[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pentagon draws up plan to boost US troops in Afghanistan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: davis_afghan_0.jpg (299KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
davis_afghan_0.jpg
299KB, 1024x683px
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/pentagon-draws-up-plan-to-boost-us-troops-in-afghanistan/news-story/d013cb566aefb416382ca94bdf27630b

Donald Trump will consider boosting US troops in Afghanistan to combat a resurgent Taliban in what would be a reversal of the drawdown of forces under Barack Obama.

The potentially pivotal moment in the US commitment to Afghanistan has come after the Pentagon drew up plans for at least 3000 extra US troops to bolster the 8400 in the war-torn country.

The President has yet to consider the proposal but, if he accepts the Pentagon’s recommendation, he will be increasing America’s commitment to the conflict that has claimed the lives of more than 2300 US soldiers since 2001.

The plan is aimed at forcing the Taliban — which has thrived since the US withdrew the bulk of its troops from the country — back to the negotiating table.

It follows the massacre in a northern army base last month in which Taliban fighters killed more than 140 Afghan soldiers.

The strategy drawn up by the Pentagon seeks to curb the rising frequency of Taliban attacks. It would authorise the Pentagon, rather than the White House, to set troop numbers in that country.

Mr Trump is expected to announce his decision on the Pentagon’s proposal by the NATO summit on May 25. The President would ask NATO countries to match any increase in US troop numbers in Afghanistan

The recommendation is being pushed by National Security Adviser HR McMaster, who was one of the forces behind the surge in Iraq under George W. Bush.

It would reverse the trend of steady US withdrawal from Afghanistan under Mr Obama, who was wary of the dwindling public support for the 15-year war and the mounting casualties.

The new strategy would allow for greater US air support of Afghan operations and allow US military advisers to accompany local forces near to conflict zones.
>>
inb4 20% approval ratings
>>
fucking piece of shit 4chan isn't letting me post the second half of the article
>>
>>138049
it's happening a lot. there is a thread on >>>/qa/ about it.
>>
AMERICA FIRST

AMERICA FIRST

AMERICA FIRST
>>
>>138053
>>138046
>We're going to invade their countries and take their oil.

Nah, if he does the above, it'll make him popular among his core base. Overt Empire building, threatening others, stealing resources, and acting like its the 19th century again is something they'd like.
>>
>>138053
Лoл, no
>>
>>138051
my only problem with you anon, is letting people know /qa/ exists
>>
I wonder what it's going to take to get out of Afghanistan now. This thing's less popular than Vietnam, and the enemy still has control of the land. This seems pretty darn hopeless.
>>
>>138049
Obviously the mods are attempting to control us

That's the point of /bant/

They're trying to fuck with how we communicate
>>
>>138044
Why is he doing this? The country's lost its taste for war.
>>
>>138233
I agree with you, but the peoples taste for war probobly is placed on the low end of importance when weighed against national security Intel and the military council
>>
>>138086
The war will end when the obscenely wealthy are done bleeding the United States' working class dry and siphoning what they can off the infinite printing of Federal Reserve money purchased, in this case, in blood and oil.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.