[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

‘Dinosaur Mummy’ Emerges From the Oil Sands of Alberta

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: 13dinosaur-superJumbo.jpg (664KB, 2048x1367px) Image search: [Google]
13dinosaur-superJumbo.jpg
664KB, 2048x1367px
A 110 million-year-old fossil of an armored, plant-eating dinosaur called a nodosaur is the best-preserved specimen of its kind. Credit Robert Clark/National Geographic
The animal probably died as it lived — defying predators with its heavy armor and size — and after 110 million years, its face remains frozen in a ferocious reptilian glare.

>How the animal, a land-dwelling, plant-eating nodosaur, died is not known, but somehow its body ended up at the bottom of an ancient sea. Minerals kept the remains remarkably intact, gradually turning the body into a fossil. And when it was unearthed in 2011, scientists quickly realized that it was the best-preserved specimen of its kind.

>“It’s basically a dinosaur mummy — it really is exceptional,” said Don Brinkman, director of preservation and research at the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta. The dinosaur, with fossilized skin and gut contents intact, came from the Millennium Mine six years ago in the oil sands of northern Alberta, once a seabed.

>That sea was full of life, teeming with giant reptiles that grew as long as 60 feet, while its shores were traversed by massive dinosaurs for millions of years. The area has been coughing up fossils since the beginning of recorded time.

>“The shovel operator at the mine saw a block with a funny pattern and got in touch with a geologist,” Dr. Brinkman said. “We went up and collected it.” The fossil, photographed for the June issue of National Geographic, went on display on Friday.

>Alberta law designates all fossils the property of the province, not of the owners of the land where they are found. Most are discovered after being exposed by erosion, but mining has also proved a boon to paleontologists.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/world/americas/dinosaur-fossil-nodosaur-alberta-oil-sands.html?smid=tw-nytimesworld&smtyp=cur&_r=0
>>
>Dr. Brinkman said the museum was careful not to inhibit industrial activity when retrieving fossils so that excavators weren’t afraid to call when they found something. “These are specimens that would never be recovered otherwise,” Dr. Brinkman said. “We get two or three significant specimens each year.”
>>
>>139748
That's pretty dang neat.
>>
Mummies aren't real and Dinosaurs are DEAD get over it.
>>
That's real fuckan Nito
>>
>>139760
Dinosaurs aren't real. It's a conspiracy of scientist to discredit God

http://creationtoday.org/evidence-for-a-young-earth/
>>
>>139776
God isn't real, it's a conspiracy of cultists to discredit reality.
>>
>>139799
Really isn't real, it's a conspiracy of Gods' to discredit cultists.
>>
>>139799
Yeah, sure. Science is a religion. How else can anyone believe something as ridiculous as space gas cooling, coming to life, gaining sentience, and finally turning into people? Liberals actually think gas came to life. It's hilarious. Scientist have never seen that happen, they've never seen a big bang, they've never seen anything turn from gas into a living being, but they believe this WITHOUT SEEING IT, and then laugh at people who believe in the God they also can't see.
>>
>>139888
>Scientist have never seen that happen
They have replicated the basic reactions in the lab that first formed life on earth. They experiments aren't new, they have been done by more than one scientist over the years, you should know this.
>>
>>139894
>They have replicated the basic reactions in the lab that first formed life on earth.
Yes, they did. And what was the result of the experiment???

Drum roll please!

*drum roll*

[[[[[NOTHING FUCKIN HAPPENED]]]]]

I hate that dumbass experiment. Read that shit in my text book and it basically said "this probably would have worked if we did it longer" LOL

Obviously Moses didn't part the sea with his magic stick but don't act like we totally understand how life started.
>>
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/06/dinosaur-nodosaur-fossil-discovery/

More pics here.
>>
>And when it was unearthed in 2011, scientists quickly realized that it was the best-preserved specimen of its kind.
How come we're hearing about it just now? That's six fucking years ago.
>>
>>139962
cuz it's on display now I guess
>>
>>139915
Well, it makes sense that life would come from non-life. We are, after all, made up of non-life at the most basic level. Four different molecules in a long, mostly useless, pattern that makes us fart, eat and fuck.
>>
>>140041
...I like Dinosaurs
>>
>>140074
dude this one
>>
>>139888
This just in; Being made of water and carbon questions the possibility that inert materials can start walking around. Points to glass of water to prove his point. "IT AIN'T MOVING NOW, IS IT!" screams being.
>>
>>139748
No feathers, it must be one of those crocodile dinosaurs, the low hanging four feet on the ground heavies.
We really need to differentiate the "raptor" dinosaurs from the "heavies" dinosaurs, they are different species pretty much, one being more bird and the other being more crock.

The idea of a "dinosaur" as a unified species is outdated, no?
>>
>>140280
>The idea of a "dinosaur" as a unified species is outdated, no?
well this idea doesnt exist. dinosaurs are already considered a collective of many species.
>>
>>139748
inb4 this is the "snake" that tempted adam and eve and lost its legs

those sneaky little bastards
>>
>>140280
It's only a matter of time before scientists make a subtle campaign to differentiate traditional reptile dinosaurs from ancient large birds and ancient sea "leviathans" due to their vast differences of dominance in their respective terrain.
>>
>>140418
4 legged dinosaur
2 legged dinosaur
Fish dinosaur
Mammal dinosaur

Gimme money
>>
>>140419
Forgot flying dinosaurs

Gonna need a bit more money
>>
>>140423
Are the flying birds reptiles or are the reptiles birds? Or are the sea creatures flying bird reptiles?
>>
>>140425
More importantly, how does our understanding of dinosaurs affect climate change?
>>
>>140431
I'm more condcerned about how the climate change of dinosaurs may affect our understanding
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.