[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Swedish prosecutor says to drop Assange investigation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 2015612.jpg (181KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
2015612.jpg
181KB, 960x640px
Swedish prosecutors said on Friday they would drop a preliminary investigation into an allegation of rape against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on Friday, bringing to an end a 7-year legal stand-off.

"Chief Prosecutor Marianne Ny has today decided to discontinue the preliminary investigation regarding suspected rape concerning Julian Assange," the prosecutors office said in a statement.

Assange, 45, has lived in the Ecuadorean Embassy in London since 2012, after taking refuge there to avoid extradition to Sweden over the allegation of rape, which he denies.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ecuador-sweden-assange-idUSKCN18F0TC
>>
What the fuck are they doing? I don't want that vegemite stenched bogan retard taking another step back into my country without being bundled and shipped off to a 2 by 4.
>>
>>141308
more from reuters:
He feared Sweden would hand him over to the United States to face prosecution over WikiLeaks' publication of thousands of classified military and diplomatic documents in one of the largest information leaks in U.S. history.

The Swedish prosecutor's office said in a statement it had decided to end its investigation. In a court document seen by Reuters, chief prosecutor Marianne Ny said there were no further avenues to pursue to take the investigation forward.

However, London police issued a statement after the Swedish announcement making clear Assange was still wanted by them.

"Westminster Magistrates' Court issued a warrant for the arrest of Julian Assange following him failing to surrender to the court on the 29 June 2012," the police said.

"The Metropolitan Police Service is obliged to execute that warrant should he leave the Embassy."

Other source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39973864
After the news was announced on Friday, Wikileaks tweeted that the "focus now moves to the UK", saying the UK had "refused to confirm or deny whether it has already received a US extradition warrant for Julian Assange".
The Metropolitan Police Service in London issued a statement saying that its actions had been based on a response to a "European Arrest Warrant for an extremely serious offence".

It went on: "Now that the situation has changed and the Swedish authorities have discontinued their investigation into that matter, Mr Assange remains wanted for a much less serious offence. The MPS will provide a level of resourcing which is proportionate to that offence."

The MPS said it would "not comment further on the operational plan".

Last month, Mr Assange's Swedish lawyer filed a new motion calling for his client's arrest warrant to be lifted.

Per Samuelsson cited a comment by new US Attorney General Jeff Sessions that the arrest of Mr Assange would be "a priority".
>>
>>141311
... rest from BBC:
Mr Samuelsson told Agence France-Presse: "This implies that we can now demonstrate that the US has a will to take action... this is why we ask for the arrest warrant to be cancelled so that Julian Assange can fly to Ecuador and enjoy his political asylum."

Live thread: https://www.theguardian.com/media/live/2017/may/19/julian-assange-rape-inquiry-dropped-live
(not much different from reuters and bbc, except this timeline:)
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/oct/12/timeline-julian-assange-and-swedens-prosecutors
(and this photo: https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/865496201839337472/photo/1 )
>>
cant he still be arrested for jumping bail?
>>
>>141315
can't be arrested if you are dead
>>
My wild presumption is that this was in part an agreement with the US to try to bait Assange into actually leaving the embassy.

Because if there were any bugs inside the Ecu embassy they've likely all been disabled or whatever by now, the CIA and UK probably has every square meter of Ecuador bugged in anticipation of Assange's arrival should they take this deal.

Plus, the number of years Assange has spent in the embassy is about the same as the max sentence he could possibly get in the rape case. And even though he gets internet and shit in the embassy, Swedish prisons get all kinds of entertainment amenities too, so it's kinda meh in the end to the rape case.
>>
>>141333
Get a load of this guy...
>>
>>141335
>wild presumption
It is pretty wild.

Assange knows perfectly well he's broken British law by hiding in the embassy all these years.
Stupid really because he's pretty much guaranteed himself a prison sentence as punishment for trying to make an ass of the law.
I don't know if a 7 year breach of bail requires a custodial sentence but I can assure you that if found guilty the judge will provide one.
English prisons are far less comfortable than those in Sweden and if the Yanks do really want him they'll catch him in the end anyway.
>>
It's rape in Sweden if you fail to pay prostitutes
who am I kidding
THIS GUY SHOULD BURN IN HELL!!!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.