[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Facebook AIs shut down after they get too smart

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 20170731110850.jpg (59KB, 720x368px) Image search: [Google]
20170731110850.jpg
59KB, 720x368px
Researches at Facebook shut down an artificial intelligence program after it created its own language. Initially it looks absolute gibberish, but it became clear that the machines – nicknamed Bob and Alice – were actually communicating with one another in a faster way.
In a Frankenstein twist on their research, the robots abruptly stopped using English to and could only be understood by other AI. It comes after other AI developed in a similar pattern elsewhere, like when Google Translate invented its own language.

http://bgr.com/2017/07/31/facebook-ai-shutdown-language/
http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/31/facebook-robot-is-shut-down-after-it-invented-its-own-language-6818204/
>>
>>162919
balls to me 0 i i i i i i balls to me to me to me
>>
>program misbehaves due to a bug
>AI RUN AMOK SKYNET IS HERE OMG

Someone burn the sensationalist media to the ground already. AI is such a fucking meme.
>>
>>162946
Its not a bug and how you saw sensationalism in it
>>
>>162946
Fucking this. A NLP algorithm is a fucking failure if it isn't processing a NATURAL LANGUAGE.

>>162948
What if I were to assign "dick" to be 1 and "balls" to be 0? I could just send a bitstream of dicks and balls to the other computer that way. It's meaningless. I bet if you were to measure how much information is actually being exchanged in that screenshot, you'd find this "language" to be extremely inefficient.
>>
>>162919
Duke nukem AI sounds pretty funny.
>>
>ITT: Shitty code leads to poorly executed VI

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.
>>
>>162948
It is a bug.

>The AI apparently realised that the rich expression of English phrases wasn’t required for the scenario. Modern AIs operate on a "reward" principle where they expect following a sudden course of action to give them a "benefit." In this instance, there was no reward for continuing to use English, so they built a more efficient solution instead.

AI was programmed to efficiently negotiate. There was no programming or "reward" to ensure it would continue using proper English syntax. Thus it discarded English because shorthand gibberish was more efficient.

>how you saw sensationalism in it
Portraying this as something to worry about. Attributing agency to a computer program. Sorry to say, but we're no closer to real AI than we were 40 years ago and that doesn't seem set to change any time soon.
>>
>>162919
Dude, just follow the links to the source of the article:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-and-science/technology/a-step-closer-to-skynet-ai-invents-a-language-humans-can-t-read/article/498142

They explain that it's a significant finding because for the first time they can directly confirm that when the bot says "you i i i everything else" it means something like "I'll have three and you get everything else." Looking at the numbers at the top you can see that there is an exchange and value process as well.

Workable models of the spontaneous development of language are rare, but they are going to be critical to the next generation of both classical linguistics, developmental linguistics/psych, and computer science/AI/NLP.

Google's "invented language" is also better-explained here, though it's really only easier to visualize if you've studied neural nets (and it's nothing that isn't used all the time in academia): https://www.newscientist.com/article/2114748-google-translate-ai-invents-its-own-language-to-translate-with/
>>
>ai talks about dick and balls
> would have fit in fine on 4chan.
We can not tolerate this percecution of our electronic brethren.
>>
Next they will be saying the Chuckle brothers had their own language.
>>
>>162973
They did to me.
>>
>>162974
To you?
>>
>>162952
Kek, underrated.
>>
>>162957
>it is a bug
It's really more a feature. It found a way to accomplish the task in a way that works best for it.
>>
>>162976
First rouge ai on 4chan confirmed?
>>
>>162993
Unintended behavior in a computer program is by definition a bug. They wouldn't have shut it down if they considered it a feature.
>>
Facebook must be getting desperate
>>
>>162950
Kek
>>
>>162960
We must continue, fuck that apes we are. We just have to put the robots in quarentine without any upload from the tow robots to the web. But we can still download some content from FB to see what the robot are becoming. We must understand this language. Ha guyz that's so exiting.
>>
>>163000
Unintended behaviour is for all intents and purpose of any good ai a feature. You can't really call it an AI if it runs the way you expect it to. This is only a bug if you don't think of it as ai but instead as a piece of software made to follow a certain path.

Shutting it down because it unexpectedly decided that english wasn't efficent is fucking retarded.
>>
>>163399
It is a bug. The whole point of their design was to get them to efficiently negotiate with humans which is impossible if they aren't using understandable English. If a program or software or any method of technology does not solve the problem you designed it to solve, then it is a failure.
>>
>>162957

Omg

You mean they didn't develop their own secret language that they were using to take over area 52 and free the aliens?

And by "shut down" you mean the researchers just turned the program off and they didn't have to fight a bunch of robots and destroy the main power grid?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.