[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

company buying teenager blood from blood banks to sell to rich people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: Vice-Tonic1514.jpg (46KB, 1050x590px) Image search: [Google]
Vice-Tonic1514.jpg
46KB, 1050x590px
It might sound like science fiction, or a recent episode of "Silicon Valley," but a start-up called Ambrosia is charging $8,000 for blood transfusions from young people.

About 100 people have signed up to receive an infusion, founder Dr. Jesse Karmazin said Wednesday at the Code Conference.

Anyone over age 35 can become an Ambrosia customer, said Karmazin, but most of the early adopters tend to be of retirement age. He also stressed that it's a range of people, and not just Bay Area technologists, who have signed up.

The donated blood typically comes from teenagers, although anyone under age 25 is eligible. The company buys its supply from blood banks, which also sell blood to pharmaceutical companies. So high-schoolers donating their blood are not aware that it might be used on healthy adults.

Speaking to a roomful of technologists, Karmazin explained that the company does not claim that it can cure aging. Instead, he's hoping to recruit hundreds more people to research whether the transfusions can help fight particular symptoms associated with aging. Traditionally, biological aging hasn't been treated as a disease, which makes it challenging to study.

Karmazin said those who have signed up have seen some positive benefits and haven't reported any negative ones. Blood transfusions come with a variety of risks, including allergic reactions.

Karmazin started the company after reviewing research into whether injecting older mice with the plasma portion of young ones can improve memory. Other so-called parabiosis studies went a step further in connecting older and younger animals so that their blood mingles.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/31/blood-transfusions-from-teenagers-start-up-charging-8000-apiece.html
>>
These studies are far from definitive, and scientists have spoken out about the ethics of such a study, which they see as taking advantage of the public's excitement and lacking much evidence. But the concept has seen a recent resurgence in interest because well-known Silicon Valley investors like Peter Thiel have spoken out about its promise.

But that does not mean Thiel gets teenage blood transfusions, said Karmazin, a graduate of Stanford Medical School. Karmazin stressed that Thiel is not an Ambroisa customer — and to his knowledge, Ambrosia is the only U.S. company on the market.

"Of course, it's possible he could have gone abroad," Karmazin shrugged. "But I haven't heard anything about that."

Thiel didn't immediately reply to a CNBC request for comment.
>>
>>148548
Fuckin wierd voodoo science for desperate rich people
>>
>>148548

lol the american hero Rockefeller had 8 people killed so he can use their hearts. using children blood is not new. there are jew beauty faarms in israel, which will pump you full with DNA core cells and blood to keep you 20 years younger.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4331804/Billionaire-philanthropist-David-Rockefeller-dies-age-101.html
>>
>>148565
I hope you're joking, given the fact that World News Daily wrote that as satire.
>>
>$8,000
I'll just stick with the old fashioned way of getting young blood.
>>
>>148584
It's not the kind of news the MSM would run even if it was real
>>
Thiel is a douchebag and I'd be inclined to think twice about donating blood if I knew it were going to keeping him alive longer.
>>
>>148605
what if he paid you?
>>
>>148548
>Daybreakers (2009)
>>
"The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish"

-Charlie Chaplin, "The Great Dictator"
>>
let's get some young gay black men donating blood to these wealthy jews
>>
>>148548
>a start-up called Ambrosia is charging $8,000 for blood transfusions

I don't want to make assumptions without knowing the full details of the startup, but if they are pocketing real profit from this it could easily be considered a violation of federal and international law on organ trafficking, even if the money was funneled right back into nonprofit research or something.

But from a friend who works at a blood bank, $8000 seems like a reasonable ballpark figure for a startup price of a transfusion of a half-pint or so into a healthy person (the base price of blood is about iirc 2k, but then each individual must add infrastructure, testing, and insurance; finally the company must try to recoup its startup costs despite a rather small customer base).

>Karmazin started the company after reviewing research into whether injecting older mice with the plasma portion of young ones can improve memory.
That's a long way from human studies, and this company isn't running double-blind placebo-controlled trials, so its reports are going to be useless.
>>
>>148548
I wonder why.
https://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v20/n6/full/nm.3569.html

But worry not. Safe haven of real research Berkley University claims it to be bollocks.
http://news.berkeley.edu/2016/11/22/young-blood-does-not-reverse-aging-in-old-mice-uc-berkeley-study-finds/

Im off but someone should maybe look into a possible connection because if i were workingfor ambrosia i would seek to keep blood prices low over good publicity as it obviously targets a wealthier clientel willing to at the very least give it a shot if desperate enough.
>>
People should be allowed to sell their blood. The ban on being paid for donations is stupid
>>
>>148548
> The company buys its supply from blood banks, which also sell blood to pharmaceutical companies. So high-schoolers donating their blood are not aware that it might be used on healthy adults.
So let me get this straight, blood banks are allowed to take donated blood someone gave so that it could go to hospitals, and sell it to rich shits with some weird kink? The thing that annoys me the most is that this demand from wealthy patrons is going to drive up the prices of blood and make it more difficult for the hospitals who actually need it to save people's lives.
>>
>>149973
>the ban on being paid for donations is stupid
its not a ban retard, its a symptom of the definition of donation.
>>
>>150076
Why would you give people your blood for free when they rather sell it than to just use it for people in need?
They make way more money than you get as compensation. If there would be no money involved for the donor, there would be way less people donating and thus far less blood.

Everyone profits from it, the donors profit the least tho.
>>
>>150098
thats not what i mean you dipshit. if you donate it you dont receive compensation because if you do thats selling it.

but to actually argue for a ban against selling organs. whats stopping you from selling a lethal amount?
>>
>>150098
Because anyone can then harvest you, let you die and tell the cops "oh gee wizz, he said I can have all his blood if I paid him"
... And legal battles n shiet
>>
>>149978
Free market bro, regulations would be communism.
>>
>>149973
Blood banks wouldn't pay for donations regardless. I talked to a biologist-epidemiologist at one who explained it to me: the people regularly selling blood in the past have been a ridiculously high percentage of drug addicts and thus would pretty much require either pre-testing every donor or throwing out almost every batch (a batch is about 100 donors' blood worth that's mixed and tested), both crazy-expensive prospects even if you don't pay the person until after testing, even when a pint of blood is worth like $500.
>>
>>150163
I'm not sure you're serious, but regulations would be regulations. All capitalist societies have them. The market forces are exactly what would seem to create a problem here if the demand for blood rises and this ends up putting strain on hospitals who still need to buy blood for real medical uses.
>>
>ambrosia
Stick with the Prod.
>>
>>150243
We are so fucked. This is the beginning of the end.
>>
>>150190
Sounds like total horseshit. Plenty of countries pay people by the pint.
>>
>>150243
What a shame
>>
>>150243
Old men, running the world.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.