[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canadian Entertainment Industry Begs Chinese Courts To Censor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: canuckistan.jpg (153KB, 650x562px) Image search: [Google]
canuckistan.jpg
153KB, 650x562px
http://boingboing.net/2017/07/01/shitty-canada-day-gift.html
CORY DOCTOROW
SAT JUL 1, 2017

Canadian entertainment industry begs Chinese courts to censor its movies

The Supreme Court of Canada just handed down a controversial ruling in which it ordered Google to block links to a page that was deemed illegal in Canada for every Google user, everywhere in the world -- asserting that the Supreme Court of Canada's jurisdiction extends to the end of the earth.

Terrifyingly, Canadian entertainment industry execs are celebrating this ruling because they say that it will allow them to get copyright takedown orders in Canada and enforce them everywhere else.

This is nuts.

cont.
>>
>>153786

The idea that any court, anywhere in the world, can decide what gets shown to internet users everywhere else in the world should strike terror into every entertainment exec's heart. What will they do when a Mexican court orders (copyright duration: 100 years) a copyright takedown of the public domain works they've adapted for a movie in the US? What do they do when the Chinese government, which banned the Ghostbusters reboot for "supernatural themes" orders a takedown of the work in Canada? What about when a German court orders a takedown of Mel Brooks's "The Producers" because displaying swastikas is illegal in Germany?

The entertainment industry has historically been a staunch defender of free speech, albeit one with a huge, copyright-shaped blind-spot. This is some next-level self-serving bullshit from that quarter: if Canadian courts can decide which search results get served in Saudi Arabia, why shouldn't a Saudi court get to decide what's shown in Canada?

cont.
>>
>>153787

The digital civil-liberties non-profit, Electronic Frontier Foundation, was far less enthused, noting that the decision could set a precedent for any court worldwide to “edit the entire Internet.” Cory Doctorow, a copyright activist, special adviser to the foundation, and author who’s dealt with the dark side of DMCA take-downs, said that entertainment executives celebrating the ruling “are being especially dangerously shortsighted.”

Lawmakers in countries with long copyright durations, such as Jamaica, could use the principles of the Supreme Court of Canada decision to wrest books out of public domain in other countries, Mr. Doctorow said in an e-mail. Or states with more rigorous censorship laws could impose them on countries with different values.

“Today, you can pay to watch a video of Mel Brooks’s The Producers online,” he said. “But that movie has to be heavily redacted in Germany thanks to that country’s ban on depictions of swastikas, even in parodies. Should German lawmakers get to decide if Canadians are allowed to laugh at Nazis?

FIN
>>
I warned you about global Communism bro
>>
It feels like eu
>>
>>153792
the true liberals are the ones standing against censorship

conservatives don't mind censorship, as long as it's the right kind.

trump himself is threatening to sue CNN simply for negative coverage, and republicans applauded the idea.
>>
>>153786

It's a good thing that judges are mostly old farts who have no comprehension of how the net works
>>
>>153792
>>153792
>I warned you about global Communism bro
Not a communist, but how does incredibly wealthy entertainment executives using their private wealth and connections to lobby governments and censor the internet for their own financial gain equate to communism, or any other leftist ideology?
>>
>>153926
"conservatives" of that definition spread to both ends of the two party system. I know of just as many Democrats would would love to see Fox and Breitbart silenced.

But that's not really the topic in the OP.

This whole Canadian ruling is just as much a threat to internet freedom as the whole net neutrality fiasco.
>>
>>153926

>true liberals

Literally "not real communism"

Conservatives don't mind fake news being silenced, efficient is what liberals constantly push
>>
I want out of this fucking place
>>
>to the end of the Earth
wtf man
i thought we agreed the earth was round
>>
>>154082
It's something I don't like therefore its Liberalism :^)))
>>
>>153926
>the true liberals are the ones standing against censorship

CNN just blackmailed a kid on Reddit over a meme....
>>
>>153792
>>153918
Canada flexes their muscles and the cowardly Yankee quivers.

Taste the sovereign power of the Canadian Supreme Court.
>>
>>153926
>true liberals
It must suck being deluded. good luck to you
>>
>>153786
Should just cut Canada off from Google completely.
>>
>>155053
referring to myself
>>
>>153786
when it really happens 4 Chan will retaliate
>>
>>155142
I am sure Canada is shaking in its boots over the mysterious hacker
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.