[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gov. Hickenlooper orders statewide greenhouse gas emissions cut

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

>Colorado signs on to U.S. Climate Alliance, joining states committed to exceeding Trump’s rejected Paris climate targets

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/11/colorado-signs-us-climate-alliance-joining-states-committed-paris-climate-agreement/

>MORRISON – Colorado on Tuesday joined the growing number of states and cities committed to meeting or exceeding the greenhouse gas reduction targets set in the international Paris climate treaty that President Donald Trump rejects.

>Gov. John Hickenlooper issued an executive order declaring a goal of cutting statewide greenhouse gas emissions by at least 26 percent below 2005 levels by 2025. Hickenlooper also announced Colorado will sign on to the U.S. Climate Alliance of businesses and states working to capitalize on renewable energy.

>Colorado will accelerate work toward climate goals “regardless of what the federal government decides to do,” Hickenlooper said before signing the order at the Red Rocks park overlooking metro Denver.

>“We will tap into this market force that is already moving,” Hickenlooper said, emphasizing robust economic activity around clean wind and solar energy as an alternative to burning more fossil fuels that increase carbon and other pollution.

>“This is a grassroots-based movement,” he said. A dozen or so other states and scores of cities already have declared they’ll exceed Paris treaty targets. “That groundswell will build into a national movement.”
>>
>Trump is working to remove the U.S. from the international treaty to address potentially ruinous climate change. White House officials have initiated a process of withdrawal from a signed treaty, which isn’t expected to conclude until November 2020, near when Trump could be re-elected. Trump has said he’s open to re-negotiating U.S. carbon reduction commitments, but that the current treaty imposes intolerable financial burdens on Americans.

>The landmark 2015 Paris agreement commits the United States to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 26 to 28 percent below 2005 levels by 2025.

>Governors of New York, California and Washington formed the climate alliance after Trump last month announced he’d back the United States out of global efforts to address climate change by cutting carbon pollution. Carbon dioxide is a main greenhouse gas that traps heat, changing the climate. Other states joining the movement to exceed Paris targets include Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Virginia.

>Denver Mayor Michael Hancock and others around the nation have joined the effort, including leaders of small towns such as Wray.

>The alliance’s goal is to boost climate programs, share information and best practices and implement new programs to cut carbon emissions from all sectors of society.

>Hickenlooper’s order set the overall greenhouse gas reduction goal of at least 26 percent by 2025 and also a target of cutting carbon emissions from electricity generation by 25 percent by 2025 and 35 percent by 2030 – measured against 2012 levels. In Colorado, 55 percent to 60 percent of electricity currently comes from burning coal.

>The order commits state agencies to work strategically with utilities on a voluntary basis to maximize use of renewable energy without increasing costs to taxpayers. It calls for a statewide electric vehicle plan by 2018.
>>
>Hickenlooper said Colorado will establish “charging corridors” along highways “to reduce range anxiety” – the fear among electric vehicle drivers that their batteries will die before they reach destinations. “You’ll be able to drive an electric car from Colorado to the Pacific, and from Denver to Moffat County without fear,” he said.

>The Colorado Department of Public Health and the Environment now must develop a system for tracking greenhouse gas emissions, Hickenlooper said. And mining communities affected by a shift away from coal production will receive increased support for training displaced workers and increasing broadband communications connections.

>The order “is not a mandate” with requirements for utilities, Hickenlooper said. “We’re really trying to build a collaborative framework…… These are market forces. This is not government imposing a regime…… This is the future of jobs for our kids and for our grandkids.”

>He said Colorado already has cut greenhouse gas emissions by thousands of tons per year and called such efforts essential to an economy increasingly dependent on a pristine natural environment. “This is our foundation. We want to keep building on it and create jobs that can’t be exported overseas.”

>Environment groups and Democrat lawmakers swiftly applauded the action.
>>
>“A real leadership move,” Western Resource Advocates president Jon Goldin-Dubois said, pointing to climate-driven impacts of droughts and intensifying wildfires that are “daily occurrences here in the West.”

>Colorado Mining Association president Stan Dempsey questioned Hickenlooper’s assertion that shifting off coal as a source of electricity in favor of wind, natural gas and solar sources is a matter of tapping into economic “market forces.” Dempsey pointed out that the booming wind and solar energy industries benefit from federal government subsidies. “The only way this will be done,” he said of meeting the carbon emissions cuts, “is pure muscle – forcing things at the Public Utilities Commission. What coal-fired power plants and electricity generating stations are going to be affected?”

>But fossil fuels industries also benefit from government support, Conservation Colorado director Pete Maysmith countered.

>The Trump administration’s posture against international efforts to slow climate change does not reflect the will of the people and economic momentum in western states, Maysmith said.

>“The nation actually is moving the other direction,” he said. “You now have governors and mayors saying it is wrong to walk away from the Paris agreement.”
>>
God bless Colorado.
>>
Excellent. This is the best way to reduce the reach and scope of the federal government.
>>
>>156326
Finally, a state standing up for small government and states rights. Glad to see this.
>>
>>156409
Not really small government, in fact they're probably making more regulations, albeit at state level.
>>
What the hell is the point of this.
New York City emits more CO2 in one second than Colorado does in a thousand years.
>>
He can start by suspending his own breathing.
>>
>>156463
>What the hell is the point of this.

The introduction of global communism. Didn't you know?

>New York City emits more CO2

Riiight. NYC, the great industrial giant of our time.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>156475
Have you been there you imbecile? The heating and cooling alone consumes more power than all of Germany. Not the mention the tens of millions of cars.
>>
>>156475
>The introduction of global communism.
Amazing to see this much honesty from a democrat. So you faggot Commies finally admit it huh.
>>
>>156477
>Have you been there you imbecile? The heating and cooling alone consumes more power than all of Germany.

A lie. German electrical consumption it's orders of magnitude greater than that of NYC.

> Not the mention the tens of millions of cars.

Another lie. There are eight million residents of NYC. They do not each own several automobiles.

Would you like to bring facts to this discussion or just continue to make shit up?
>>
>>156481
This proves you have never been to NYC. Otherwise you would know that half the state drives there every morning. Increasing the number of vehicles hundred fold.
>>
>>156463
Good point. Dropping Ebola on New York City would do a lot more to fix global warming than this feel good lefty nonsense solar panels.
>>
>>156485
>>>156481 (You)
>This proves you have never been to NYC. Otherwise you would know that half the state drives there every morning. Increasing the number of vehicles hundred fold.

Yet another lie. The majority of commuters travel by rail. If what you claim were true, where would they park?

Do you intend to continue spinning lies?
>>
>>156489
lol if only
the majority don't travel from their house at all because they are sucking on the big city welfare tit
>>
>>156481
Fucking retard. Have you ever seen NYC? I live about 5 hours away and I still know motherfuckers who drive there
>>
>>156496
>>>156481 (You)
>Fucking retard. Have you ever seen NYC? I live about 5 hours away and I still know motherfuckers who drive there

>>156496
>Fucking retard. Have you ever seen NYC? I live about 5 hours away and I still know motherfuckers who drive there

Well at least we don't have another abject lie this time. So you have maybe two anecdotal, self-defined-as-outlier outlier data points, and from that you extrapolate commuter statistics for a major metropolitan area? Yeah. You must be a warmunist.
>>
>>156505
I hope you kill yourself. The world would be a lot better. And just think of the CO2 savings.
>>
>>156511
>I hope you kill yourself. The world would be a lot better. And just think of the CO2 savings.

I regret to inform you that many of your hopes, e.g. my impending suicide, that NYC's reality reflects the fantasy you've constructed, that global warmunism takes hold, that you will convince anyone of your position by using lies and inflated claims instead of provable facts, etc., are unlikely to find fulfillment. I hope you find the ability to cope with this.

Until then, I'd encourage you to continue thinking globally and act locally: join the good governor in holding your breath.
>>
>>156517
Naw. I think I'm gonna go burn some shit now. 2 old tires an a mattress in the backyard that need to be disposed off.
>>
>>156463
>NYC
Isnt even in the top 20 for air pollution in America.
>The State of California
Throw a dart and you have a 50/50 chance to hit a city in the top ten.
>>
>>156539
Hell Colorado isnt even in the top 25. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/most-polluted-cities-in-us-2017-4

What are they going to do? Build dope smoke filters into everyones houses?
>>
>>156545
The most effective way to curb CO2 would be to euthanize all illegals in the state.
Those Mexican farts are something else.
>>
>>156545
They're setting an example for others to follow, something which the federal government could benefit from learning to do.
>>
>>156477
I've got a couple friends from NYC, most have never thought about driving a car until they moved to rural upstate New York.

You don't drive a $35K vehicle when you can take a cheap bus or subway to reach your destination in 5 minutes, not worry about parking, vandalism, gas, breakdowns and regular maintenance. Now if you're living in the suburbs out side of NYC, I'd question why you're driving to as Traffic is a fucking nightmare.
>>
Great Colorado. Two things most threatening to homo sapiens at this point in time:
Nuclear war
Climate change
>>
>>156545
It is not about air polution (toxic gasses, fine dust e.a). It's about CO2 is not toxic to humans, it causes the greenhouse effect.
>>
>>156326
So totally corrupt... I wonder how much foreign money lines his coffers?
>>
>>156695
Bwah-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaa
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.