[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yellowstone Hit by a Swarm of More Than 230 Earthquakes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 0

by Hannah Osborne, newsweek.com

> Yellowstone supervolcano has been hit by a series of earthquakes, with more 30 recorded since June 12. The latest was recorded on Monday, June 19, with a magnitude 3 earthquake striking 8.6 miles north north-east of West Yellowstone, Montana.

> The swarm began last week, and on June 15 saw a magnitude 4.5 earthquake take place in Yellowstone National Park. “The epicenter of the shock was located in Yellowstone National Park, eight miles north-northeast of the town of West Yellowstone, Montana,” scientists from the University of Utah, which monitors Yellowstone Volcano, said in a statement.

> This earthquake was the largest to have hit Yellowstone since March 30, 2014, when a magnitude 4.8 earthquake was recorded 18 miles to the east, near the Norris Geyser Basin.

> “[The 4.5] earthquake is part of an energetic sequence of earthquakes in the same area that began on June 12,” the statement continued. “This sequence has included approximately thirty earthquakes of magnitude 2 and larger and four earthquakes of magnitude 3 and larger, including today's magnitude 4.5 event.”

> As of June 16, 235 events had been recorded. Most of these ranged in the magnitude of 0 to 1, with five less than zero.

> The probability of a large eruption at Yellowstone in the next year is currently calculated at one in 730,000.

> But what would happen if it did erupt? In 2014, scientists with the USGS published a report where they modeled what would happen if a large, explosive eruption took place at the supervolcano. Their findings showed most of the country would be covered in a blanket of ash, with some areas being buried up to a meter deep.

http://www.newsweek.com/yellowstone-supervolcano-earthquake-swarm-eruption-risk-627189?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=fb

THEY SAY IT STARTS WITH AN EARTHQUAKE...
>>
>>150838
>> The probability of a large eruption at Yellowstone in the next year is currently calculated at one in 730,000.
I thought it was severely overdue. How did they calculate the odds?
>>
>>150864
Iirc, the timescale for previous outbreaks of the hotspot now under yellowstone was roughly every 750,000years. The last one is believed to have been around 640,000 years ago, so anytime between now and the next 250,000 years an outbreak is pretty much sure to happen. Probability must be higher for about 100,000 years from now.
>>
>>150838

BIRDS AND SNAKES AND AIRPLANES
>>
>>151001

AND LENNY BRUCE IS NOT AFRAID
>>
>>150838
honestly I'd rather have it erupt now. maybe people would stop paying attention to trivial bullshit and focus on the important.
>>
Plant some explosive shit inside of it and try to detonate the whole volcano. Will be fun, I promise
>>
>>150870
>>150864
Remember solar activity affects radioactive elements rate of decay. So what cannot be used for accurate long term dating.
>>
>>151064
Not sure that's true
>>
>>151009
.... you do understand most of humanity will die, if we don't go extinct when this blows right? Nobody is going to be around to "learn a lesson".
>>
>>151235
It takes much more to drive humans to extinction
>>
>>151238
Well obviously we don't know what could since it hasn't happened yet. Yellowstone has the potential though. Which is why I specifically said "if", which if you read the entire post you would notice.
>>
>>150838
> As of June 16, 235 events had been recorded. Most of these ranged in the magnitude of 0 to 1, with five less than zero.
>with five less than zero.
>less than zero
How is this even possible?
>>
>>151064
Pretty sure that is untrue. Why would atoms underground give a shit about electrons and muons that BARELY make it to the surface during the most energetic events? Also particle flux actually goes down after a ground level event (forbusch decrease. Wikipedia it).

Source: I'm a cosmic ray physicist and there is no God.
>>
>>151271
>2017
>not understanding logarithmic scales
>>
Question: What if we used something like tunnel borers to drill down in the magma chamber or whatever to help relieve the pressure? Like, one tunnel for lava to come out of and another to let air in?
>>
>>151235
The precursors of humans on the other side of the world survived it last time. If our ancestors who's greatest cultural achievements consisted of ooga booga and sharp sticks then, some of us will be fine
>>
>>151346
While not all seismic or volcanic activity is of the same type, the "seismic pressure" they refer to is not from a gas or liquid or any kind of substance that will flow into a cavity. In a typical scenario it would be either disjoint solid or amorphous masses that are pressing against each other which, once a tiny movement occurs, sends waves throughout the solid crust (earthquake) and creates enormous heat through surrounding rock which has less pressure upwards, creating some kind of upswell. If the heat melts or vaporizes the rock above it may become a volcano or geyser.
>>
>>151064
It's not true.
t. Went to school in a civilised country.

>>151346
There are 3 main types of volcanoes, but basically there are the ones that just flow liquid lava every now and then (your solution would work, but it pretty much already does that by itself), and the ones that are solid and build up "pressure" forces until it goes boom.
Like when you break a twig, you apply pressure until it start making small crackling sounds and suddenly snaps in a crack noise. There isn't fluid to pour, and these earthquakes are the crackling before it breaks.
Soon.jpg
>>
>>151235
There must be fewer people on Earth if humanity is to sustain itself. Plus, if ol yeller goes off, it will far outdo the extinction and climate change events caused by humans; thus giving us less karmatic baggage with what's to come.
>>
>>151484
Humanity could sustain itself just fine if nobody was raping the planet and each other to try to make it into the 1%

I'm not judging, I'm just saying.
>>
>>151484
>There must be fewer people on Earth if humanity is to sustain itself
We need everyone to be killed by a volcano so that they don't die from unsustainable development!
>>
>>151484
What data is this coming from?

Sounds like something a Globalist elitist group would say right before they enact some sort of state sanctioned genocide
>>
>>151484
>karmatic baggage
>relevant

It's a fucking extinction event.
>>
>>152010

Illuminatus here. A supervolcano or any other extinction event would be overkill.

Over the years that our organization has existed, we've learned that if you want to change the world, you don't use a sword. Instead, you use a scalpel.

My colleagues are currently debating the production of pandemic, but we still haven't been able to agree on what the effects will be.
I am of the opinion that we just need to lower the probability of conception.

Of course, there are many who believe that isn't fast enough.
>>
>>152152
>>>152010
>Illuminatus here. A supervolcano or any other extinction event would be overkill.
>Over the years that our organization has existed, we've learned that if you want to change the world, you don't use a sword. Instead, you use a scalpel.
>My colleagues are currently debating the production of pandemic, but we still haven't been able to agree on what the effects will be.
>I am of the opinion that we just need to lower the probability of conception.
>Of course, there are many who believe that isn't fast enough.

Broofs?
>>
>>152174
Are you serious
>>
>>152177
>>>152174 (You)
>Are you serious
I'm not sure.
I mean, you claimed to be in a group that I'm not even sure really exists, so it'd be pretty cool if you weren't a LARPing faggot.
>>
>>152174
>>152177
>>152180

Niggas. Please do not tell me that you actually took my post as serious.

Ffs. I used the term "Illuminatus" instead of "Illuminati". It's from a fictional book with a title of the same name.

Do you honestly believe someone from such an organization would be stupid enough to talk casually about genophaging the human race on fucking 4chan?

>>tfw when the problem isn't fake news, but gullible and paranoid conspiracy theorists
>>tfw when you really hope such an organization exists to stop such gullible people
>>tfw my life
>>
H-happening?
>>
>>152190
Ah. So you really are just a LARPing fag. Thought so.
I mean this is /news/, you could've just decided to not be gay today, at least not here.
>>
>>152190
What makes me sad is people actually believe that over population is a genuine problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTznEIZRkLg
>>
>>152298
Hans Rosling has a special place in my heart. He has a very thick accent that can be difficult to understand, but his talks are so interesting and he is so funny that it's worth the trouble to try to understand him.
>>
>>150838
pls go off pls go off pls go off i want to see it all fall apart
>>
>>152298
It is.
That guy is just spewing out nonsense optimistic crap. Good if it makes some people feel better I guess.
>>
>>152326
The late Hans Rosling was a medical doctor and professor of international health.

I expect you would just lie if I ask how you were qualified to dismiss what he says as "nonsense optimistic crap" so instead I'll share a longer video which explains in more detail the reality of our global situation and the future we face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FACK2knC08E
>>
>>152326
>>152327
You should watch this mate.
You might learn something.
>>
From one billion in the early 1900s to seven one century later, mostly thanks to fossil fuels and non renewable ressources.

It doesn't take a genius to realise that it is not sustainable.
>>
>>152344
>mostly thanks to fossil fuels and non renewable ressources

If you actually paid attention you would know that reductions in child morality in the developing world are the cause of the recent population growth.

Just watch the fucking video.
>>
I mean, I guess fossil fuels have a part to play in this because they powered the industrial revolution, but it's still a huge leap. It was mostly medical advances. Less children die before becoming adults. It's a numbers game. Poor people only have one opportunity to get ahead and that comes in the form of increasing your income by having their children join the labor force or by having their kids obtain education and better jobs. Either way, poor people gotta make babies. It's like a gamble and the more babies they make, the higher the chances are that they won't all just starve and disappear. Especially since in dirt poor countries, 1 out of every 4 or 5 babies dies before puberty.

Watch the video.
>>
>>152356
>you would know that reductions in child mortality in the developing world are the cause of the recent population growth.

How does that contradict what I said? How was the reduction in mortality rate achieved?

This guy's solution is to make the whole world middle class. It isn't sustainable as we're seeing all over the western hemisphere, most people on the lower rungs are getting poorer and we won't ever go back to the levels of prosperity our parents and grandparents have experienced after the war. How are these people in Mozambique supposed to buy bicycles, build roads, industrialize farming etc if (or rather when) the world economy comes crashing down because of China, the US, EU or God knows what?
And then there are potential ecological disasters on the horizon.

I believe these sort of videos are made to appeal to middle and upper middle class western folks who are relatively well-off and feel bad about poverty and what they rightfully see as a system that can't go on for much longer. Just look at the audience...
>>
>>152372
>It was mostly medical advances.

Achieved thanks to cheap energy to manufacture and deliver supplies, allow people to study and learn to use machinery for +10 years, petrochemicals and so on and on.
>>
>>152374
>mostly thanks to fossil fuels and non renewable ressources.
Which bit of this have I misunderstood?
Or are you saying the fossil fuels are responsible for reduced child mortality?

>>152374
>It isn't sustainable
Not if you envision all the world living like filthy fat Yanks.
>Just look at the audience...
You really are a moron.

>>152375
Fossil fuels were not and are not a prerequisite to medicine.
>>
>>152007
/thread >>152011
>>
I'm not going to give you any (You)s.

Anyways, I don't think what Rosling says is anything like a solution. I think he's just commenting on trends that can be seen because of data. And like I said before, you weren't wrong about the fossil fuels thing, you just didn't bother to connect the two ideas before. Anyways, the middle class is sustainable, if they'd stop trying to live beyond their means. Or if the overtaxation/ politically motivated bs stopped destroying the middle class.

The west has a lot of issues, they aren't caused by increasing population, it's caused by shitty planning and greed.
>>
>>152377
>Or are you saying the fossil fuels are responsible for reduced child mortality?
for the most part they are, just look : more food produced, electricity, goods produced by the industry, running and clean water... can't have all that without burning fossil fuels.

>Not if you envision all the world living like filthy fat Yanks.
yanks or euros, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, it's still too much, and yet if we don't consume so much the economy will collapse (it already is you could argue) and we're back to square one.
There's no solution, the industrial civilisation was fucked from the start, and the more time goes by the more obvious it will be even to the most delusional folks. That's when peoples, countries try to take as much for themselves and fuck everyone else. In this context it is hard to see any sort of meaningful international cooperation continue.

Just enjoy it while it lasts, and don't expect third worlders to ever hop on that train.
>>
>>152379
>I'm not going to give you any (You)s.
And now no one knows who you are talking to or even that you've replied.

At least do it like this

>152378
Kill yourself retard.
>>
If you're too dense or ADD to follow along, it's for the better.
>>
>>152379
>the middle class is sustainable, if they'd stop trying to live beyond their means

that's a funny sentence, if the middle class stopped "living beyond its means", it would disappear, plain and simple.
Are you aware we need debt to keep the game going?
>>
Maybe my judgment is clouded by my desire to see it all fall apart. I mean, I'm gonna die either way, so I'd at least like to die laughing at all the greedy people squirming. Careful, my edge is showing.
>>
>>152380
>more food produced, electricity, goods produced by the industry, running and clean water.
And yet in rural African the population continues to grow despite having few of those things.
>yanks or euros, it doesn't matter
The numbers disagree. Look them up. Here's some to get you started. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita
>Just enjoy it while it lasts, and don't expect third worlders to ever hop on that train.
Your 'give up we're doomed' attitude is cancer. If everyone one took this position we really would be fucked.

>>152382
Could have been directed at any number of posts.
Note that I didn't actually disagree with you.
>>
>>152389
>And yet in rural African the population continues to grow despite having few of those things.
They're plugged into the system, not as much as we are obviously but still. And so is the whole world, save for a few isolated tribes of hunter-gatherers and even then I'm not so sure.
They have the birth rate of XVIIIth century europe with the mortality rate of the first half of the XXth century, or something along those lines... so of course the population's going to increase.

>The numbers disagree. Look them up.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say there.
>>
>>152399
>They're plugged into the system
Tell that to the kids that walk to collect water.

>yanks or euros, it doesn't matter
It matters. If we all lived like the average American the world would be in real trouble.
They don't even realise how wasteful their society is and often seem to think any change would mean a reduction to their standard of living.
Meanwhile there are countries in Euro that are less wasteful yet have a better standard of living.
Britain isn't much better. The country is full of idiots who don't understand what a sell by date actually means.
>>
>>152409
>They don't even realise how wasteful their society is and often seem to think any change would mean a reduction to their standard of living.
Meanwhile there are countries in Euro that are less wasteful yet have a better standard of living.
It's true, but once again... it hardly makes a difference.

>Tell that to the kids that walk to collect water.
these kids indirectly benefit from "business as usual" in developed nations. I am NOT implying their overall situation is good but one thing is for sure: it would be MUCH worse if it all came to an end because of some economic crash or something (think of that guy's bicycle for instance, the materials that go into building and repairing it, shipping them...). We have built an interconnected and extremely precarious system, another financial crisis might kill off these mozambique people's hopes for good.

If you want to believe that it's going to get better and we will work it all out then good for you but it's an unrealistic expectation.
>>
>>152423
>If you want to believe that it's going to get better and we will work it all out then good for you but it's an unrealistic expectation
If their was less human baggage telling us things can't be fixed maybe we could manage it.
>>
>>152427
good will can only do so much, especially when the so called solutions are inefficient scams like the renewable energies and electric vehicles...
>>
What? How is solar energy a scam? The sun is real, we collect the energy from the sun to make electricity, what part is a scam?

Electric vehicles aren't a scam. Some of the legal babble is dubious. Some of the grants issued to electric vehicle manufacturers need to be better explained, but it's not a scam. Things aren't scams just because you don't like them.
>>
>>152152
Take your RPing back to >>>/x/
>>
>>150838
earth is finally showing some power. i hope we go through a huge disaster
>>
>>152015
and we deserve t die because we forgot to Bring the Dinosaurs into Noah's Arc.
>>
>>152389
>And yet in rural African the population continues to grow despite having few of those things.

Of Course it's gonna grow yo idiot you know how trucking low Africa's population was and still technically is? It's gonna grow regardless because the population will grow as a country will develop and in most countries the fertility rates are decreasing despite the autistic doomsayers.
>>
>>152377
>Fossil fuels were not and are not a prerequisite to medicine.

You need fossil Fuels to deliver the medicine and to expand the range of food shipping. Also you need fossil fuels to study past 5:00pm which contributes a ton to school achievement. Also all the shit fuel can let you do.
>>
trips for final eruption
>>
>>153334
Off by ONE
>>
>>152383
Debt is was breaks the game.
Stop recalling things you read. They're wrong.
>>
>>152931
>Also you need fossil fuels to study past 5:00pm
I guess all those whales died to make lamp oil for nothing.

This thread is a great example of denier lies and the distractions they use to make you think that there are bigger problems.
>>
>>150838
Is it happening yet?
>>
>>150838
Ya well idk let's roll the dice but how many cubes of the numbered sugar am I holding in my palm?
>>
>>151284
>there is no God
Truth and lie. Mmmmm.

On topic:
Unless there's a big bulge in yellows pants, there's no need to worry.
>>
>>152152
If the reduced probability is permament, it might cause an actual extinction even by itself. That kind of manipulation is dangerous at best.

A carefully placed pandemic in poorer societies (i.e. the ones that are a massive cash drain for civilized countries) would be better IMO.
I got a solid list of places that we're better off without somewhere in my head.
>>
>>152174
Deus Ex is a pretty cool guy.
>>
>>158150
Meant for >>152152
>>
For the past 30 years, libtards have been saying that we only have 5 years left to save the planet

Think about that for a minute.

Global Warming versus the volcano....

Laughing my ass off!
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.