[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Zealand company enters the space race with private launching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

>Rocket Lab's 'Electron' Marks First Orbital-Class Launch From a Private Pad

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/news/a26638/rocket-lab-launches-electron-rocket-first-flight/

>Rocket Lab, a California-based spaceflight company with its roots in New Zealand, just launched its two-stage Electron rocket for the first time. The small launch vehicle successfully lifted off from Rocket Lab's Launch Complex 1 on the Mahia Peninsula of New Zealand at 12:20 a.m. ET on Thursday May 25—4:20 p.m. New Zealand time. The successful liftoff marks the first time an orbital-class rocket has been launched from a private launch facility.

>"It has been an incredible day and I'm immensely proud of our talented team," said Peter Beck, CEO and founder of Rocket Lab, in a press release. "We're one of a few companies to ever develop a rocket from scratch and we did it in under four years. We've worked tirelessly to get to this point. We've developed everything in house, built the world's first private orbital launch range, and we've done it with a small team."

>However, the test payload itself "didn't quite reach orbit." Rocket Lab is investigating the cause, and the company's engineers in Los Angeles and Auckland will be sifting through data from the launch in the coming weeks.

>Rocket lab has two more test flights planned for the Electron this year. On the second launch, the company will focus on getting its payload to orbit as well as increasing the payload size. The company says it wants to launch about 50 rockets a year at full production, and it has already signed contracts with customers like NASA and Moon Express.

>>
>The Electron rocket stands about 56 feet tall and puts out around 36,000 lbs. of thrust from its nine oxygen-kerosene "Rutherford" engines. That makes the rocket significantly smaller than a SpaceX Falcon 9, which stands as tall as 260 feet and can put out as much as 1,710,000 lbs. of thrust. But the market for smaller satellites that only weigh a couple hundred kilograms and cubesats the size of shoeboxes is increasing steadily. Rocket Lab hopes to get its prices as low as $5 million per launch, providing an alternative to ride-sharing for hundreds of customers who want to launch smaller payloads.

>The launch is a big step for Rocket Lab, which is the first company to build its own orbital-class rocket as well as its own launch facility. If the next two test launches go off without a hitch, we might see Rocket Lab fly their first Electron carrying a commercial payload before the year is out.
>>
>>143282
That's real fucking Neato

Bit of a shame I probably won't live to see Space become the actual next frontier

Hopefully my grandchildren will
>>
>>143282
Holy Koala Rocket Batman
>>
>>143282
Good. The more the better.
>>
>>143282
Must be easier when you're living upside down.

Happy for them. Sad for my Polandball.
>>
>>143328
More space players. Yay!
More aerospace. Yay!
More satellites. Yay!
More rockets. Yay!
More space debris and pollution. Yay...
>waitwut?!
>>
>>143282
what are they sending up there? cows? hahahaha
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.