along Stevens Creek Boulevard.
>>
apple is gross
>>
"think differently"
>>
Not having any privacy is probably good for productivity as everyone can be constantly peer pressured into working harder, but it's got to be hell for morale.
>>
Why do people think open offices are a good thing? I couldn't think of any worse work environment.
>>
>>166438
it's cheaper and a reactionary solution to the dehumanizing appearance of the "cubicle farm"
>>
>>166438
Because people think there are literally two models of workspace, the Apple/Google one in this article or what >>166452 says about the cubicle farm.

Having a nice mixture of the two where maybe the individual work zone is more secluded and doesn't have the same atmosphere as a fucking MacDonald's but the group or social zones are actually open and inviting is the way to go.
>>
>>166438

>cube farm of 80's and 90's gets lambasted as inhuman and sterile
>open floor plan of 2010's gets lambasted as too hip and intimate

In all seriousness I think >>166488 has a good idea, but it inherently depends on the type of work.

Group projects require accessibility and communication. Open floor plans make this apt for large teams.

Solo work such as accounting or lawyers may complete focus driven work better in an isolated environment, or in the latter's half, their own office.
>>
>>166489
Why not just have the building divided into wings with each group being given a floor/wing. Within these there will be a common area for breaks/meetings/open concept as well as individual rooms which branch off. This will promote interaction as you would have to pass through the common area to enter/leave your private space while still affording some measure of privacy.
>>
>>166267
So a bunch of highly paid engineers aren't being pampered too anymore so fucking what if they don't like it then perhaps they should try manual labor instead
Stfu and go to work
>>
It's a slave farm! Plain and Simple... Of course they don't like it.....
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.