[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diabetes cured in mice. Humans could be next.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 1

File: Mouse-in-Lab-725x480.jpg (47KB, 725x480px) Image search: [Google]
Mouse-in-Lab-725x480.jpg
47KB, 725x480px
http://www.biosciencetechnology.com/news/2017/05/team-cures-diabetes-mice-without-side-effects

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/05/gene-transfer-cures-diabetes-in-mice-without-side-effect.html
>>
thanks but we already have a cure for diabetes, it's called don't be fat.

why don't they just skip the middle man and cure fatness.
>>
>>137970
don't be a fuckwit
>>
>>137971
Isn't he right?
>>
>>137970
That's not a cure dumbass. Prevention isn't a cure either.
>>
>>137972
no, he and you are both explicitly retarded. type 1 diabetes is a genetic disorder that you can be born with.

also >>137974
>>
>>137970
The article is talking about type 1 and it could also significantly help with type 2.
Also, Type 2 deserves to be cured too.
>>
>>137971
I'm jp this is great

They will probably be able to grow a new pancreas soon too
>>
Type 1 diabetic here, can't wait for this shit to get approved in humans.
>>
>>137970
>what is genetic predisposition
>>
The only thing this thread did was make me miss Patrice more.
>>
>>137972
what the fuck even IS type 1 diabetes????
hey so it turns out popping out of your mom's vagina at a healthy weight with diabetes is impossible, this scientist figured it out!
>>
>>138027
I've been meaning to put his picture on my wall
>>
>>137970
>>137972
>>138077
>Diabetes is that fat people disease, and what is Google?

Why are there idiots on /news/?
>>
>>138094
It was a joke. This is the internet for God's sake.
>>
>>138096
I'm sure some of these people genuinely hold these opinions but don't say them in public.
>>
>>137966
Finally a possible cure for my type! What a time to be alive
>>
>>137966
Amazing stuff!

>begin commercialization
*sigh*
>>
>>138105
Most people aren't hateful, but hardly anyone understands there are two types of diabetes now that Type II is an epidemic. Everyone's got a diabetic friend of a friend who's trying to lose weight so they don't have to take insulin. I'm getting really fucking tired of explaining that's a completely different disease.
>>
90% of the time any Diabetes-related news usually deals with Type 2, so this is a really pleasant surprise.
>>
>>138005
I think both types will be cured permanently in our lifetime. Hopefully within the next decade.
>>
>>137966
They've also made progress on reversing the aging process in rats and human trials for the drug they used are starting this fall.
>>
>>138339
They need to recoup research, scale up, manufacturing and distribution costs somehow.
>>
>>138468
Interesting. How significant is the aging reversal?
>>
>>138105
Pull that stick out if your ass before its too late!!!!!
>>
>>138516
Lol. I bet some of that hate comes from fat hate threads on /fit/
>>
>>137966
I read that in a sinister context.
>>
>>138624
What hate?

Are you honestly that butthurt about a fat joke?
>>
>>138470
http://wallstreetpit.com/113170-anti-aging-pill-on-the-horizon-human-trials-this-fall/
Here's the news link, and this:

>>What they did was to give mice water that contained a NAD+ ‘booster’ called NMN (Nicotinamide mononucleotide) which is basically what makes up half of the NAD molecule. After drinking the ‘fortified’ water, the mice showed an improved ability to repair DNA damage that resulted from old age or radiation exposure.

Is the most pertinent bit about the anti-aging effect I could find.

Nothing really definite yet, but it looks promising.
>>
>>138625
Why?
>>
>>137966
what type of diabetes is cured? 1? 2 ? 3?... also, this is a call for celebration! Diabetes is a killer to fat people.
>>
>>138469
lel. Your naivete makes my skepticism appear so jaded. I wonder why that is.

I wonder if they received any public funding for their research.
>>
>>137966
I think mice would rather be made immune to snake venom.

https://youtu.be/Wd5jJgD08Ks
>>
>>138750
I think the fact that they will still be eaten directly after being bit would make that immunity kind of useless
>>
>>138747
For the initial basic research the would have received a mix of public and private funding since the team is made up of University researchers. However the treatment is only in the preclinical trial phase and has yet to be tested in people, which is where much of the cost occurs. They will need to scale up for mass production in order to meet the demand and likely it will fail in the first or second stage because of the differences between mouse and human physiology. They recently filed a patent for the treatment method, meaning that if it works they will have exclusive rights to its production and sale, though because they are a university based group the university will take about 60% of the share with the remaining 40% split between the inventors listed. So in reality, if this treatment is successful, it would mean that it could provide funding for a public university and likely lead to more scholarships for students to attend. This will also cover the cost the university takes on with maintaining a laboratory space and salary for the researchers.

Your skepticism is borne out of ignorance for how public university research is conducted as well how drugs are brought to market.
>>
>>138005
This might make you feel better.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/type-1-diabetes-islet-cell-transplant-woman-off-insulin/
>>
>>138743
>diabetes lvl 3

I heard this was first achieved in Mexico... build the wall.
>>
>>138802
>Your skepticism...

Who is Martin Shkreli et all.
Not the same anon but I share his jaded viewpoint that when it comes to money, ethics in the halcyon world you espouse usually is shortlived or non-existant. I guess we'll have to wait for the patent to expire on this so that regular folk can afford it.

Hell, even researchers deserve to drive a Mercedes.
>>
>>137970
You do realise you can get diabetes from birth?
>>
>>139036
What do mexicans got to do with diabetes?
>>
>>139645
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/10/obesity-mexico-united-states-fattest-country_n_3571988.html
>>
I hope they cure the herpes next, I have those. Got it from my family at a young age...
>>
>>139660
>tfw mexican
>tfw have prediabetes
I get to live with my mistakes, but at least I lost 40 pounds in the last two months already.
>>
>>139901
Get healthy bro. That is fully reversible. You do not want to deal with that shit forever.
>>
>>139913
Well, I just found out a few months ago in March.
I started doing cardio everyday and changed my diet. I lost lost weight fast.
I was 230 pounds when I found out. Now, I'm at 191 pounds.
>>
>>139919
Nice, sounds like you'll be alright. Is that a trend in your country? In America, organic healthy gluten free foods are becoming more popular every day.
>>
>>139926
I unwittingly mislead you.
I'm a mexican that was born in america.
I got pre-beetus due to my bad habits and sedentary lifestyle.
I have been fixing my diet by eating healthier foods and getting active everyday.
Even at my office job, I get up from my desk every 20 minutes to walk around the office hallways for 5 minutes throughout the whole shift. Not to mention I walk during all breaks.
I've been very active and pretty healthy, but I feel this sense of futility like I'm going to become diabetic regardless.

I've read that up to 70% of people with prediabetes progress to type 2 at some point in their lives. However, I've also read that 86 million people have PRE-diabetes and 90% those people don't know they have it.
Both of these claims come from the American Diabetes Association so I'm not sure what my prognosis is.

>inb4blogpost
>>
>>139933
Well it's good all the same. I was just curious if Mexicans started improving their diets yet. It's probably part of a country's growth.
>>139933
>I've read that up to 70% of people with prediabetes progress to type 2 at some point in their lives. However, I've also read that 86 million people have PRE-diabetes and 90% those people don't know they have it.
>Both of these claims come from the American Diabetes Association so I'm not sure what my prognosis is.
The stats are pretty damning but it's up to the individual. Diet is way more important that we give it credit for.
>>
>>139935
They are. However, part of me also think it's up to the individual which is why I'm hoping that the prognosis is that bad BECAUSE people don't know they have it or don't do anything about it if they do know they have it.
Here's hoping the cure in the OP comes soon enough.
>>
>>139939
>BECAUSE people don't know they have it or don't do anything about it
I know someone with it and they aren't doing much about it, so it'll become full diabetes eventually. Some would rather just be powerless.
>>
>>139942
It is likely that it will. It's likely that I'll probably get full diabetes myself despite my efforts. This is my punishment, but I'm going to take action regardless.
If this person you know has it is a close friend, please help them.
>>
>>137976
Found the fatasses
>>
>>140010
Found the /fit/ meathead. Genetic predisposition, lifestyle choices and other risk factors may play as much of a role as weight.

I bet you're also the type to think that non-smokers have a 0% risk of lung cancer. It's all about likelihood, moron.
>>
>>138339
THIS

it's a fucking life saving medicine, it should be a law already that such groundbreaking inventions/discoveries should be patent free and accessible to the public.
>>
>>140447
>life SHOULD be different
>doctors SHOULD make medicine for free
>tigers SHOULD be able to eat without killing
>no bad thing SHOULD happen

This is why the left and right can never agree. One side is trying to solve problems and the other side is bitching about God's mistakes.
>>
>>140460
It's hard for the right to solve the problems when the left is always bitching about God, yea.
>>
Has anything been cured since polio??? Nope! They have tons of medicine that fight the symptoms, but no new cures? Really? With all of the technology that we have acquired since the then, nothing cured? Who else believes this?
>>
>>140447
You think someone's out there breaking ground for shits and giggles? Someone is trying to make a buck, that's how we get these cool things
>>
>>140611

https://youtu.be/xkDMVdEci4Q
>>
>>139933
>I get up from my desk and wander the halls every 20 minutes for 5 minutes
>spends 1/5 of the work day roaming

How the fuck do you get anything when you spend so much of your day lurking in the halls?
>>
>>140447
It has yet to enter phase 1 of clinical trials dipshit. It could cause massive liver toxicity in humans for all we know.

Patents promote discovery and bring those discoveries to market. Without them the rate of drug discovery would be much lower and the US would lose a valuable commodity on the world stage. Good luck getting all those biotech firms to stick around when you tell them that their patents are no longer valid in the US. We will basically become the next India, where cheap knockoffs dominate the hospitals and effectiveness is questionable. Not to mention the loss of jobs, tax revenue, etc. that would come about. But hey, at least we made it accessible to the public right (it already is because once approved the treatment will be covered by insurance, which is mandatory now).
>>
>>140633
Did you mean to say how much do you get anything done?
If so, I get things done by having a goal to get as much work done before I have to stand up and roam the halls.
>>
>>140634
If this ends up being successful on larger animal tests and then on human tests. How long would it take for this to come to market?
>>
>>140447
sure
as soon as you pay extra taxes for the government to fund that stuff

unless you're american and don't really believe in public healtcare, I guess.
>>
>>140888
It depends. Phase 1 would be relatively quickly as it will just be used to determine dosing in human trials. Phase 2 is where problems may arise as they expand and look more into efficacy. I suspect this will be given a fast track into a phase 2B as opposed to the standard phase 3/4 that normal drugs take.

All in all, at least 2 years. They need to make sure that there are not any problems in a large, controlled cohort before opening it to everyone. The good news is that there are a lot of patients to trial on so that helps with proving efficacy. The bad news is that they are considered managing their condition, so getting approval to test a new drug on them and proving efficacy is harder then testing on terminally ill individuals.
>>
>>137966
That's exciting. I'd like to start eating food because I enjoy it and not just to keep myself alive.
Long-term exercise without carrying tremendous amounts of carbs sounds nice too.

Fatasses who got themselves type 2 can go fuck themselves.
>>
>cure

uh oh. drug companies aren't going to like this.
>>
>>141342
Calm down, meathead.
>>
>>141353
Holy problematicshitlord are you unironically body shaming literally?

Reported :) have a nice day!
>>
I hate being edgy but why do we keep saving people? Modern medicine directly clashes with population stability.
>>
>>137970
Faggot. My wife has type 1. I wish at some point she had been fat because that gets me hard as tool steel. Your rationale for don't be fat might as well be don't be born do type 1s. Fuck you. Go read and educate yourself.
>>
Remember Nanking Massacre!
>>
>>141463
>population stability

in which countries? the population instability is happening in africa, not civilized western countries where this problem is most prevalent, you retard
>>
>>137966
Kill these researchers. Fats peoples slow death is sweet to watch, dont make it last longer, thats just cruel.
>>
>>141463
>>141507
No
>>
>>137970
I'm 5'10, 145 lbs, and type 1 diabetic. Am I fat?
>>
>>141732
Only technically
>>
>>137970
I've seen skinny people who inherited from family members trough genetics
>>
>>141732
You definitely arent cool
>>
Type 1 diabetic here, pray to fuck that this works in humans sooner rather than later
>>
>>142718
I hear you, friend.
>>
I don't see how well rhus xould really help most cases of type 2 though. It is usually due to insulin insensitivity of other cell receptors, not just the beta cells failing due to over working from all the life time of sugars and shit the people have been eating. Mostly replacing the cells aone may not be enough. Wouldn't they need to do something with forcing exocytosis of more insulin receptors too?
>>
>>141507
why are there so many uneducated people in this thread that don't know there are 2 kinds of diabetes? you can't be this ignorant of science. Google exists for God's sake.Did you even read the article?
>>
>>144019
this* could*
alone*
damn phone.
>>
>>141342
Hey shit head, see >>144021
Now educate your self. this is just embarrassing.
>>
>>140908
I know this post is old, but you really think the damn cure for diabetes will be out within 2 years?
>>
>>141507

>a-a-am I edgy yet guys? do i fit in?
>>
>>144867
What part of "at least" did you not understand? If this new treatment works perfectly for type 1 diabetics it could get fast tracked into hospitals pretty damn fast.

That being said, I would shocked if that were the case. I was just trying to give some insight into clinical trials for those that may not know as much about it.
>>
>>144873
If that's the case. It will probably come within the next decade..IF it's successful on large animal and human trails.
>>
>>145488
Fair enough. I was just trying to give the best case, everything is perfect with no side effects scenario, which would never happen
>>
>>137970
type 1 retard. type 2 is easy mode diabetes
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.