[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

U.S. student held prisoner by North Korea dies days after release

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 1

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-northkorea-detainee-idUSKBN19A2TW
An American university student held prisoner in North Korea for 17 months died at a Cincinnati hospital on Monday, just days after he was released from captivity in a coma, his family said.

Otto Warmbier, 22, who was arrested in North Korea while visiting as a tourist, had been described by doctors caring for him last week as having extensive brain damage that left him in a state of "unresponsive wakefulness."

"Unfortunately, the awful torturous mistreatment our son received at the hands of the North Koreans ensured that no other outcome was possible beyond the sad one we experienced today," the family said in a statement after Warmbier's death at 2:20 p.m. EDT (1820 GMT).

His family has said that Warmbier lapsed into a coma in March 2016, shortly after he was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor in North Korea.

Physicians at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, where he died, said last Thursday that Warmbier showed no sign of understanding language or awareness of his surroundings, and had made no "purposeful movements or behaviors," though he was breathing on his own.

There was no immediate word from Warmbier's family on the cause of his death.

The circumstances of his detention in North Korea and what medical treatment he may have received there remained a mystery, but relatives have said his condition suggested that he had been physically abused by his captors.

The University of Virginia student and Ohio native was arrested, according to North Korean media, for trying to steal an item bearing a propaganda slogan.

North Korea released Warmbier last week and said he was being freed "on humanitarian grounds."

The North Korean mission to the United Nations was not available for comment on Monday.

U.S. President Donald Trump issued a statement offering condolences to the Warmbier family and denouncing "the brutality of the North Korean regime as we mourn its latest victim."

>>
>>150704

The president drew criticism in May when he said he would be "honored" to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

"If it would be appropriate for me to meet with him, I would absolutely, I would be honored to do it," Trump said in the interview. "If it's under the, again, under the right circumstances. But I would do that."

The student's father, Fred Warmbier, said last week that his son had been "brutalized and terrorized by the Pyongyang government and that the family disbelieved North Korea's story that his son had fallen into a coma after contracting botulism and being given a sleeping pill.

Doctors who examined Otto Warmbier after his release said there was no sign of botulism in his system.

Warmbier was freed after the U.S. State Department's special envoy on North Korea, Joseph Yun, traveled to Pyongyang and demanded the student's release on humanitarian grounds, capping a flurry of secret diplomatic contacts, a U.S. official said last week.

Tensions between the United States and North Korea have been heightened by dozens of North Korean missile launches and two nuclear bomb tests since the beginning of last year in defiance of U.N. Security Council resolutions. Pyongyang has also vowed to develop a nuclear-tipped intercontinental ballistic missile capable of hitting the U.S. mainland.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the United States holds North Korea accountable for Warmbier's "unjust imprisonment" and demanded the release of three other U.S. citizens still held by Pyongyang - Korean-Americans Tony Kim, Kim Dong Chul and Kim Hak Song.

Korean-American missionary Kenneth Bae, who spent two years in North Korean captivity before his release in 2014, expressed sadness at Warmbier's death, calling it an "outrage."

"I cannot understand what the Warmbier family is feeling right now. But I mourn with them, and I pray for them," Bae said in a statement, noting three Americans and a Canadian are currently detained in North Korea.

>>
>>150705
Young Pioneer Tours, the group with which Warmbier traveled to North Korea, will no longer be organizing tours for U.S. citizens to the isolated country, Troy Collings, a company director, said in a statement.
(that ends the reuters article)
Other sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Warmbier
"What did North Korea do to Otto Warmbier? The Australian (archive due to flaky website): http://archive.is/xVrWY
>>
>>150706
>one retard fucks up
>the tour group decides to disband
>>
>>150711
>disband
No,
>>150706
>no longer be organizing tours for U.S. citizens
More sources: http://time.com/4824670/north-korea-otto-warmbier-kim-jong-un-torture/
>And it has augmented existing calls for a blanket travel ban on U.S. citizens visiting the regime of Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un, which still has three Americans — Kim Dong-chul, Kim Sang-duk and Kim Hak-song — in detention.
http://www.news18.com/news/travel/young-pioneer-tours-stops-north-korea-trips-for-americans-1437951.html
>Young Pioneer Tours Stops North Korea Trips For Americans
>The tour agency that took US student Otto Warmbier to Pyongyang said on Tuesday it would stop taking Americans to the reclusive state after the 22-year-old died following 18 months in North Korean detention.
>The agency based in the Chinese city of Xian was founded in 2008 by a British expat with a motto of taking adventurous travellers to "the places your mother wants you to stay away from" including the North and Iran
(travelers from many other nations travel on these tours)
>>
Fu*k these american retards. The guy was like 'i'll go to North Korea, the fu*king most crucial country in the world, and will steal propaganda sh*t, that they respect more than anything else, nothing wrong can happen'
>>
>>150719
>Libs like to justify the legal abuses of foreign dictatorships and Islamic theocracies because they're moral relativists - remember that folks
>>
>>150719
fuck you
>>
What was preventing him from buying a piece of propaganda that undoubtedly is sold on the streets of North Korea? I don't like the veneer of innocence cast over the story, like he was the unknowingly victim of an oppressive regime. As much as I dislike the North Korean state, if you are willingly travelling in that country you should respect the rules or get your shit kicked in in prison. It is sad that he passed, but it ultimately falls back on him for failing to apply common sense.
>>
>>150734
Noones disagreeing that it was dumb to put himself in the situation

It sounds fucked to say "oh he should know they were going to abuse him till he died" basically sounds like oh that girl shouldn't have gone to that party wearing that outfit, of course you'd get raped
>>
>>150735
That's a false analogy. Wearing clothing to a party is not the same as knowing you will go to prison in one of the most oppressive regimes in the modern world, one that gives zero fucks about human rights. Like I said before, it is unfortunate that he died, but the tone of moral impunity the media treats him with is a little disingenuous, and articles that mention it at all it is in passing. That's all I'm saying; most news outlets try to make it seem like he "didn't do nothing".
If you can't do the time, don't steal the sign.
>>
>>150737
Did he know he would go to prison?
>>
>>150719
>North Korea, the fu*king most crucial country in the world
>most crucial
>North Korea
>crucial
>fu*king
>*

I don't often accuse anons of being obtuse Reddit immigrants but holy shit.
>>
>>150719
>censoring your naughty words on a mongolian wallpainting blog
>unironically defending North Korea
>North Korea, the fu*king most crucial country in the world
Tell Kim he can go fu*k himself :^)
>>
>>150738
If he committed theft, I am sure he was aware of the risks and potential consequences. I am not sure how he expected to get the alleged sign out of the country anyway.
>>
>>150836
Tell that to travon, nigga shoulda known he wuz about to get shot
>>
>>150837
Come on man, this is weak.
>>
>>150836
>I am sure he was aware of the risks and potential consequences.

So then, just like the slut who goes to the basketball team's house party and gets gang raped?
>>
>>150836
Victim shaming is not cool, man
>>
>inb4 warmbier tried to hang himself

if he did attempt it the norks would have said so because it wouldve strengthened their position in washing their hands of this. They fucked up; not like NK doesnt have a proud history of doing that.

I sure hope NK gets bombed to shit within my lifetime; maybe it will do them some good like Japan.
>>
>>150836
You realise that Satan will never pay you for the advocacy you provide?
>>
>>150704
Lesson learned? Don't be a childish douchebag and try to steal a Nork propaganda flag deep in enemy territory. Holy fuck people.....
>>
>>150911
Good work by korea to teach this uppity white trash cracka his p's & q's...it was funny watching him bawl & throw a hissy fit all the way to his death lol
>>
>>150730
Nigga what
Every conservative and their mom on here was defending the arms deal with Saudi Arabia, and the article even said Trump mentioned how much of an honor it would be to meet with Kim Jong Un.
Don't be such a partisan toadie.
>>
>>150898
>bombing NK
Literally 99% of the population is innocent, also it's like three cities at most that run the show.
Any other invading army would make them surrender within hours, they're weak.
The population would probably help kill the national army.
>>
>>150911
And that justifies being sent to a work camp and beaten into a coma? Buddy you have issues if you think this is more than a simple week in a cell and a fine type of crime
>>
>>150719
that's a h*ck of a lot of bad words mister
>>
>>150911
I thought his family said that the Koreans made up a bogus story about him getting a used car or 10k from an acquaintance if he brought it back to the US with him, anyone know more about that?
>>
>>151010
>And that justifies being sent to a work camp and beaten into a coma?

>just two threads up fucking americunt police killed pregnant woman for calling a help

top kek. i dont even know how to rub a dick into your face better than that.
>>
maybe Warmbier semi-successfully tried to hang himself, like many prisoners around the world actually do? no oxygen for brain --> coma

no really, why doesnt this possibility show up on google?
>>
>>151052
Different stories pal. Surely you're intelligent enough to distinguish the contexts between them.
>>
>>151075
I mean we can't see the autopsy/biopsy reports, and the North Koreans likely didn't do medical checkups with records. It's a possibility but so is heavy torture, which norks at least have a history of doing.
>>
>>150911
>black kid pulls a knife on a cop, he gets shot

He could have tazered him! Why did he shoot him????
>>
>>151076
>Different stories pal.

yahh sure shit.. go take your dollar from agent smith.
>>
I'm sorry, I'm as Right-wing as they come, but even I have to admit, what Otto did was retarded.

Would you hold a Gay Pride parade in Tehran?

If no, why would you think you'd survive stealing or defacing Supreme Leader propaganda in North Korea? He's literally their god there.

Both open homosexuality in Iran and defacing the Supreme Leader's name in DPRK are high-level political attacks worthy of death in those countries because that's how those regimes maintain order. What DPRK did to Otto was inexcusable, but it's still their policy and Otto wasn't being anywhere close to compliant with DPRK law. He had it coming. Didn't deserve it, but it's what is to be expected when you do that shit.
>>
>>150735
Wearing a tiny dress to a bar is no where near the same as looking at:

> communist dictatorship
> ruled with an iron fist
> has labor death camps
> for the last few decades is renowned world wide as being the most brutal torturers
> ruler kills his family members with AA guns
> ruler releases propoganda stating Americans are literally in league with the devil and shows his nuclear bomb targets of major US cities

All that. And you go there as a tourist. What else? Visiting Taliban Afghanistan wearing hacidic Jewish garb? Walking through Mogadishu carrying bags of gold? Covering yourself in blood and jumping into a tiger enclosure.

Some people are just too dumb to live. Its not their fault, it's usually the parents protecting them too much to the point that they don't understand danger as adults.
>>
>>151010
You seem to think that your country's laws are in any way comparable to NK. People im different countries do things differently. The only person this little faggot and his family have to blame is themselves being naive and intolerant of NK culture. Check your privileges, shitlords.

Captcha: tourist epping
>>
>>151052
Giving a ticket on suspicion of abuse which can be dismissed in court is somehow equivalent to a blatant violation of human rights? Come the fuck on.
>>
>>151222
What if it was your son who ended up in this mess? What if it was you?

Screw ups can happen in spite of the best laid plans. Do you honestly believe people (and yes, that includes you) deserve misfortune when it happens, no matter what the cause?
>>
>>151298
I'm surprised you can still see what you're still typing through all that straw. Do you not see how inappropriate it is to shoehorn your anti-left politics into this tragedy? Can you see it doesn't prove your point at all?
>>
>>151305
For the sake of argument let's assume my son would do that.

Okay, I would still feel the exact same way 100%. The same way I spent months telling my brother the army sucks ass and now he is counting the days until he gets out after nearly dying twice to friendly fire.

Wisdom is looking at others mistakes when making plans. Any travel to Korea should include a moment when you all yourself "what's the worst that can happen" (I'm murdered by Korean military for being a cia spy) and is this trip worth taking that risk?
>>
>>151306
>Everyone should be free to do what they please wherever they want unless I disagree with it.
>>
>>151306
Disregard the end of my post and re-read the beginning. He made his own decision to put himself at risk, knowing full well of the terrible consequences. He would atill be alive if he hadn't made such a bad choice.
>>
>>151305
yes, that's true, but the best laid plans never involve going to north korea without a decent amount of the combined army air force and army behind in front or around you.

the lesson here is: never put yourself at the mercy of an enemy if it can be avoided. walking into the lion's den without a unit of specops with you is a dumb idea.
>>
>>151358
Here here
>>
>>150719
wew
>>
>>150839
last week
>>
>>150704
So for real, what did they do to him? Did they drug him up MK ultra style trying to make a sleeping agent but failed miserably?
>>
>>150735
It sounds fucked and it's a travesty that a young man was turned into a vegetable for nothing more than the DPRK's contention that he stole a poster(a crime which may be fabricated), but our anger over the injustice against Warmbier and rightful demand for retribution, should not blind us from the fact that before NK committed this injustice, Warmbier should have anticipated that NK would commit such an injustice before putting himself in that situation. If not torturing, killing him, or harming him in any other way, then the the event of them imprisoning him based on nothing more than their dictatorial whim should have crossed his mind.

This means that Warmbier had a responsibility to the United States not to go to NK in the first place, if his expectation in the event of his imprisonment was to have his release secured through diplomatic talks and negotiations, which often end up in the US simply bribing the DPRK for millions of taxpayer dollars, if not the resources of other countries sympathetic to the plight of people imprisoned in NK. It is very costly.

Given the history of NK, noone should go there on a whim unless they are specifically backed by a government, which, should those people with backing come to harm, military action against NK is almost certain, deterring the DPRK from committing such injustices as in the case of Warmbier. They obviously wouldn't imprison someone like Bill Clinton.

Therefore, while I feel sorry for Warmbier, it must be said that he was either a fool or selfish, not even going there on at least a noble pretense like smuggling out photos of victims of starvation or smuggling in human rights literature to help summon the will of North Koreans to fight against their tyrannical government.

What's more, the attempt of his father and news outlets like Fox news to blame his son's treatment and death on Obama is a sick use of a tragedy for nothing more than a cheap attempt to damage the prior administration.
>>
>>151372
He probably tried to kill himself and wound up in a vegetative state from lack of oxygen. As far as what's been said since he was returned to the US nothing about him physically suggests any abuse/torture.
>>
>>151403
cont. from >>151403
His father should be thoroughly rebuked by his countrymen for heaping blame on the Obama administration for not doing more, when focusing especially on Warmbier's case would be an injustice to other Americans also trapped in North Korea who the state department has actively worked to release. It is a disgrace that Warmbier's father would not focus his criticism on NK, his own failure as a parent for not instilling a sober temperament in his son, and not criticising a culture that enables such risk.

Somehow, it has become cool to go to NK. Whether it's people like Dennis Rodman going there as a 'goodwill ambassador' or youtubers like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmCpTzA6SKc , who I'm SURE were not paid by the DPRK, Warmbier's case should serve as a rebuke against not just NK, but anyone who goes there for frivolous purposes.(I am not saying that it is necessarily wrong for a journalist, human rights activist, etc, but again these people accept the risk for a just cause.)
>>
>>151404
Kenneth Bae was convicted of an arguably worse crime of trying to topple the DPRK government using christianity as a tool. Despite this, he spoke that he was treated quite "well" in the two years he spent there (doctor's visits for example). He just had to follow the prison camp's rules. Maybe Otto didn't follow the program or did try to kill himself like you mention.
>>
>>150738
he really should have considered the possibility. he should have considered the possibility that even going there would put him in that situation whether he followed all the rules or not. but he was 21 years old and lead a charmed life, I don't think he could have comprehended the ways in which things could go terribly wrong

I think it's possible he didn't do it, I think it's possible he did, I think it doesn't matter. North Korea enie-menie-minie-moed a hostage for some greater political purpose, and then fucked up somehow in ways we may never know

what I'd like to know if anyone here knew warmbier, I'd just like to hear some gossip on what he was really like
>>
>>151335
I can't stop anyone from replying whether I want to or not, so don't feed me that fucking canard. But I can write to disagree with your bad taste, and you can't stop me either.

That's free discourse, and if you can't handle that, then you might need a hugbox more than you think. Probably more than I do.

>>151338
>>151358
>>151308
I understand your points, but consider that traveling to foreign countries is a risk in itself, because you're going to stand out as a foreigner. That automatically marks you as a likely target for crime or violence.

Precaution is good, and North Korea should ideally be struck off the travel map. However, I just want to tell you that there are variables that are completely out of your reach, including the intent of strangers.
>>
>>151875
I think people are pissed because a. North Korea should have been bomb fucked years ago and they continue to get away with bullshit like this and b. The crime doesn't match the punishment, and people are justifying it using relativism

If North Korea has literally any sense they would have turned him over. Now people are even more agitated and frankly the crimes they commit on a daily basis against humanity, they can get fucked
>>
>>150719
I know right! What a fr*cking cr*tin!
>>
Welp an American died and its getting attention from the president. I hear war drums...
>>
>>150704
dumb college kid goes sight seeing in north korea.
it's north korea's fault he got fucked up.
muricans really value education huh.
>>
>>150704
>U.S. President Donald Trump issued a statement offering condolences to the Warmbier family and denouncing "the brutality of the North Korean regime as we mourn its latest victim."
>denouncing "the brutality of the North Korean regime as we mourn its latest victim."

Yet he has nothing to say about Saudi Arabia, the same totalitarian terrorist state that funds Al-Qaeda & caused 9/11, instead making a multibillion dollar weapons deal to back the regime up, fucking hypocrite.
>>
>>152221
When was the last time Saudi Arabia kidnapped and tortured an American citizen?
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.