[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First object teleported to Earth's orbit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 0

Chinese researchers have teleported a photon from the Gobi desert to a satellite orbiting five hundred kilometres above the earth.

This is achieved through quantum entanglement, a process where two particles react as one with no physical connection between them.

Hooke Professor of Experimental Physics at Oxford University Ian Walmsley tells the World At One how quantum entanglement works and how teleportation could be utilised.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-40573621/first-object-teleported-to-earth-s-orbit
>>
That's cool, but I have to warn you guys. If you step into a teleporter, you're gonna die, so never do it. Either the teleporter tears your body apart then reconstructs it elsewhere, which would kill you, or it destroys you and builds a copy of you elswhere. Stay safe.
>>
>>156177
Calm down Reggie
>>
Why didn't American scientists accomplish this before the Chinese did?
>>
>>156188
Because Americans still believe that Global Warming is a myth
>>
>>156177
Death only matters to those that survive, so if you're replaced by a perfect copy it doesn't matter at all.
>>
>>156177
you know I'm familiar with this concept, but for some reason it just clicked to me that this practically grants your immortality.
the only shortcoming being that you lose all memory between the teleportation you choose to regenerate from, and death
>>
>>156245
>this practically grants your immortality
>the only shortcoming being death
>>
>>156188
Chinese have higher average IQ and almost 5 times as many people. You do the math.
>>
>>156177
>Either the teleporter tears your body apart then reconstructs it elsewhere, which would kill you, or it destroys you and builds a copy of you elswhere.
My new body with all of the memories that I had until I was teleported won't care.
>>
>>156273
Your new body isn't you though. There's a new instance of you running around acting exactly the way you would, but you are dead. For some reason I've met a lot of people who seem to be fine with that though, so I guess it's not an issue if you don't mind dying for the sake of transportation.
>>
>>156162
>object
a photon is not an object
>>
>>156282
What makes you say that?
>>
>>156288
What makes you say it is?
>>
>>156282
Umm it maybe tiny but it's still an object it is matter. As for the science behind it this is amazing
>>
>>156306
>it is matter
no it's not
>>
>>156306
>it is matter
Photons have no mass. They are not matter.
>>
>>156276
Legal suicide booths! With no societal repercussions!
>>
>photon
Damn, I read it as proton.
>>
>>156346
If it was a proton there would be a huge buzz. The only thing interesting about this is that it's the Chinese who did it.
>>
>>156349
>The only thing interesting about this is that it's the Chinese who did it.
Don't worry.

A guy in another thread seemed convinced that China is on the brink of collapse.

Their growing technological might is no threat to established world order.
>>
>>156253
>tfw all you had to do to get immortality was to die
That's pretty deep
>>
>>156188
They stole the technology and threw together a working model while the U.S. was too busy arguing over politics.
>>
>>156262
>Chinese have higher average IQ and almost 5 times as many people. You do the math.
higher average IQ than who?
according to what?
>>
>point high powered laser into sky
hey guise I'm teleportong photonz
>>
>>156217
the earth isnt the only planet in our solar system that has been experiencing an uptrend in warming.

go educate yourself you stupid fucking lemming
>>
>>156413
Higher IQ than you according to my fucking left nut
Get a job, faggot
>>
>>156420
Yes but it's the only one that has had such a sharp uptrend in such a short time frame
Read a fucking book you fucking genetically defective mongoloid
>>
>>156276
What IS you? What distinguishes your consciousness from others? What makes you so sure that you were even conscious, or that you existed in the first place? What makes you so sure that your consciousness is an independent thing which exists outside of the external universe? Maybe it doesn't matter whether it's "you" or not, if there is no "self" to begin with. How can you be so sure that you would die? How can you be so sure that this hasn't already happened, or that it does happen, every day, when you rest your head to sleep
>>
>>156364
And a guy in another thread seemed convinced that there is an evil world government controlled by lizards and that Jeb Bush is jesus christ incarnate.
What do YOU believe?
>>
>>156513
>What IS you? What distinguishes your consciousness from others? What makes you so sure that you were even conscious, or that you existed in the first place?
This is some dumb pseudo-existential shit, man. I think, therefore I am. Maybe you aren't conscious, but the very fact that you doubt your consciousness makes it look to me as if you are. You doubt, therefore you think, therefore you are. Of course, it's entirely possible you're a script or something, but I can't make that assumption here.

You is this specific instance of you. You can't be sure that you haven't died innumerable times before, but the fact that this instance of you maintains a consciousness throughout your lifetime is what makes it you. A copy of you is identical to you, but it is not you, just as a copied data file is identical but not the original. The same instance is still running when you sleep, because one of the purposes of sleep is to consolidate memories. Brain activity does not stop, nor do the functions of the instance cease, as the individual does not die. Even if we were to be in a simulation we would still be self-aware. The reason we are not philosophical zombies is that we have the potential to think we aren't philosophical zombies.

Man what's the deal with all these people who have no sense of self? Every time I see the topic of teleportation I see people popping up talking about how you die every time you go to sleep and how that doesn't matter because there is no such thing as consciousness. Not even Calvinists are this bad.
>>
>>156299
I wasn't arguing one way or another, my knowledge on photons is minimal compared to people who know a lot about photons, so I was hoping to get more of your insight as to why and how a photon is not considered an object.
>>
>>156515
>What do YOU believe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHI5NIlD6aU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmwqEg-06Ww
>>
>>156253
it turns death into a technicality
therefore granting you immortality by technecality
now rap battle me
>>
>>156870
aight

That's merely an illusion of everlasting life,
immortality in the most superficial light.

Life has meaning so we wanna live forever,
but there's no prize for denying death altogether.
>>
This is the stupidest thread I've seen in a long time
>>
>>156934
That didn't even rhyme. What a waste of my time!
>>
>>156893
Confucianism and communism have put science on the dole,
Will teleporting humanism disprove the soul?

If far future fantasy can boost ideology, Do roaming photon positions effect our reality?
>>
>>156226
It's my belief that upon death, your consciousness will seamlessly resume within another conscious entity, without you, with the personality and memories of this new entity, even realizing that a few minutes earlier you were this other dude. It has to do with how there's really only one individual in the universe, and all of us are essentially him.
>>
>>156162
Is a photon really an object?
>>
>>156976
Do any virtual particles exist?

Yes. Stop being silly.
>>
>>156217
Only carbon credits shall save us!
>>
>>156177
...or I use the teleporter as a cloning device and take over the universe.
>>
>>156188
Because they have taken over our universities.
>>
Due to their efforts, or a lack of ours? And consider that Asian students/academics form a very small proportion of the US scientific community, as most Asian foreign students go into fields like economics and business studies.
>>
>>157040
>don't mind me. Just teleporting these video games.
>>
>>156946
das deep

*sips marijuana*
>>
>>156177
Spoken like someone who didn't read the article. This is not what they mean by teleportation.

What the article refers to is called "Quantum Teleportation." This is NOTHING like the teleportation any of you are thinking of. It has zero similarity at all to Star Trek-style teleportation, and zero of the the same application.

I suggest starting with:
cosmosmagazine.com/physics/chinese-scientists-teleport-a-photon-to-space
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation
>>
>>156416
no first he shot a mirror into space and then reflected the light off it. thats the magic worth 1.8 billion yuan
>>
>>156750
Mixed feels about this. Mostly just confused. Help me
>>
So, on the thought of the new instance of self while the original dies, let's consider the idea of the soul. If souls indeed are a thing, perhaps one's soul would move directly into the new instance, like you're just changing clothes.

Unfortunately it is terribly unethical to put the theory to practice, even when the tech advances to allow such a thing.

Fascinating to think about though.
>>
>>157321
To elaborate a bit more. It seems to me that an exact genetic copy might be a magnet of sorts, if created put of this instance.

Unlike a clone, you still end up with only one genetic instance in the end. Perhaps the soul would be tricked in a way to inhabit the new instance vessel.
>>
>>157321
Consciousness is a word laypeople use to refer to the soul without sounding religious, so you could consider those words to be synonymous for your argument.
>>
>>156513
I read this in the Vsauce voice.
>>
>>156985
Well not really - not in the way you're imagining it, anyway.

Virtual particles only "exist as particles" when they are made to be detected as such. Otherwise, their physics is best described by them as a "field," like in a "magnetic field" or "gravitational field." Fundamental particles in general are currently best described by fields, but they also have fixed values for things like rest mass, where virtual particles do not (e.g. a virtual photon can be of arbitrary mass depending on what particles it connects in a model -- it's just accounting at that point.)
And a reminder, the quantum teleportation in the article is NOTHING LIKE STAR TREK TELEPORTATION
>>
>>156273
Ship of Theseus.
>>
>>157381
Happens naturally anyway, as cells die.
>>
>>156162
This quotes of entanglement devices are very similar in description to what Orson Scott Card had in his Ender's Game series called the ansible. If they can develop this technology into something useful it will mean real-time communication over distances that have latency due to light speed. First things I could see to benefit greatly from this would be drones off-planet drones survivability would go up hundred-fold
>>
>>157483
Practically they might run into trouble:
If two particles can entangle, then what's to stop a third entangling as well, possibly messing up communications.
Who knows what sort of data cap might be there

Although Orson Scott Card didn't toy with this idea, I wonder if there's any sort of way to introduce a time paradox, just via having FTL communications.
>>
>>157483
No. It. Does. Not.

You cannot transmit information using quantum teleportation or any kind of entanglement. Period. Read the fucking wikipedia article or watch a youtube vid for starters.
>>
>>156416
They're not really teleporting stuff, they just found a new way to move quantum intangled particals further away. The article is misleading
>>
>>157806
Currently it's not known if it's possible.
>>
You guys do know that quantum teleportation is nothing like what we conventionally think teleportation is?

There's no 'beam me up' here, there isn't even faster than light transfer of information.

Lastly a single photon is a fairly simple state to transfer, so whilst it is over a large distance, it's not scientifically astonishing. In terms of US and European groups the effort is being spent on transferring complex states over a few hundred km in free space (i.e., atmospheric conditions), which is equally difficult.
>>
>>157806
Of course you can transfer information, you just need a conventionally transferred ancillary state. So whilst you can transfer a complex state, what you can't transfer is its phase information. There's where no signalling comes in.

>>157826
It's well known, and well understood.
>>
>>156282
It is, and they didn't teleport a photon. Only a propriety of a photon.
There is no object teleportation, it's not possible, end of the story.

>>157048
And that's how teleportation will be banned : piracy of copyrighted content.
>>
>>156226
It matters to me.
>>
>>156226
So if you got a perfect 6 inch copy of adolf hitler that you could keep in your pocket would you kill him?
>>
>>158032
No but I'd fuck with him.
>>
>>157806
I guess reasonable discussion is off the table. Edgelord faggot
>>
>>157819
Someone gib zis man a Nobel!
>>
>>158038
How is a discussion based on a factually incorrect reading of an article "reasonable"? Why is the person who says "this is demonstrably not true" an "edgelord faggot" in a "reasonable discussion"?

You can talk about teleportation and the soul and all that all you like if you repost this on /sci/ or something, but understand it has *nothing* to do with the article or the scientists and science involved.
>>
>>156177
I think that's called The Prestige
>>
>>156162
If china said they did it then its pure fuckin bullshit, theres alway caught lying about stupid shit and this would be up there ally way of the list of lies
>>
>>156162
i did yhe same shit with a flashlight
>>
>>158086
Never once mentioned a soul. The thread is not a single organism communicating with you. Now you are trying to justify swinging your epeen for everyone to witness. Again, you are an edgelord who serves no positive function in this forum.
>>
>>156513

I have always assumed it is the same as any break in consciousness (like sleeping)

as far as I am concerned people "die" every time they sleep

it is only your memories that give you a sense of continuity between events

teleportation (assuming it destroyed the original) would be no different from sleeping

>but then I am not a closet theist that believes there is a soul like many itt are covertly arguing
>>
>>156413
Higher average than whites according to IQ tests and SAT scores. They have higher spatial intelligence and more brain mass.
>>
>>156226
And if it creates a "new" copy of you how does that effect the aging process? Essentially everything in your body would be "new". No?
>>
>>158474
soul = consciousness
>>
>>157047
Winning/losing is always a combination of your own and your opponent's efforts. Having said that, our effort in this field is hardly lacking. Most Asians may enter business/economics programs but they're still more likely to enter STEM programs than other races. Asians make up a minority of the American scientific community because Asians are very small minority of Americans.
>>
As a guy who follows science news a lot, this is certainly a misunderstanding of what actually happened.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.