[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FCC begins rolling back net neutrality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 1

File: fcc_051817gn_lead.jpg (77KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
fcc_051817gn_lead.jpg
77KB, 640x360px
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai’s plan to roll back net neutrality rules took its first step forward on Thursday.

>The commission voted 2-1 along party lines to advance Pai’s Restoring Internet Freedom proposal, which would repeal current net neutrality protections.

>Thursday's vote opens a period of public input before the agency advances the proposal.

>The FCC’s formal decision to consider the proposal did not come without resistance. The commission’s lone Democrat, Mignon Clyburn, harshly criticized the proposal, and activists braved the heat to protest outside FCC headquarters.

>“While the majority engages in flowery rhetoric about light-touch regulation and so on, the endgame appears to be no-touch regulation and a wholescale destruction of the FCC’s public interest authority in the 21st century,” Clyburn said in her dissent.
Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), the chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, applauded the move and called for Democrats to come to the table to work out a legislative compromise on the issue.

>“In politics, it is rare to get a second chance at bipartisan compromise, yet right now we have an opportunity to accomplish what eluded us two years ago — clear and certain rules in statute to protect the open internet,” he said on the Senate floor ahead of the commission's vote.

>Pai's proposal would undermine existing net neutrality rules by undoing the legal basis of the regulations. The 2015 order imposed the rules by reclassifying the broadband industry as telecommunications services, which brought internet service providers under the FCC’s authority.

>The Obama-era net neutrality regulations, passed in 2015 as the Open Internet Order, aimed to create a level playing field on the internet by ensuring that broadband providers treated all online content the same.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/334050-fcc-votes-to-advance-net-neutrality-repeal
>>
>Public interest groups that have aggressively oppose Pai’s proposed initiative showed up in force outside of the FCC Thursday to protest the decision.

“Pai wants to continue the Trump administration’s assault on free speech and political dissent, and hand over control of the internet to his corporate cronies at AT&T, Comcast and Verizon,” said Free Press field director Mary Alice Crim. Free Press and groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union, Electronic Frontier Foundation and Color for Change have rallied their supporters to demonstrate against Pai’s plan.

>At the demonstrations, the groups displayed a large faceless figure in a suit plastered with stickers for AT&T, Verizon and other companies and brought along puppets of President Trump and Pai.

>Net neutrality supporters have argued lobbyists from the telecommunications industry are driving the initiative.

Republicans and broadband providers oppose the Obama-era regulations, accusing the FCC of regulatory overreach. They say that FCC regulation of broadband providers has inhibited investment in broadband infrastructure, adversely harming consumers.

>Pro-net neutrality groups challenge this assertion. They argue that broadband companies’ analysis of investment numbers are not comprehensive enough and that other numbers show broadband growth.

>”By multiple, independent metrics, ISP claims of depressed investment don’t mesh with reality. From actual capital expenditure numbers, to patents, to prices, Title II has not had the effects that ISPs claim,” the Internet Association, a trade association for internet companies like Google, Facebook and Amazon, wrote in a report.
>>
Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) one of Pai’s most vocal critics in Congress, was among those in the crowd outside the FCC’s offices.

“We’re gonna fight this rule. We’re going to fight it at the FCC. We’re going to make sure that the FCC is flooded with comments that the net neutrality rules are working and that there is no problem and that they should not dismantle them,” Markey told reporters before holding up a sign that said “Never Gonna Give Up Net Neutrality,” as Rick Astley’s “Never Gonna Give You Up” played in the background.

>“We’ve gotta keep it loud and make the point that we’ve won here in Washington before and we’ve got to do it again. We’re going to bring the SOPA and PIPA spirit,” Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), who was also in attendance, told The Hill, recalling the aggressive public backlash against the Stopping Online Piracy and Protect IP acts in 2012.

>Advocacy groups have said they plan to take advantage of the open comment period on the net neutrality proposal and will rally their members to file comments in support of the rules.

>HBO's John Oliver has already urged viewers of his show to do the same. The comedian is encouraging individuals to visit GoFCCYourself.com, which redirects to the Restoring internet Freedom proposal.

It’s unclear if the backlash from groups and Democratic lawmakers will have an impact. Democrats seem eager for a fight over net neutrality that could turn into an election issue in 2018 and have so far showed little interest in coming up with a legislative compromise.
>>
>>141212
>...little interest in coming up with a legislative compromise.

What a bullshit middle of the road fallacy. There's no reason for this poo in the loo to fuck with the internet, even just a little. Keep pajeet in the street.
>>
>>141210
This is still in the process of being approved, right? Is there time to fight it?
>>
>>141389
The time to fight it was in November.
>>
>>141239
>le /pol/ maymays
This is the future you chose
This is what happens when you're so foolish as to believe the way to oppose the right-wing Democrats is by supporting the guys who are even further right. You'd best hope the "dirtbag left" can push the overton window back away from crazytown or you'll continue to see the world sold off to megacorporations like this.
>>
>>141389
Trump was against net-neutrality

congratulations
>>
>>141389
Too fucking late. See >>141410.
>>
I am actually really mad right now.
>>
>>141423
Hold on. Let me grab a bottle so I can store your liberal tears for later.
>>
>>141425
Yeah, but, this affects everyone using the internet. Like right now. Regardless of party.
>>
>>141430
Trump supporters are retarded so they don't care.
>>
>>141425
Is the GOP/Verizon cock so far lodged in your intestines that you're unironically trying to spin this into some sort of conservative "win"?
>>
>>141431
Well, yeah but maybe he can figure this out? Am I reaching too far?
>>
>>141210
I'm too damn sleepy to be mad

I'll be mad when I wake up though
>>
>>141210
Where the fuck was anonymous on this shit? Shouldn't they have been uploading CP onto the Pai's personal laptop and smartphone or something?

Aw fuck, I know I'm slowpoking but I'm legit bummed out, this is such crap.
>>
>>141484
>>>/reddit/
>>
Welp, guess that's the end of 4chan. Bye fellas.
>>
Seems the only time we get bipartisan cooperation is when it's to fuck us over.
>>
Good. Fuck netflicks.
>>
>>141436
Maybe it's because I think that the people who built and own the internet should be able to do what they want with it. They are the renters, we are the rentees. You wouldn't make the same argument that tenets have more right to their apartment then the land lord, would you? Do they want to limit access, it's their property. Do they want to peak in on what you are doing with their internet, so long as they aren't violating the contract you agreed to with them, it's fine.

Besides that though, your liberal tears sure are addicting.
>>
>>141584
>Maybe it's because I think that the people who built and own the internet should be able to do what they want with it. They are the renters, we are the rentees.
Except it's not their design. Internet come from public and army funding and University researches. They are making money out of a concept they didn't create. they piggy backed on something only once it started to get profitable.

And those who created and allow them to make money out of it have a say in the matter and should continue to.
>>
>>141587
That's a half truth and you know it. ISPs may not have invented the first internet, but they were the ones who developed it and spent their money to build it up into what we have today. Going back to the land lord example, land lord's may not have invented the concept of apartments, but they were the ones to build and invest their money, growing it into the industry it is today.
>>
>>141591
>That's a half truth and you know it.
No.
>Going back to the land lord example, land lord's may not have invented the concept of apartments, but they were the ones to build and invest their money, growing it into the industry it is today.
That doesn't change the fact that Land Lord are under obligation to provide a minimal amount of service to their rentees.

The same apply to Internet. IPS have a lot of freedom, but there are still requirement such as Internet Neutrality.
>>
>>141591
>ISPs may not have invented the first internet, but they were the ones who developed it and spent their money to build it up into what we have today.
They still made their money out of a public funded design.
>>
>>141593
>That doesn't change the fact that Land Lord are under obligation to provide a minimal amount of service to their rentees.

By a privately agreed upon contract. If the contract says, give me money for nothing, then it is on you, the buyer, for signing it, not the seller.
>>
>>141595
>By a privately agreed upon contract.
No. Outside of the tenant and Rentee's deal, the contract is still bound by public legislation to fulfil minimal obligations.

It work the same way with Internet.
>>
>>141591
Land lords have the right to the apparent but they dont have the right to limit the water or electricity becouse they want more money .. or to sell the private information of tenant to other 3rd party's .. that is just extortion
>>
>>141584
>Maybe it's because I think that the people who built and own the internet should be able to do what they want with it.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't ISPs get huge subsidies just to build the infrastructure in the first place? And didn't many of them ̶b̶r̶i̶b̶e̶ lobby a good number of politicians to ensure that competitors wouldn't be able to build their own infrastructure (hence why google fiber is so limited), essentially making them monopolies? We already regulate other utilities, and if it was built on the taxpayer's dollar in the first place then it should be treated as a public utility and not a private business.
>>
>>141584
>Maybe it's because I think that the people who built and own the internet should be able to do what they want with it.

I would be ok with this if my taxdollars didn't pay for the infrastructure, which was given to private industries after a short lease.

Even worse, if I try to compete and provided better service, these large corporations can hit me with cease and desist orders or pressure the government to fine me because they alone have exclusive contracts with municipalities. A year or so ago, I started setting up my own WISP and got letters from three different cities saying how I can't compete against AT&T because I don't have deals with the city or state for it.
>>
>>141584
>cable companies built the internet, therefore they own it
Fucking lol.
If anything, the internet would then belong to several colleges because that's where it started. The purpose was to send data between those institutions and evolved from there.
>>
I really, really hate Trump supporters. Not even Trump, just his supporters
>>
>>141425
How does it feel to be literally everything wrong with America

>>141584
This can't be fucking real.
>>
>>142662
We actually support net neutrality, this was an accident.

We'll fix it like Obamacare. Obamas regulations were shit anyway.
>>
>>142672
Obamacare worked just fine. How exactly does replacing a simple tax not work but an asinine system of tax breaks does?
>>
>>142672
>Obama's regulations were shit anyways
>We'll fix Obamacare
Obamacare isn't perfect. Far from it. Premiums are way higher than they should be, but they would have gone up more if Obamacare hadn't been passed. Healthcare is a right
>>142689
Obamacare is an improvement over what we had before, but it's far from perfect
>>
>>142747
You don't know what a right is. Pls don't be American.
>>
>>142689
>Obamacare worked just fine.
You can't be serious

They're rewriting history before it even got written.
>>
>>141412

So was Hillary
>>
>>141591
>but they were the ones who developed it and spent their money to build it up into what we have today.

Paid for by tax dollars. They are given billions in tax breaks and grants to give us better internet.
>>
>>142765
Yes, and I'd say that the government should end all subsidies. No more coddling industry or research, let the markets take care of it.
>>
>>142747
>Obamacare is an improvement
wew lad
wew fucking lad
>>
>>142747
Here's a simple solution to our medical care crises. End all government involvement in it. End Medicare and Medicaid, Obamacare, and all the little regulations shackling the industry. Just end it, and overnight, we'll see a TREMENDOUS increase in efficiency and 90% of the problems evaporated away.
>>
>>142748
I believe in the right to life from womb to tomb. You shouldn't die, or go bankrupt because of the high price of medical treatment
>>142771
Premiums would have gone up higher if aca hadn't been enacted. I'd say that makes it an improvement
>>142778
>let the free market take care of it
The free market does plenty to help the wealth, but it doesn't do shit for the working class. You think it'd improve everything so much, but it'd just leave a lot of people out to dry
>>
>>142807
>The free market does plenty to help the wealth, but it doesn't do shit for the working class. You think it'd improve everything so much, but it'd just leave a lot of people out to dry
Good. Maybe that'll motivate people to do better.
>>
>>142807
I agree you shouldn't die, or go bankrupt because of the high price of medical treatment. You shouldn't have do die at all, it fucking SUCKS ASS.

I also believe it's wrong to steal, dick wad. The government shouldn't take everybody's shit for whatever reason because they're corrupt as shit and always will be, you stupid communist.
>>
>>142819
edgy
>>
>>142833
>I also believe it's wrong to steal, dick wad.
Private property is itself theft
>The government shouldn't take everybody's shit for whatever reason because they're corrupt as shit and always will be, you stupid communist.
So you think that the government has been corrupted by the influence of private corporations so you just want to cede its functions to those same corporations? That makes zero fucking sense
>>142819
>Good. Maybe that'll motivate people to do better.
Maybe it will motivate them to create a new industry in the manufacturing of guillotines
>>142778
Quit drinking the "free market" kool-aid and just take a look at how it turned out a century ago. You're just buying into this cultish nonsense that works against your own rational self-interest for the benefit of a small few while they laugh all the way to the bank.
>>
It begins

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/comcast-is-trying-to-censor-a-site-that-claims-comcast-is-committing-fraud

How much longer does 4chan have?
>>
>>142836
@_@
>>
>>142865
It's ogre soon

We'll have to go back to writing on bathroom walls
>>
>>142874
in our reeducation camps.
>>
>>142748
Get fucked trump tard your canidate is a proven traitor and conspioritor with russia. How does it feel to shill for a TRAITOR. John Brennan former cia "i am worried that the russians got people to in the trump campaign to work for them"
>>
>>142833
Taxes arent stealing when you get services in return dipshit . Taxes pay for roads utilites and other shit that you use. Its much better then the ayan rand bullshit you want where i have to pay for every thing.
>>
>>142882
You are presuming they don't love Russia more than USA.
>>
>>142867
I'm not quite sure what that response is meant to imply...
>>142874
Don't worry anon, you'll still be able to use all the big corporate media you want! We wouldn't want those silly proles poisoning their minds with anti-establishment ideas, would we?
>>142882
Both candidates were awful, at this point I think it might actually be better in some ways to have an incompetent evil like Cheeto Benito in charge rather than a competent evil like Shillary or Mike "309 electoral volts" Pence. His policies that shit on the poor are massively taking the wind out of the aut-right's sails while raising class-consciousness and causing a resurgence among the real left, I could actually see a new third party winning against both of the right-wing corporate parties in 2020 at this rate.
>>
>>142749
Stay mad trumpling

>>142747
Obamacare has it's problems obviously but it's far better than what Trumpcare is shaping up to be

>>142748
>I have a right to get poisoned by Monsanto and I like it!

>>142819
Jesus Christ, a living Scrooge McDuck.
>>
>>142882
You sound like a crazy person. Russia isn't real, anon. It just wasn't HER turn.
>>
>>142883
That's not what stealing means. You're trying to have a conversation with another person. You need to understand english to do this.
>>
>>142912
>Obamacare has it's problems
It was collapsing, you lying retard.
>>
>>142949
Just like everything our government touches. Just repeal it, and don't REPLACE. Please. We don't need the government sticking its dick into this. Just let the markets do what they want to do and we'll eventually reach equilibrium after the fluctuations end.
>>
>>142949
If we go out of our way to instruct the development of the bill and then do our damnedest to blow it up up we can't claim it was no good to begin with, tard.
Even right now, with insurance companies panicking, it's preferable for the working class and at a Macroeconomic level than whatever the Republicans are shoving through for political points to make good on a promise they never thought they'd be in a position to.
>>
>>142833
>it's wrong to steal
Do you like roads? Law enforcement? Then you need taxes. Again, we can pay for single payer healthcare by cutting a little bit from our defense budget
>>142951
>just let the free markets take care of it
People are going to die, or go bankrupt if we leave it to the free market
>>
>>142949
This>>142952
American politics are so bad I'm not sure I even consider myself American anymore.
>>
>>142951
This would be ideal

>>142952
You're a lying retard

>>142962
Great, leave the country you pussy ass treasonous communist.
>>
>>142951
Or Privatize everything, including the human soul.
>>
>>142979
Stop being a Laissez Faire cock sucker.
>>
>>143063
That's idiotic. Souls have a value beyond measure.
>>
>>143064
Why do you want the government to control you? Pussy ass
>>
>>143065
Not to corporations that willing to sell and owns everything.

Cause that was Laissez Faire does; allow them to do whatever they fucking want without legal consequences.
>>
>>143066
Why do you want to suck your boses' cocks?

Face it: either you want to be a slave to both Corporations and Banks, or to Bureaucracy and Governments.
>>
>>142979
Quality comments

>>143068
How bout neither and we just install a transparent government with socialist benefits
>>
>>143092
That's good, but will never happen.
>>
>>143067
All a corporation can do is offer to sell you something.

What are you so afraid of? Human beings are cool ya know.

>>143068
Ok. I choose to be a slave to the smallest government possible. Like outlined by the founding fathers.

>>143092
Communist parasite
>>
>>143095
>All a corporation can do is offer to sell you something.
They will sell you Shit with no regulation to keep them in check.

They will enslave you.
>>
>>143095
>Ok. I choose to be a slave to the smallest government possible. Like outlined by the founding fathers.

A broken piece of shit system that allows the rich to exploit the poor and breed slaves for profit.
>>
So where the hell am I gonna get my guro loli porn?
>>
>>143095
How can I be a parasite if I'm actively contributing to the economy through taxes and purchases
>>
You guys ever gunna post about the thread subject?
>>
>>143236
We are; this is about regulations afterall.
>>
>>143095
>All a corporation can do is offer to sell you something.
Historically, when corporations could have private police forces, slavery, and indentured servants, they abused the fuck out of it. Look at Leopold's little operation in Africa, the East Indies Company, or the robber barons in the US.
>>
>>143307
Or the united fruit company
>>
>>143307
>private police forces, slavery, and indentured servants
All the result of corrupt government. Corporations can only abuse people with the aud of the government.
>>
>>143355
The confederacy was founded by slave owning oligarchs who have a stranglehold on the state politicians.

State rights is just propaganda and nothing more.
>>
>>142764

Source or it didnt happen.
>>
>>143453
Ah, my close associate, the burden of providing the evidences to support the case you are of making is upon you, not him.
>>
>>143505
Haha, is true! To be of proving you must showing evidence does not exist. Or it could be out there, no? Czechmate!
>>
Fuck Trump holy shiy
>>
>Fuck Trump holy shiy (I'm too upset to notice that typo)
>>
Comcast is anti Net Neutrality and has spent billions to get FCC to roll back Title II so they can continue their plan to run the internet like a TV subscription service. Bundling up packages and websites like they are providing more open internet, when they are actually trying to control it more and close it off.

Helpful video related: https://youtu.be/v5FtuWj1i4Y
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.