[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wisconsin-based atheist group sues Trump over church order

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 0

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/89ae8247abe8493fae24405546e9a1aa/Article_2017-05-05-US-Trump-Religion-Lawsuit/id-1b2385eb2fb54ff79d5fbec964345520

>MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin-based atheist group has filed a lawsuit asking a federal judge to strike down President Donald Trump's order easing enforcement of an IRS rule limiting religious organizations' political activity.

>A 1954 federal law prohibits tax-exempt charitable organizations such as churches from participating in political campaigns. Violators could lose their tax-exempt status, but the law — known as the Johnson Amendment — has rarely been enforced.

>The IRS doesn't make its investigations of such cases public, but only one church is known to have lost its tax-exempt status as a result of the law. Still, Trump has long promised conservative Christians who supported his White House bid that he would block the regulation.

>On Thursday the president issued an executive order directing the Treasury Department not to take "adverse action" against churches or religious organizations for political speech. He said he was giving churches their voices back.

>The Freedom from Religion Foundation filed a lawsuit hours later. The Madison, Wisconsin-based group argues in the filing that the order is unconstitutional because it grants preferential treatment to religious organizations while secular groups must still abide by the law.

>The group, known as FFRF, also argues that Trump lacks any power to overturn a legitimate law.

>"As a result of President Trump's (order), churches and religious organizations will be able to blatantly and deliberately flaunt the electioneering restrictions ... including during the upcoming 2018 elections, unlike secular non-profits, including FFRF," the lawsuit states.
>>
>atheist group
Why not just call it what it is, Atheist Church.
>>
>>137221
It needs to be registered as a church to be called a church.
>>
>>137222
Can't they? The bar to register is ridiculously low.
>>
>>137207
>based

There is nothing based about them, anon
>>
didn't most churches ignore the Johnson amendment anyway?
>>
>>137259
No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University_v._United_States
>>
>>137207

> implying this isn't a direct reaction to all the under the rug politicking done at black churches during the last 2 elections, that was obviously ignored under the direction of the Obama administration, while that same administration used the IRS to go after any conservative group that dared to apply for legal operation

This is just evening the playing field.

It was either this or go after all the black churches when the politicking starts up again for the next set of elections.

All this does is allow repubs to do the same thing legally that the dems have been doing under the table all this time in the black community.
>>
>>137207
>Be atheist
>Get butt hurt by theists and religious freedom
>Create group of Atheists to set forth an atheist adgenda and attempt to convert people to your way of thinking
>Sue for the same rights as a religious group
>Collect donations from group members

The Church of NonBelievers ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>137296
Citation from a reputable source?
>>
>>137236
They could, of their agenda was tax dodging.

Also >>137221 no sky fairy sends you to hell for all eternity if you don't go to atheist group once a week, so in that sense it's not really church.
>>
>>137330
You sure are butthurt about atheists meeting. My board game group also meets weekly and takes donations, would you care to be mad about that as well?
>>
>>137330
It's like something out of a Douglas Adams novel
>>
>>137344
I don't give a fuck if they meet. It's ironic and funny as hell.

Like atheists become a religion of non belief, it's funny. Get it?
>>
>>137207
tl;dr ver: Autistic screeching
>>
>>137207
>>137207
Does this mean I can form the church of the DNC/RNC?

Can I have stupid liberals funnel money into my "church" and I can campaign tax free?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.