[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Passions flare as Turkey excludes evolution from textbooks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: 1479864375797.jpg (72KB, 440x310px) Image search: [Google]
1479864375797.jpg
72KB, 440x310px
"This is bigotry, this is all about being a fanatic. How are they going to teach biology now? How are they going to talk about science?"

On an online forum about the government's decision to exclude the theory of evolution from the national curriculum, a passionate discussion is under way.

"Evolutionary theory is one of the most powerful and fundamental theories in modern science. To describe it as 'controversial' is unbelievable," says one commenter.

Another argues that the theory was not well taught anyhow: "Once the teacher asked us who believed in evolutionary theory. I raised my hand. The teacher said: 'Are you a monkey then?'"

But on Facebook another commenter says: "I want to thank the government for preventing our youth to be poisoned by this rotten and absurd theory. There is nothing more natural than excluding it from the national curriculum."
Turkey's pugnacious president

On Wednesday, the head of the education ministry's curriculum board Alpaslan Durmuş announced that a section on Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution would be excluded from biology textbooks in the ninth grade (14 and 15 year olds) from next year on.

Students are "too young to understand 'controversial subjects'", he said, adding that the topic will be delayed until undergraduate study.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has already approved the proposed changes to the national curriculum, which are expected to be published next week after the Muslim Eid ending the fasting month of Ramadan.

"Turkey will be the second country after Saudi Arabia that excludes theory of evolution from its curriculum," says Feray Aytekin Aydogan, the head of Egitim-Sen - a teachers' union representing over 100,000 members across the country.

"Even in Iran, there are 60 hours of lessons on evolution and 11 hours on Darwin himself," she adds.
'Pious' children
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40384471
>>
The debate on the exclusion of the theory of evolution started early this year, when the draft curriculum for primary and secondary schools was announced.

Other changes include a decrease in the amount of time allocated to the life of Turkey's secularist founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

The changes reportedly were proposed by a conservative teachers union close to the government and the government argues all amendments were publicly discussed and consulted upon.

The secular opposition in Turkey says that Mr Erdogan and the governing party are trying to move the country away from its founding values, and make the society more Islamic and conservative.

Mr Erdogan has already stated several times his goal of raising pious generations and Deputy PM Numan Kurtulmus had once described the theory of evolution as archaic.

Why does Charles Darwin eclipse Alfred Russel Wallace?

Islam acknowledges that God is the creator of everything, Adam was the first man created from clay and Eve was created from his ribs. The theory of evolution is not accepted in religious circles.

"Not only biology, but all classes are to be taught in a more religious context. This new curriculum is to produce very harmful results for our students and the future of this country," argues Feray Aytekin Aydogan.

"Turkey is being redesigned. That is the danger. Our teachers will be protesting out on the street and in the classrooms, they will carry on educating the students according to secular and scientific values no matter what the government does," she says.
>>
According to Wiki, Erdogan shut down fifteen universities in Turkey and suspended 15,200 people from the Ministry of Education, 21,000 teachers and another 5,342 from Turkish universities, far and away the largest segment to have lost their jobs during the purges after the 2016 coup attempt.
>>
If only the USA would follow where they lead.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Evolution
>>
>>152237
Evolutionist BTFO

http://www.conservapedia.com/Evolution#Creation_Scientists_Tend_to_Win_the_Creation-Evolution_Debates
>>
http://www.conservapedia.com/Evolution,_Liberalism,_Atheism,_and_Irrationality

Liberals hate this as much as they hate God.
>>
Damn, imagine being so sensitive and cloistered you tie science itself to the superficial stance of a political party.
>>
>>152239

>Given that liberalism is so prevalent in academia, it is not surprising that college graduates are indoctrinated into the evolutionary paradigm via propaganda (see: Evolutionary indoctrination).

>Despite the lack of evidence for the evolutionary position and its counter evidential nature, atheists and liberals persist in promoting evolutionary ideas.

Any Liberals want to chime in?
Conservatives who want praise Erdogan for his brave actions?
>>
>>152242
Said the guy who believes there are infinite genders
>>
>>152219

i am ok with turkey not teaching evolution. they dont need to know it.
it is working well in USA and Saudi arabia so why bother. fuck elitists and their science.
>>
>>152262
We need people like you at Conservapedia.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Counterexamples_to_an_Old_Earth
>>
>>152262
I went to Catholic School and learned about evolution...
>>
>>152270
>>152270
>I went to Catholic School and learned about evolution...
Trump s going to put an end to this, right?
>>
>>152269
>The motivation for atheists to insist on falsely teaching that the Earth is old is to pull students away from God's immediate presence and to turn them away from Jesus Christ. Atheists are also motivated, and biased, by the fact that their evolutionist theories require the world to be some implausible billions of years old.

How did American conservatives become this great?
It can't just be chance. I think this must be more proof that God is a Christian and probably an American.
>>
>>152270
Catholics are generally accepting of science as a part of "god's plan'. My mom was raised roman catholic and Science was second only to the religion itself.

In other words, Christians are insane.
>>
>>152219
ignoring the fact of evolution is like ignoring their are different kinds of similar species of life like let's say birds or tomatoes, even potatoes, onions you name it!

Ignoring this means the downfall of the quality of your people willing to see that their is more than one truth even if it isn't so favorable. Ignore it and decline or acknowledge it and move on responsibly like a hairless ape with a consciousness.
>>
>>152219
both truths could be correct regardless, as we don't know everything so I don't see the harm of it teach it that way and people would still learn.
>>
>>152308
No, this is not true. You can believe whatever crockshit you want about god creating adam from an unfinished hambone and some playdoh but that doesn't make it true. Evolution is the fundamental basis for all modern biology. Believing something else makes YOU retarded, it doesn't reflect on hundreds of years of scientific research and theory.
>>
>>152297
Wow you sound like a douche lol
>>
>>152269
>>152252
>Falseflagging this hard
0/10 noone cares
>>
>>152297
Basically this. It's why during the"dark ages" Roman Catholicism did things like invent universities, lay the ground work for genetics, challenged the Ptolemy's Almagast, etc, etc.

Yes, there was a lot of political fuckery, but at least since Catholicism adopted Aristotilian philosophy, it claimed itself to be rooted in rational thought.

American "christianity" has all but done away with that rationality and though they will deny it up and down secretly yearn for a theocratic monarchy.
>>
God isnt that bearded guy in the clouds.. He doesnt stare at you in the shower. He built the system. We exist within. All religion is bias. They say Adam was first cause they push male domination, but clearly it was either the chicken or the egg first.. not the rooster. They say Evolution is lies, but clearly we all have eyes... We all got sex from flowers long before animals were in power... Also there is only 2 genders. Anyone else is pretender. I dont care how you identify. You are either an impregnator or impregnatee... We dont dont need words for private sexual practice. vaginasexer buttsexer oralsexer orgysexer... thats your buisness, but your still a male if you remove your sex organs.. It doesnt mean you have to act any type of way... just means you started out as an impregnator.
>>
>>152386
>Also there is only 2 genders
I should let this pass because your rhymed so well.
Up till there you your post was swell.
But gender and sex are not the same.
Sex is biology, gender's a game.

>>152369
can't detect satire/10
>>
>>152390
>Satire
Satire=\=caricature
>>
>>152426
>Satire=\=caricature
This is satire, right?
>>
>we need to teach the controversy about our origins on this planet! You can't just teach evolution!
>unless there's an option to ban teaching evolution altogether and just have creationism that is ;)
Very interesting.
>>
>>152245
I can literally write a computer program with simulated organisms interacting with a simulated world and each other —and, if these simulated organisms have to compete over limited resources, and if they reproduce to create new organisms that are similar to themselves, and if I start the simulation by seeding it with randomly designed organisms —then I will observe evolution taking place as over time, successive generations of the organisms become better and better adapted to the conditions of the simulation.
There is an entire field devoted to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_life
See also, related:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithm
Evolution is very real.
Consider also how dog breeds came into being.
I know, I know, people will say "yes but that is microevolution, that is simulated, but how does an eye or a wing come into being?"
But those arguments have been adequately addressed many many times.
>>
>>152469

I honestly don't get why people deny evolution when you can see the building blocks of it around you. We already know that children inherit traits from their parents, but also that sometimes the kids manifest traits that aren't seen in the parents (recessive traits and mutations). We also know that people, on average, are taller than they were 100 years ago, so a group of people can change over a period of time. From these obvious, easy to grasp evidence you can see how evolution would operate, though obviously on a much longer time scale.

Even on the religious side it doesn't make that much sense. I mean I understand to an extent: it doesn't match up with the story in the bible. However, any biblical scholar acknowledges that the bible is a flawed work created by flawed men and is not the absolute word of god, and as such is open to interpretation or could be wrong. Furthermore, Evolution doesn't nullify or dispute god since it's perfectly reasonable to believe that evolution is a system that he built and can manipulate to do what he wants (the sort of watchmaker theory of god). God is already shown in the bible to control the weather, yet nobody claims that weather forecasts are heretical.

Science is essentially the "how does it work" with religion and philosophy as the "why does it work." Science education should stick to how the universe works and the proper methods to further learn how it works, philosophy and religious education is where the debate over if god is pulling the strings of the universe can happen. Science says that natural selection and a random number machine run evolution, philosophy and religion can go and argue about whether or not god controls selection and the RNG. There's no reason for the latter to be brought up during learning of the former.
>>
The bigger picture here is that these institutions that ban scientific theories really have no understanding of what the scientific method is, or what it posits. Science does not posit "truth," it's merely a collection of theories. These theories are not regarded as facts within the scientific community, they're regarded as a framework for attempting to explain natural phenomena. This framework is constantly revised, expanded upon or even thrown out as new data and new methods of research become available to us. So the theory of evolution that we learn about today may be a radically different (or entirely discredited) theory later down the line.

Religion is different in that it presents itself as infallible and unquestionable. (Aside from the existence of different denominations, which is in itself a controversial topic) Religion posits truths, not theories. One is not allowed to question any of these truths - they must accept them at face value, and incorporate them into one's world view. Science encourages people to question accepted beliefs, be them scientific or religious. Science is not a dogma like religious fundamentalists make it out to be.

Having schools teach scientific theories is not an attempt to sway children toward any particular political or religious position. If you see it any other way, then that says quite a lot about the fragility of your own beliefs, that said beliefs are so easily discredited that they require constant protection and affirmation to spare them from even the slightest scrutiny.
>>
What did cockroaches evolve from?
>>
>>152242

>All races are equal
>Men and women are equal
>More than two genders
>Being gay is "normal"

How can a group of people be this retarded
>>
>>153425
Turks
>>
>>152219
"Once the teacher asked us who believed in evolutionary theory. I raised my hand. The teacher said: 'Are you a monkey then?'"
You say no I'm desended from apes you dumb ass bitch
>>
>>153719
or apes are similar forms, and the true history of hoomans is forgotten by most, hidden by some
wacky fictions we be livin
>>
>>152287
What is carbon dating ?
>>
>>153432
Zionist media
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.