[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

scientist create organism from scratch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: new race.jpg (34KB, 855x532px) Image search: [Google]
new race.jpg
34KB, 855x532px
>At Jef Boeke's lab, you can whiff an odor that seems out of place, as if they were baking >bread here.
But he and his colleagues are cooking up >something else altogether: yeast that works with chunks of man-made DNA.

>Scientists have long been able to make specific changes in the DNA code. Now, they're >taking the more radical step of starting over, and building redesigned life forms from scratch. >Boeke, a researcher at New York University, directs an international team of 11 labs on four >continents working to "rewrite" the yeast genome, following a detailed plan they >published in March.

>Their work is part of a bold and controversial pursuit aimed at creating custom-made DNA >codes to be inserted into living cells to change how they function, or even provide a treatment >for diseases. It could also someday help give scientists the profound and unsettling ability to >create entirely new organisms.

>The genome is the entire genetic code of a living thing. Learning how to make one from >scratch, Boeke said, means "you really can construct something that's completely new."

>The research may reveal basic, hidden rules that govern the structure and functioning of >genomes. But it also opens the door to life with new and useful characteristics, like >microbes or mammal cells that are better than current ones at pumping out medications in >pharmaceutical factories, or new vaccines. The right modifications might make yeast >efficiently produce new biofuels, Boeke says.

link:
>https://m.phys.org/news/2017-07-scientists-dna-life-blueprint.html
>>
Neat.
>>
>>162780

frankenstein shit

ww3 cannot come soon enough
>>
>>162798
Mfw, we dont know
>>
Cool. I just hope luddites dont fuck this up.
>>
This is incredible
>>
>scientist create organism from scratch
Cool story but isn't that a bit misleading?
>>
>>163177
Yeah, I figured they made a primordial fluid and hit it with electricity
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.